Zumba calories burned

I just took a Zumba class and wore my Polar chest strap HRM. It said I burned 672 calories for the hour! Is that possible?!! It was so fun!

Replies

• sop1love
    sop1love Posts: 23 Member
    That sounds pretty accurate to me! That about my average as well
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    That sounds high to me, unless you are well over 200 pounds. I get about 600 kcal/hr going close to maximum effort for an hour.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited July 2016
    It could be, depending on your height and weight, how intense the class was, etc. When I was over 200 lbs, I enjoyed 600-700 calorie burns for hour long high intensity cardio style classes. These days I'm lucky to break 500...
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    edited July 2016
    Jruzer wrote: »
    That sounds high to me, unless you are well over 200 pounds. I get about 600 kcal/hr going close to maximum effort for an hour.

At my hour-long circuit training classes I get about 750 kcal burn. I've gotten this same average with different HRMs. I'm 170 lbs and 5'10" female. I'm relatively strong and have a resting heart rate of about 50 bpm but it goes up fast. During circuit training I am absolutely going all-out, full body, for the entire hour. Sweat dripping off me kind of effort.

@sweetpea813 do you feel like you're putting in a huge amount of effort, or are you at a higher starting weight?
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member

At my hour-long circuit training classes I get about 750 kcal burn. I've gotten this same average with different HRMs. I'm 170 lbs and 5'10" female. I'm relatively strong and have a resting heart rate of about 50 bpm but it goes up fast. During circuit training I am absolutely going all-out, full body, for the entire hour. Sweat dripping off me kind of effort.

@sweetpea813 do you feel like you're putting in a huge amount of effort, or are you at a higher starting weight?

To be clear, I'm talking about net kcal burned. So gross for me is closer to 720 kcal/hour, 165 lb 5'7" male.

@sweetpea813, it's hard to tell if it's a little high or not. But regardless, if it was fun hopefully it will induce you to keep at it!
  • sweetpea813
    sweetpea813 Posts: 112 Member
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I am 5'9" and weigh 174 at the moment. I didn't slack in class. I put in a huge effort but I am also used to exercise just not all the jumping and dancing. Apparently, the teacher I had was the most intense. I only logged 500 calories for exercise even though it said 672. My new favorite class!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    If it was an intense class and you were keeping up with the instructor, yes.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    edited July 2016

To be clear, I'm talking about net kcal burned. So gross for me is closer to 720 kcal/hour, 165 lb 5'7" male.

@sweetpea813, it's hard to tell if it's a little high or not. But regardless, if it was fun hopefully it will induce you to keep at it!

That makes sense. With a low heart rate I burn 60-70 kcal an hour doing nothing, so I guess 680-690 gross kcal.

@sweetpea813 I usually only log and eat back about 50% of what I burn, because it helps build a buffer for bad logging ;)