Wine Tour calories?

Dove0804
Dove0804 Posts: 213 Member
Hey there everyone! I'm trying to figure something out- I have a wedding week coming up and part of it involves a wine tour. I'm letting myself go over on my typical calorie deficit for the special events, but I still want to keep some kind of log about what I'm consuming even if it's inaccurate.

What kind of calories would you put on a day of wine tasting? Let's say 30-35 tastings of various types of wine. I know some places give you more of a "taste" than others, and I probably won't finish the ones I don't like, but it'd be nice to have some idea. I'm having a hard time coming up with a number and was curious if what others come up with matches what I was thinking.

Silly question, I know, but thanks for humoring me! I'm not great at guessing calories from any kind of alcohol.

Replies

• SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    Dove0804 wrote: »
    Hey there everyone! I'm trying to figure something out- I have a wedding week coming up and part of it involves a wine tour. I'm letting myself go over on my typical calorie deficit for the special events, but I still want to keep some kind of log about what I'm consuming even if it's inaccurate.

What kind of calories would you put on a day of wine tasting? Let's say 30-35 tastings of various types of wine. I know some places give you more of a "taste" than others, and I probably won't finish the ones I don't like, but it'd be nice to have some idea. I'm having a hard time coming up with a number and was curious if what others come up with matches what I was thinking.

Silly question, I know, but thanks for humoring me! I'm not great at guessing calories from any kind of alcohol.

I was under the impression these places/ events don't give you full glasses of wines? Just about a mouthful of each wine and you're supposed to spit it out anyway (or else you may get a bit drunk). So I should imagine the calories if not swallowing the wine would be negligible

• Dove0804
    edited July 2016

I was under the impression these places/ events don't give you full glasses of wines? Just about a mouthful of each wine and you're supposed to spit it out anyway (or else you may get a bit drunk). So I should imagine the calories if not swallowing the wine would be negligible

No- not full glasses, usually just a small bit, though some pourers will be rather generous.
    I think it depends on how fancy the event. The ones I've always attended/been part of, people usually drink most of what is given, but they've all been fairly low-key wineries and events. Yes, usually ending up a little tipsy by the end of the day (though the tasting is spread out over a long period of time).

Here's what I was thinking- If each pour was about 1/2 fl oz (does that sound right? I'm horrible with fl oz, but a serving is usually about 5 fl oz I believe), which is more or less 15 cal each- I come up with about 450 calories for 30 tastings (of which I probably wouldn't drink all of them.)

I guess I did ask a rather impossible question. :/
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member

No- not full glasses, usually just a small bit, though some pourers will be rather generous.
    I think it depends on how fancy the event. The ones I've always attended/been part of, people usually drink most of what is given, but they've all been fairly low-key wineries and events. Yes, usually ending up a little tipsy by the end of the day (though the tasting is spread out over a long period of time).

Here's what I was thinking- If each pour was about 1/2 fl oz (does that sound right? I'm horrible with fl oz, but a serving is usually about 5 fl oz I believe), which is more or less 15 cal each- I come up with about 450 calories for 30 tastings (of which I probably wouldn't drink all of them.)

I guess I did ask a rather impossible question. :/

Sorry I'm from the UK, we use ml here. Never used a fl oz in my life.

Best best bet is to see when you get there how big the servings are and how many you drink. extrapolate from that using a known amount of calories in a certain volume of wine how many calories you consumed.
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    If each pour is about 1/2 oz, and you're doing 30 tastings, then log 16oz of 'wine.' That way, you cover the generous pourers. 384 cals.
  • snerggly
    snerggly Posts: 112 Member
    Enjoy yourself. I don't count calories on days where I go wine tasting. I only do it a couple of year.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Idea: Put pennies or any coins in your right pocket.
    Every time you finish an ounce move a penny to your left pocket.
    At the end of the night each penny in our left pocket will equal an ounce.
    Or... you could just have fun.
    Please drive safely.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    I have it on good authority that the wine tasting calories are free :) . Enjoy, I'd do your best to guesstimate how much you consume at each place and enter a generic wine. Have fun.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    I would guess 1 oz pour rather than 1/2 oz, but I would just be guessing. I would ask one of the friendlier wine pourers, they probably have some sort of a premeasured jigger and can tell you.

I would also keep a little notebook with me and tally how many tastings you do, my guess is by the end you might lose count...
  • Dove0804
    edited July 2016
    Thanks everyone :)
    I was wondering if it would be more like 1 oz, too.

I appreciate you all encouraging me not to worry about the count, and to an extent I'm not- I know whatever I choose is going to be inaccurate, but I'm still at a point where I have to at least try and account for what I'm consuming. I'm afraid for me several days of various wedding festivities can be my undoing if I don't TRY to keep some rein on it. After all, if I make an excuse now, I'll end up making excuses for holidays, birthdays, etc. It feels like special occasions are frequent these days, and while I do let myself enjoy what I like, for me logging can easily mean the difference between enjoying myself by eating a wide variety of things within reason, and plain out bingeing because I've given myself permission.

I'll be sure to have fun, and no worries- I won't be driving!
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    I am in the wine business, in Oregon. A legal taste, here, is 1 ounce. I would figure your tastes at 1 ounce. Also, taste and spit. Seriously. Not only will you save calories, but you will feel better too. ;)
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    I have it on good authority that the wine tasting calories are free :) . Enjoy, I'd do your best to guesstimate how much you consume at each place and enter a generic wine. Have fun.
    yup! they magically become free have the best time ever calories.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    I'd log it as cardio: cross-training, intense: 90 mins.

Should be just fine :)
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member

"Sorry I'm from the UK, we use ml here. Never used a fl oz in my life"

Sophie Small95, I am guessing you are 20 or 21 (based on 95) When you are as old as I am, (52) fl oz is what you were brought up on, even in the UK :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Typical tasting room pour appears to be 1.5 oz.
  • Triathlete1502
    Triathlete1502 Posts: 103 Member
    It should be negligible if you're only taking a sip or two per glass (with or without spitting), in a typical wine tasting. No one expects you to drain each glass!

That said, getting married is supposed to be a once-in-a-lifetime event, so everyone would understand if anyone drinks more and becomes a tad merry.

At least you're not driving or this is not a cycling wine tour? This thread brings back fond memories of a wine tasting tour in Wachau Valley, Vienna. I've had to cycle back....
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    I'd also turn on some sort of step counter so you have a sense of how much calories you expended during your tour. It might help you feel better about your tasting. Dance at lot at the reception too.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    I'd probably just log around 500 cals of wine and then forget about it and enjoy the day.
    That's going to be a wild estimation but for one day I don't worry too much about details.