Do you eat calories you exercise?

Hello. I'm new to walking and I have my Fitbit coordinated with MFP. As the exercise numbers + add calories are you suppose to eat those or just let them be?

Starting weight260
Currently over last month 247
Sometime I eat them sometimes I don't depends if I'm hungry.
I started walking 30-45 min a day.

Thanks for the insight.

Replies

• liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Most of the time I try not to eat back exercise calories, and that works for weight loss, but not for muscle building. If you are trying to get functionally fit you need to feed muscle growth with whole foods. This also means your walking includes some hills or speed challenges, or you start working on weights and balance.
    It sounds like you are trying to listen to your body and adapt, that is great. Keep at it! :)
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    If I actually go to do real exercise (not just like a walk to the store or around my office building) then I eat back 50% of them.
  • norie92
    norie92 Posts: 115 Member
    I eat up to 200 exercise calories if I'm hungry. If not, simply don't eat. You want to lose weight faster? Don't eat them. If you you'd rather lose the weight more painlessly (which is 100% fine) eat up to 200 of them. I don't stick to one or the other, as I said I eat if I'm hungry, but I make the compromise to eat only up to 200.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    I usually don't, but probably should, as I'm already eating less than my goal weight's BMR.
  • Pectinbean
    Pectinbean Posts: 62 Member
    My main inspiration for exercising is so I can eat more! So yes, I do eat the calories earned from exercise. Granted, not all of them. Just depends on how hungry I am really or what food I fancy (avocados should have fewer calories, it's not fair). I'd say I typically eat 50-75% of the calories burned as wary about how exact the calculations are.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Heck yeah. As above, it's a huge part of why I exercise and an even bigger part of why I recently upped my exercise. As my calories decrease with weight loss I want to minimise the impact that has on what I actually get to eat, so more active I must be! I want to fuel my workouts and feel awesome doing them, not like it's an uphill struggle.

I probably eat about 90% of them, leaving a little logging/calorie burn error buffer. I know I can though as I have enough data to show that I still lose my goal at that level.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I usually don't.

If I'm on a cut and I'm losing weight too fast, then I'll just bump up my daily calorie intake. Much easier and way more accurate than trying to estimate a calorie burn.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    FOR Really OVER WEIGHT People I would not suggest it unless they were on a 12 or 1300 calories diet, my 2 cents.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    norie92 wrote: »
    I eat up to 200 exercise calories if I'm hungry. If not, simply don't eat. You want to lose weight faster? Don't eat them. If you you'd rather lose the weight more painlessly (which is 100% fine) eat up to 200 of them. I don't stick to one or the other, as I said I eat if I'm hungry, but I make the compromise to eat only up to 200.

If you want to lose weight even faster, don't eat your weekend calories. Maybe up to 100 cals for Monday.

If you want to be healthy about it, use the system as it was designed, and don't go overboard.