How should I feel after week one?

Hello everyone! I started a couch to 5K program about two weeks ago. I started week one over again because I was using old shoes and felt like I wasn't able to give it my all.
I started week one again with new shoes. I do feel like I have more energy through more of the middle of the workout, I still feel kind of dead at the end. I know a week isn't a long time, but should I be feeling an improvement by the end of the week?
How do I tell if I'm ready for the next week?

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    As long as you're finishing the workouts and don't feel injured, you're ready for next week. If you get to a point where you can't finish the sessions, then you may want to repeat a week. There isn't a huge difference in intensity from Week 1 to Week 2, so don't worry too much.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    You might need to slow down your pace a bit. It's OK.
  • SageMolokai
    SageMolokai Posts: 93 Member
    AliceDark wrote: »
    If you get to a point where you can't finish the sessions, then you may want to repeat a week.

This^^ is what I did. When I couldn't finish a run, I'd go back and do the last week again. I'm currently on week 7. Good luck and happy running!

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I usually feel a bit better by the end of the week and then when it increases the next week, I want to die.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    You might need to slow down your pace a bit. It's OK.

This too. When I started, so many of my runner friends kept saying "slow down, slow down, no really, you should slow down a bit" and it took me forever to listen. They were right.

Also, are you running indoors or outside? If you're running outside, keep in mind that it's been very warm (and probably super humid in VA), so take it easy on yourself.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Dead, or close to it.
  • MinnieMay9
    MinnieMay9 Posts: 12 Member
    Also, are you running indoors or outside? If you're running outside, keep in mind that it's been very warm (and probably super humid in VA), so take it easy on yourself.

It is super humid and gross here. I can workup a good sweat standing still.
    I have been getting up earlier than I normally do to try and beat some of the heat.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    I think it can also depend on your fitness level when starting. I had a zero fitness level when I started c25k.. I mean, I literally had not exercised in 20 years. I did every week twice and then moved to the next week. The day you run your first mile without stopping you feel like a rockstar.

Keep up the good work. Keep your running pace slow (more of a jog) and don't overdo it in this damn heat. You got this!
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    I went from 290 lbs and hardly able to walk more than 2 miles to now 170 lbs (5'10", female) who can run 7 miles up and down mountains, and I'm happy where I am. (I'm not pushing for marathons or anything). I know the struggle of getting into shape from the couch. I also did it before there were any apps to tell you how to do it (about 11 years ago), and I'm glad I did. I imagine the apps are useful, but perhaps they make you gauge your own body by how you "should" feel, or in relation to the app's pacing, rather than your own pacing and ability to know your own body. It seems like folks on the thread have good advice about that...it sounds like if you need to repeat a week, you can do that!

It can take a while to get yourself to a point where you can really push your body without feeling run-down. Remember, though, exercise isn't meant to be "easy" - your muscles will be a bit sore, sweat may drip down your body, your lungs and heart will be working at a new level, your throat may be dry (I had trouble stayin hydrated in the beginning), and you'll learn coordination. However, you're also not meant to totally rip into yourself so that you've no incentive to keep going. It's a balance.

The jewel of getting fit (for me) was when I started loving exercise. When I was exhausted and at the same time absolutely exhilarated by the end. That, honestly, took about 4-6 months. It got easier before then, but the pure ease and exhilaration, and MISSING it if I miss more than 2 days, is a really happy place to be, and you can get there :)

• MinnieMay9
    MinnieMay9 Posts: 12 Member
    I think it can also depend on your fitness level when starting. I had a zero fitness level when I started c25k.. I mean, I literally had not exercised in 20 years. I did every week twice and then moved to the next week. The day you run your first mile without stopping you feel like a rockstar.

Keep up the good work. Keep your running pace slow (more of a jog) and don't overdo it in this damn heat. You got this!

Yeah, I always joke that I can't run more than 5ft. I am excited for the day that I can run all the way down my street without having to take walking breaks.

The jewel of getting fit (for me) was when I started loving exercise. When I was exhausted and at the same time absolutely exhilarated by the end. That, honestly, took about 4-6 months. It got easier before then, but the pure ease and exhilaration, and MISSING it if I miss more than 2 days, is a really happy place to be, and you can get there :)

I'm looking forward to that day. Right now I whine to my cat how it's hot out and too bright and how I have to put on sunscreen. (He is not impressed by any of these things)
    I'm just glad the app I use has a story with it or I might have given up by now.
  • kaaaayla
    kaaaayla Posts: 91 Member
    I finished c25k recently. Now am doing the 10k app. I loved it! I ran about 4 miles this morning. The most important thing is that it's almost 100% mental. Yes, you're going to be tired. Yes, you might dread doing it. But guess what? You can do it! Just get out there and get it done. Honestly, it's 30 minutes of your day-- that's hardly anything, and it gets so much easier as you go through the program. Now, running for 8 minutes and feeling tired sounds like a joke to me because I finished c25k, and you'll feel the same way soon!
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    I hurt in the early weeks. Achilles was sore, ached all over. It went away over the next couple of months. YMMV
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    The truth is you're not going to make any noticeable fitness gains for several weeks and like most new runners probably tired after a run.

Keep at it. Be consistent and gradually increase your distances and time (don't worry about speed yet, aim for a conversational pace....if you have to go really slow). If you work at it you'll go from thinking running 5k non-stop as being impossible to the point where a 10km is a routine mid-week fun run. I know....I've been there.

Good luck.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    You are not going to feel great for a while. Remember the old "Hurts so good" song? It kind of applies when starting an exercise program from almost zero. You may actually hurt the first few days, eventually it should just graduate to feeling uncomfortable and there will come a time when you realize that the discomfort is your body pushing itself and getting better and you will come to really appreciate the feeling. (Plus it will go away quickly further into the program and not linger for hours and days as it does at first)
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    As long as you're finishing the workouts and don't feel injured, you're ready for next week. If you get to a point where you can't finish the sessions, then you may want to repeat a week. There isn't a huge difference in intensity from Week 1 to Week 2, so don't worry too much.

This is the best advice for any exercise program in my opinion. If you can't do the entirety of the exercise that week, keep repeating it until you can before moving on. It's not like getting fit is a race after all.