Abs / lower back

I've been doing a lot of ab/core work outs lately. And I just can't seem to get my lower back to stop arching and lower to the ground. As a result I'm having some back pain.
What are some good ones to make sure my lower back lowers towards the ground?

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    i doubt you are having back pain from an arch in your lower back, its probably from doing the ab exercises with lack of full core engagement. There are lots of core exercises you can do that aren't on the ground. whatever exercises you do you need to be tight and have good form to protect your back.
  • mochachichi
    mochachichi Posts: 74 Member
    A lower back arch tends to be (but not always) indicative of some muscle imbalances going on. Overactive hip flexors and lat muscles coupled with underactive glutes, hamstrings and inner core muscles (transverse abdominus, internal oblique...) To work on correcting that, you can introduce flexibility exercises for your hip flexors and lats as well as strengthening exercises for your glutes and hamstrings---such as floor bridges etc.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    You are balancing opposing muscle groups in your workouts, right? Back Bows, Supermans, Swimmers for the back in conjunction with ab work. Planks, I believe, work both.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Following along as I have similar problems.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    pondee629 wrote: »
    You are balancing opposing muscle groups in your workouts, right? Back Bows, Supermans, Swimmers for the back in conjunction with ab work. Planks, I believe, work both.

This. And, yes, my experience is that planks work both. Also, keep your belly button pulled toward your spine. That really helps me not arch my back.