Plateaus Disrupted metabolism and useless Drs.

2»

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    What do you mean that the scale hasn't budged since July 2? 145.6 is a very specific number. It is normal to fluctuate up and back down several times during a month, especially at TOM. I would find it quite unusual that you've been at this exact weight every day for nearly a month.
    You're not really in a plateau. A plateau is staying at the same weight for 6 weeks while maintaining the same activity and eating regime. When plateaus do happen, it's because of calorie creep or medical issues.

I've been at this for 2+ years. While I've had faster & slower periods, I've never had a plateau. I also have increased my exercise during this time and rarely "cheat" or go over my planned calories.

The last person who contacted me personally about a plateau eventually admitted she'd been eating out a lot and going off plan for the past few weeks!
  • ummijaaz560
    ummijaaz560 Posts: 228 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    What do you mean that the scale hasn't budged since July 2? 145.6 is a very specific number. It is normal to fluctuate up and back down several times during a month, especially at TOM. I would find it quite unusual that you've been at this exact weight every day for nearly a month.
    You're not really in a plateau. A plateau is staying at the same weight for 6 weeks while maintaining the same activity and eating regime. When plateaus do happen, it's because of calorie creep or medical issues.

I've been at this for 2+ years. While I've had faster & slower periods, I've never had a plateau. I also have increased my exercise during this time and rarely "cheat" or go over my planned calories.

The last person who contacted me personally about a plateau eventually admitted she'd been eating out a lot and going off plan for the past few weeks!

Well if its not a plateau then what is it? Yes, the scale reads exactly the same daily since july 2.
    I have been tested for thyroid issuse and it came back normal. I do not cheat as I eat the same things I've always eaten just within my calories.

I have opened up my diary if you'd like to see my logging. I weigh every single thing that passes my mouth.

I have been successful in weight loss up until this point, I have tried decreasing my calories and increasing my exercise and not touching my exercise calories? I would like to get past this but am at a loss, thank you for your time.
  • ummijaaz560
    I just stepped on the scale moments ago to show what its saying. Mind you its mid afternoon here and I have eaten breakfast
    How do I upload pictures from my phone?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I just stepped on the scale moments ago to show what its saying. Mind you its mid afternoon here and I have eaten breakfast

If you are getting the same exact weight for a few weeks regardless of time of day, I would suspect that something is wrong with your scale. My scale goes up and down a little each day even when I am not losing weight.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member

Well if its not a plateau then what is it? Yes, the scale reads exactly the same daily since july 2.
    I have been tested for thyroid issuse and it came back normal. I do not cheat as I eat the same things I've always eaten just within my calories.

I have opened up my diary if you'd like to see my logging. I weigh every single thing that passes my mouth.

I have been successful in weight loss up until this point, I have tried decreasing my calories and increasing my exercise and not touching my exercise calories? I would like to get past this but am at a loss, thank you for your time.

I looked at your diary, and a few things that I noticed IE: Shoprite - Finely Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese, 0.06 C how much is 0.06 of a cup? how do you know its that much of a cup?. your egg- how many grams? a large egg is usually 50 but if you arent weighing food that large egg can weigh more or less than 50g. you are weighing things in cups and tbs. only thing that should be weighed in cups or tbs is liquids. everything else should be weighed on a food scale in grams.also know that food packaging can be off for servings.your sausage links? how much did they weigh? 3 pieces can again be more or less that the package states(usually more).

another example:say a piece of meat the package claims one piece weighs 112g(4oz), but you dont weigh it that meat can end up being 5 or more oz,which means more calories than you thought,which do add up over time.The sodium levels you are taking in could also be masking weigh loss. weighing doesnt take long to do and to me it makes things easier. I started gaining weight back because I was not weighing my food.once I started and saw how big of a difference calorie wise things could be I was shocked. weighing and using measuring cups are two different things.so I would say that you are eating maintenance calories. you say you are weighing but the entries doesnt reflect that.if you are weighing on a scale you need to find different entries(a lot of mfp entries are incorrect as well).
  • ummijaaz560
    edited July 2016

If you are getting the same exact weight for a few weeks regardless of time of day, I would suspect that something is wrong with your scale. My scale goes up and down a little each day even when I am not losing weight.

I'm inclined to agree with you! The only thing that makes me feel it may be correct is having been to the Dr. 2days ago and I weighed 148 with layers of clothes on as I wear hijab and abaya on top of my regular clothes?

I figured the scales at the Drs office was close to the (145) considering all of my clothes worn?
    I will go out for a new scale to make sure.
  • ummijaaz560

I looked at your diary, and a few things that I noticed IE: Shoprite - Finely Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese, 0.06 C how much is 0.06 of a cup? how do you know its that much of a cup?. your egg- how many grams? a large egg is usually 50 but if you arent weighing food that large egg can weigh more or less than 50g. you are weighing things in cups and tbs. only thing that should be weighed in cups or tbs is liquids. everything else should be weighed on a food scale in grams.also know that food packaging can be off for servings.your sausage links? how much did they weigh? 3 pieces can again be more or less that the package states(usually more).

another example:say a piece of meat the package claims one piece weighs 112g(4oz), but you dont weigh it that meat can end up being 5 or more oz,which means more calories than you thought,which do add up over time.The sodium levels you are taking in could also be masking weigh loss. weighing doesnt take long to do and to me it makes things easier. I started gaining weight back because I was not weighing my food.once I started and saw how big of a difference calorie wise things could be I was shocked. weighing and using measuring cups are two different things.so I would say that you are eating maintenance calories. you say you are weighing but the entries doesnt reflect that.if you are weighing on a scale you need to find different entries(a lot of mfp entries are incorrect as well).

I weigh out the exact portions on the packages of foods. For example if the sausages say 3 links which should be 55 grams, I will find 3 sausages for 55grams. For the shoprite cheese, the serving size is 28grams for 110 calories. I weigh out 7 grams of the shredded cheese for 28 calories.
    If the chicken says 4ounces which is 112 grams raw or 84 grams cooked I weigh out exactly that portion in grams. If the system has it in ounces I dont change it because I have weighed out the amount in grams and dont need to change it.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member

I'm inclined to agree with you! The only thing that makes me feel it may be correct is having been to the Dr. 2days ago and I weighed 148 with layers of clothes on as I wear hijab and abaya on top of my regular clothes?

I figured the scales at the Drs office was close to the (145) considering all of my clothes worn?
    I will go out for a new scale to make sure.

I would try changing the batteries first, if you haven't already.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited July 2016
    I will try to drink more water and get more dark leafy greens in my diet. I will try to limit the use of the laxatives for now on.

How much dietary fat do you consume? Fat is important to keep things moving smoothly.

Also make sure your change the batteries in your scale every few months.

And all of this. You're not weighing all your solid and semi solid foods on a food/kitchen scale in grams. Also, choose database entries that reflect the packaging information of that food. For home cooked meals, use the recipe builder instead of choosing the generic entries for it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    @ummijaaz560 thanks for opening your diary. Please change something like Sodium or Sugar to Fiber. I'd like to see how close to your fiber target you've been.
  • ummijaaz560
    If the weight in grams comes to the exact amounts I do not change it, as long as I weigh the serving I dont care what it says because I know that I have weighed everything.

I do not ever use tablespoons or cups. I weigh my eggs and if they are 50grams, I leave it be.

The only time I change the entries is if I cannot get the exact portion amounts in grams. So if a slice of bread is 24 grams and its serving is for 25 grams I will divide the 24grams by 25 to get 0.96 a serving.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited July 2016
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    @ummijaaz560 thanks for opening your diary. Please change something like Sodium or Sugar to Fiber. I'd like to see how close to your fiber target you've been.

If you go to her diary and click on printable report you can see 16 grams of fiber. Maybe onll possible to view on a laptop. Dunno.

ETA: July 24,25,26 fiber was 37,31 and 35 respectively.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    I'm wondering if you could manage to lower your sodium levels. I wonder if you use processed foods these are high in the stuff. Too high levels for you can contribute to constipation it makes things really slugish. Its a horrid position to be in, hope you find your answer soon.
  • ummijaaz560
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    I'm wondering if you could manage to lower your sodium levels. I wonder if you use processed foods these are high in the stuff. Too high levels for you can contribute to constipation it makes things really slugish. Its a horrid position to be in, hope you find your answer soon.

I dont always so much have processed foods.
    Things have been tight recently and its what I have until I can start cooking homemade again. I agree with you about the sodium its ridiculous.

If you look at my recipes in my diary I have lots that I have made using the recipe builder.
    For those saying I dont weigh my food using a scale, I promise you I do. Im the girl who took her food scale to a all you can eat buffet for science :p
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Put some new batteries in your scale. I'm not saying this is definitely the answer, but to be the exact same weight every time you weigh yourself sounds very off. Try this before you change anything else.
  • kshama2001
    kpk54 wrote: »

If you go to her diary and click on printable report you can see 16 grams of fiber. Maybe onll possible to view on a laptop. Dunno.

Aha! Thanks!

@ummijaaz560 I see the main source of fiber for you these days is Miralax. Up until July 3 you were eating lima beans regularly and they were giving you 30 g of fiber per 1/2 cup. Did your constipation start after you stopped eating the lima beans?
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    edited July 2016
    Take your measurements on a regular basis. I do once a week. There are significant periods of time where my weight doesn't change or even slightly increases while my measurements stay the same or decrease. This tells me I'm still on track. What the scale says is less important and rewarding than how your body looks and how your clothes fit. BTW, I measure the thigh right below the gluteal fold rather than the neck; apparently this is more telling in women whereas the neck is better for men. Or so my trainer tells me...
  • ummijaaz560

Aha! Thanks!

@ummijaaz560 I see the main source of fiber for you these days is Miralax. Up until July 3 you were eating lima beans regularly and they were giving you 30 g of fiber per 1/2 cup. Did your constipation start after you stopped eating the lima beans?

It started with fasting Ramadan since I couldnt eat or drink during the day. I would like to have the lima beans often but for the calories per serving I would still be hungry? I believe I started fasting June 5 or 6th.
  • kshama2001

Aha! Thanks!

It started with fasting Ramadan since I couldnt eat or drink during the day. I would like to have the lima beans often but for the calories per serving I would still be hungry? I believe I started fasting June 5 or 6th.

Sure, after this meal you'd still be hungry as there weren't many calories or protein:

e593f4bd7c5e3204057e3a9760236387.png

But what about after this type of meal?

f18297820a1608da550e968f35c971b1.png

• ummijaaz560

Aha! Thanks!

Sure, after this meal you'd still be hungry as there weren't many calories or protein:

e593f4bd7c5e3204057e3a9760236387.png

But what about after this type of meal?

f18297820a1608da550e968f35c971b1.png

I remember being satisfied after eating that meal, I'd used the ground turkey and made a turkey patty from it!