6 month mark - 45 pounds down!

girl_inflames
girl_inflames Posts: 375 Member
Give or take a couple pounds :lol:
I'm not sure how to post pictures or I would! I'm super excited about my loss so far and I have a couple more goals left. Next - get to 140, and after that I want to learn how to start lifting. :smile:

Replies

• Tisa76
    Tisa76 Posts: 86 Member
    Congratulations on your achievement! Keep up the great work!
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    fantastic job!! But why wait to start lifting, you'd be amazed at what you can do now!
  • girl_inflames
    fantastic job!! But why wait to start lifting, you'd be amazed at what you can do now!
    I want to lose fat first...I don't know why I just always thought I needed to lose excess fat first
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Lift now! You won't regret it! I started lifting when I was still 40 pounds away from my goal weight. Still have at least 20 to go, but lifting saves your muscle and CHANGES your body.
    +1

OP, congrats on your loss :)

• DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    DiaryOfaThickFitWoman Posts: 406 Member
    Op great job, there are probably something's you can do to increase your weight lose speed, like measuring food to be sure you are eating within your calorie goals, maybe lowering or even increasing your calorie intake, increasing cardio or adding strength training. I will say "they" say, consistent and slow is best.....so if you ask me you are doing quite well, especially being about to maintain your lost after all this time.

Lift now! You won't regret it! I started lifting when I was still 40 pounds away from my goal weight. Still have at least 20 to go, but lifting saves your muscle and CHANGES your body.
    ypnypjspy1bk.jpg
    This is only like 15 lb difference in weight.
    And 2 months in between pictures.

Now with this, I was just actually wondering, why do some folks choose to lift after weight loss vs. during ? What's the difference?

Also, what do I need to do to ensure that my arms don't get bulky in the process, I hate my arms and want them smaller and lean, not large anymore, and def not muscular or cut. Personally just not into that look for arms , guess it's a Fabio with them being so large :-(
  • girl_inflames
    @Angelbeee Thanks! And I also don't want big arms. I'm curious too!
  • lilysmama08
    lilysmama08 Posts: 60 Member
    It's a myth that women get bulky when they lift weights. You do not get bulky. You have to eat at a major surplus + have lottssss of testosterone in order for that to happen.

Lift heavy. I promise you won't get bulky arms. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn just sitting around doing nothing.

If you do not work the muscle while losing weight, when you get to your goal you will have lost lots of muscle and end up looking "skinny fat" which definitely isn't my goal.
  • girl_inflames
    edited July 2016
    It's a myth that women get bulky when they lift weights. You do not get bulky. You have to eat at a major surplus + have lottssss of testosterone in order for that to happen.

Lift heavy. I promise you won't get bulky arms. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn just sitting around doing nothing.

If you do not work the muscle while losing weight, when you get to your goal you will have lost lots of muscle and end up looking "skinny fat" which definitely isn't my goal.

Maybe what I consider bulky and what you consider bulk are different? I consider my cousin bulky -- she does weights and pole aerobics. I consider big arms bulky...I want to be lean. I'll have to find pictures to explain

Also. I have no idea what lifting heavy means. 10 pounds is heavy for me...is that lifting heavy?
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/images/2015/2015-fitness360-square-kristina-olson.jpg
    That is unattractive to me. ^ I would like some definition but...that's just way too much.
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    edited July 2016

Hey I actually know the benefits of weights with women, and I asked someone yesterday who said what you said about getting bigger arms - it doesn't happen except with years or training with steroids, right ?

But, honestly I have seen a few ladies that lift on here with big muscle arms, I wonder if its because they did something purposely? Like take steroids. Or if they are targeting specifically their arms? Don't get me wrong it's nothing wrong with muscles on women. I just don't want that look, not sure if it's a Fabio or what. I don't even want my arms to muscle looking , I want small and lean arms, with muscle tone only. I'm going to keep lifting on calorie deficit though and trust the process

For ex. Serena Williams arms. I don't want my arms as big or muscle as hers. She's fantastic, looks great, I know those arms come in handy for her profession, they actually look Great, but even she has quoted she doesn't like the masculinity of her arms at times.
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman

Maybe what I consider bulky and what you consider bulk are different? I consider my cousin bulky -- she does weights and pole aerobics. I consider big arms bulky...I want to be lean. I'll have to find pictures to explain

Also. I have no idea what lifting heavy means. 10 pounds is heavy for me...is that lifting heavy?
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/images/2015/2015-fitness360-square-kristina-olson.jpg
    That is unattractive to me. ^ I would like some definition but...that's just way too much.

I think you and I may be on the same page. And I hope nobody is offended. It sounds like you want a soft lean look, like me. That's why I mentioned Serena Williams. Personally I like everything but her arms, for my personal preference. @girl_inflamed , based on what you said about the girl on the link, Serena Williams is probably not your preference what so ever , lol. Basically I just want my stomach to be flat, my arms to be lean, and I want to stay curvy. Granted our body shape is going to be what it is and apparently you can't target
  • girl_inflames
    @Angelbeee yes! You've got it exactly. I want curves, I want lean muscle. I don't want big muscles or bulk...my cousin has huge arms...she doesn't take steroids that I know of but she does a lot of lifting. She's also losing her curves because she's getting so much stomach definition. I want to be soft and feminine but fit. That's my goal. I'm not trying to offend anyone who wants to be any other way, that's just my personal goal
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    @Angelbeee yes! You've got it exactly. I want curves, I want lean muscle. I don't want big muscles or bulk...my cousin has huge arms...she doesn't take steroids that I know of but she does a lot of lifting. She's also losing her curves because she's getting so much stomach definition. I want to be soft and feminine but fit. That's my goal. I'm not trying to offend anyone who wants to be any other way, that's just my personal goal

Yep this is exactly what I want too
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    All in all, I have seen a lot of woman with the exact look you want, I believe the calorie deficit is a major factor -
  • FutureThoughts
    FutureThoughts Posts: 95 Member
    OP - Congrats!! You've done great work :)

Those asking about lifting - definitely check out the HALLLP LIFTING MADE ME SUPAH BULKY thread (it's something like that, lol). Might be a page or two back now, but it's full of great info and super motivational pics!! Some women in it, imo, did get a little bulky, but I think that's more what they wanted. Maybe their goals changed to reaching new personal records of certain lifts and not just physique/appearance? But I think to get muscular they really focused on reaching those PRS and strongly focused on diet, macros, etc. Either way, I encourage everyone to go thru that post, it's awesome!!
  • lilysmama08

Heavy lifting is directly determined by YOU. Right now I don't lift more than 10lbs per hand for any upper body workout. Lifting heavy means you have to push yourself to complete the last 3 reps or so of 8 reps. You should really, really have to push thru. So for most women that's going to be 5-10 pounds, starting out.

Now, for lower body, it's a different story. Right now I do 40 lbs (2 20 lb dumbells) deadlifts, squats, and lunges. And that's nothing. Some women lift 100+ for squats. And I promise they don't look bulky in the slightest.

I think you would have to be working out your arms 4+ times a week to get a ton of muscle. I stick to twice a week for upper body, and 3 times a week for lower body. Seems to be working for me.
  • lilysmama08
    OP - Congrats!! You've done great work :)

Those asking about lifting - definitely check out the HALLLP LIFTING MADE ME SUPAH BULKY thread (it's something like that, lol). Might be a page or two back now, but it's full of great info and super motivational pics!! Some women in it, imo, did get a little bulky, but I think that's more what they wanted. Maybe their goals changed to reaching new personal records of certain lifts and not just physique/appearance? But I think to get muscular they really focused on reaching those PRS and strongly focused on diet, macros, etc. Either way, I encourage everyone to go thru that post, it's awesome!!

This!!! I love that thread.
  • girl_inflames
    @lilysmama08 oooh! okay that makes a lot of sense. Thank you!
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman

Heavy lifting is directly determined by YOU. Right now I don't lift more than 10lbs per hand for any upper body workout. Lifting heavy means you have to push yourself to complete the last 3 reps or so of 8 reps. You should really, really have to push thru. So for most women that's going to be 5-10 pounds, starting out.

Now, for lower body, it's a different story. Right now I do 40 lbs (2 20 lb dumbells) deadlifts, squats, and lunges. And that's nothing. Some women lift 100+ for squats. And I promise they don't look bulky in the slightest.

I think you would have to be working out your arms 4+ times a week to get a ton of muscle. I stick to twice a week for upper body, and 3 times a week for lower body. Seems to be working for me.

Great advice. BTW

I'm at 50 lbs and I can do 5 reps upper, squats about 10 reps. I only lift about 1-2 a week though ,in short sessions, but I do alot of free squats weekly. I don't see myself surpassing 100 lbs, by choice. I think I will just focus on increasing reps. Not sure if my plan is beneficial or not, I guess the next few months will tell
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!