Core

Options
Hi people, I'm looking for core excerises I'm not interested in 6pack just need to get a good core.
Basically messed up my back with disc problems and sciatica and need to strengthen my core to help support it. Crunchs are not an option due to back posture curling the spine...
Anyone got any good ideas.
Anything that makes my top half of body fold forward causes nerve pain.

Replies

• maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Could you get to a yoga or pilates class? Ideally a private one so things can be modified for you.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Planks (lots of varieties), military presses and squats (if you can handle the compression), but generally I would recommend that you talk to a sports physiotherapist and/or trainer to establish the exact exercises that you can perform and crucially to ensure that you do these with absolutely perfect form.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Planks (lots of varieties), military presses and squats (if you can handle the compression), but generally I would recommend that you talk to a sports physiotherapist and/or trainer to establish the exact exercises that you can perform and crucially to ensure that you do these with absolutely perfect form.

all of this
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Planks and pallofs
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Since we're all physical therapists here...

I have similar problems, though mine aren't as bad as yours sound. I've been doing a lot of pivot presses, leg/knee raises, roll-outs, weighted side bends and back extensions.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Since we're all physical therapists here...

I have similar problems, though mine aren't as bad as yours sound. I've been doing a lot of pivot presses, leg/knee raises, roll-outs, weighted side bends and back extensions.

Re: stuff in bold - of the 5 answers so far 3 have recommended professional 1-2-1 assessment so it's not like everyone is throwing around crap advice with gay abandon.
  • Movemoreguy22
    Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Cheers peeps I give it a try.
    How often should I do these every other day??
    Cos my right hamstring is so tight from protecting nerve, I've been trying to stretch it out and it is a nightmare could cause me more pain. so leg raises can look weird with one straight leg and one leg no where near straight haha
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    As stated above...

They will have a better understanding of how frequently you need to perform the exercises.

• Movemoreguy22
    Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Cheers bud