Working out makes me want to throw up

Hey guys so I take kickboxing, ultimate daily training, boot camp classes at my ufc gym. Often times I feel like throwing up during the workouts. The coach said that's normal and a sign that I am pushing myself. Anything I can do to eliminate this ?

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,992 Member
    Are you working out fasted?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Back off the intensity just a little and/or not eat beforehand.
  • dae6
    dae6 Posts: 4 Member
    Water helps. Lots of water. I used to get this feeling I n the gym years ago, and I'm pretty sure I was rather dehydrated . Also if you go into a high intensity workout like that without having eaten in hours you're probably not going to feel too well.
  • superpowers2016
    superpowers2016 Posts: 76 Member
    cathipa wrote: »
    Are you working out fasted?

Sometimes or when I feel like I need the energy I'll eat something light like a tbsp of almond butter, rice cake or a protein bar
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited July 2016
    You are pushing yourself too hard. Certain macho gyms tend to view that with pride (bad MMA and Crossfit ones) but in reality it is just plain stupid. Exercising is meant to improve yourself, slowly and surely. Going to the extreme until vomit/injury works against that, and all it does is stroke the trainer's ego ("OH look I'm such a good trainer cause I pushed someone so hard, if you want results come to me! That person just couldn't handle it but you can cause you are tough!").

It's like getting a gym noob to bench 225lbs and the weight crushes him due to the trainer's ego. A good trainer will have that gym noob start at the weight they can handle, even if it just the 45lbs bar, and eventually work up to the 225lbs bench press.

My advice to you is to scale back and ease up, and increase intensity little by little. Don't let the trainer push you into throwing up. Also, have a higher carb meal before to give you fuel and energy (though don't overeat, you don't want to gain weight). Look up TDEE and counting calories for more information.

In a couple of weeks you will notice yourself getting better, and in a couple of months, you will keep up with the class fully without feeling nauseated!
  • superpowers2016
    Thanks guys
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    The urge to vomit is caused by a build up of metabolic waste products in the blood stream. A small portion of these are able to seep through the blood brain barrier and are sensed by the limbic system. This, in turn, causes a parasympathetic response to rid the body of these metabolic waste products.

Because of the type of chemical mechanisms at play, our bodies are able to acclimate to the elevated levels of waste products but it will take time and consistency.

I used to feel like puking when I trained in the heat (I lift and do bjj with no a/c... in TX) but now that doesn't happen at all. Even when I have particularly hard sessions I don't get nauseous anymore.

There's nothing wrong with getting a little queasy here and there when you train. Just keep training hard and stay hydrated and you'll be fine.
  • superpowers2016
    Lofteren wrote: »
    The urge to vomit is caused by a build up of metabolic waste products in the blood stream. A small portion of these are able to seep through the blood brain barrier and are sensed by the limbic system. This, in turn, causes a parasympathetic response to rid the body of these metabolic waste products.

Because of the type of chemical mechanisms at play, our bodies are able to acclimate to the elevated levels of waste products but it will take time and consistency.

I used to feel like puking when I trained in the heat (I lift and do bjj with no a/c... in TX) but now that doesn't happen at all. Even when I have particularly hard sessions I don't get nauseous anymore.

There's nothing wrong with getting a little queasy here and there when you train. Just keep training hard and stay hydrated and you'll be fine.

Wow that's interesting I'll have to read more on that....
  • megan_elizabeth8
    megan_elizabeth8 Posts: 216 Member
    This has happened to me before! However every time it has happened it has been when I haven't eaten for an extended period before working out, and/or if I am not drinking enough. Everyone is different, but personally I find that eating before working out (although not a big meal just before!) and drinking constantly - before and throughout - makes everything much easier for me! If I do this I don't feel sick while training. Of course, backing off on the intensity may also be a good idea. It's great to push yourself, but not too much! :smile: I personally work out to be healthy, and I don't believe that throwing up during my workout is healthy. Good luck! :smile:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I only get this feeling when i am pushing myself too hard and beyond my limits. ESPECIALLY when it's a high cardio load. I recommend you bring it down a notch.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    I'm with the bring it down a notch until you've improved your endurance and ability to recover. Building gradually also reduces the potential for injury. We should feel good after exercise, even if we've pushed it a little, but not sick at every attempt. Testing the best time for you to fuel up is also a good idea. I eat a banana half an hour before running, but I don't do well fasted or soon after a meal.
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    Experiment with different meal sizes and times prior to a work out. I'm the opposite of most of the thread's responses and generally end up nauseated/vomiting if I eat anything but a half muffin or a quarter cup of milk before exercising (usually need 90-120 minutes).
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    I had it happen after my first 5k. I had a gulp of Gatorade/water mix half-way, then sprinted the last 100 yards. Didn't end up puking, but felt a lot better after burping up the air I swallowed with the Gatorade/water mix.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    You are pushing yourself too hard. Certain macho gyms tend to view that with pride (bad MMA and Crossfit ones) but in reality it is just plain stupid. Exercising is meant to improve yourself, slowly and surely. Going to the extreme until vomit/injury works against that, and all it does is stroke the trainer's ego ("OH look I'm such a good trainer cause I pushed someone so hard, if you want results come to me! That person just couldn't handle it but you can cause you are tough!").

It's like getting a gym noob to bench 225lbs and the weight crushes him due to the trainer's ego. A good trainer will have that gym noob start at the weight they can handle, even if it just the 45lbs bar, and eventually work up to the 225lbs bench press.

My advice to you is to scale back and ease up, and increase intensity little by little. Don't let the trainer push you into throwing up. Also, have a higher carb meal before to give you fuel and energy (though don't overeat, you don't want to gain weight). Look up TDEE and counting calories for more information.

In a couple of weeks you will notice yourself getting better, and in a couple of months, you will keep up with the class fully without feeling nauseated!

Nailed it.