Slow and proud!

Replies

• Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 860 Member
    edited July 2016
    It feels slow when people who are thirty years older than me are overtaking me.

What gets me is when someone passes me and they are pushing a stroller.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    robininfl wrote: »
    SueInAz wrote: »
    I run therefore I am a runner, not a jogger or anything else, regardless of the fact that I am slow. :smile: I'll never be fast and I'm fine with that.

I run every other day and I run alone. I do run races because I like to see my progress year over year not because I'm competing with anyone else. I'm not concerned about winning anything no matter how small the race because there will always be someone faster than I. I've been running the same half marathon every year since I started running and it's a good way for me to see how much faster I've become. In 2012 I finished it in under 2:43. 2013 - 2:33. In 2014 they changed the course and added a big hill at miles 9 & 10. Ugh! That year I finished in 2:40. In 2015 it was 2:26 and this year I did it in 2:18! I've actually discovered that the more training miles I put in during the months before that race the faster I get and the easier the last few miles are. I'm hoping this year to beat 2:10.

SueInAz, look, you are right in the middle of times for your age in a half marathon. Middle of the pack isn't slow, you run at an average speed :)

Here is a calculator:

runnersworld.com/tools/age-grade-calculator
    Age-Graded Score: 53.73%
    Age-Graded Time: 2:01:21

Your age-graded score is the ratio of the approximate world-record time for your age and gender divided by your actual time. To score 100% as a 50-year-old woman, you would need a time of 1:14:09.

What do you know? I'll take middle of the pack. :smile: I'm not that fast now, though. I ran 5K this morning in about 36 minutes. I run far fewer miles in the summer when it's really hot and there are no races to train for. That half marathon I always run is in January in Phoenix.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I run often, but in the only legit race I ran, I got passed by strollers, kids AND dogs. Just enjoy yourself.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Geez, people complaining that a 10 min mile is slow just makes me feel horrible. I'd think I'd died and gone to heaven if I could run that fast!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    robininfl wrote: »
    SueInAz wrote: »
    I run therefore I am a runner, not a jogger or anything else, regardless of the fact that I am slow. :smile: I'll never be fast and I'm fine with that.

I run every other day and I run alone. I do run races because I like to see my progress year over year not because I'm competing with anyone else. I'm not concerned about winning anything no matter how small the race because there will always be someone faster than I. I've been running the same half marathon every year since I started running and it's a good way for me to see how much faster I've become. In 2012 I finished it in under 2:43. 2013 - 2:33. In 2014 they changed the course and added a big hill at miles 9 & 10. Ugh! That year I finished in 2:40. In 2015 it was 2:26 and this year I did it in 2:18! I've actually discovered that the more training miles I put in during the months before that race the faster I get and the easier the last few miles are. I'm hoping this year to beat 2:10.

SueInAz, look, you are right in the middle of times for your age in a half marathon. Middle of the pack isn't slow, you run at an average speed :)

Here is a calculator:

runnersworld.com/tools/age-grade-calculator

Hey, that's really cool. Thanks for sharing. I appear to be firmly in the middle of the pack. And I'm more than happy with that. I've been overtaken by stroller pushers, dog walkers, and once during my first half marathon, I was passed by an amputee (I found out later she was an army vet).
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Philtex wrote: »
    It feels slow when people who are thirty years older than me are overtaking me.

What gets me is when someone passes me and they are pushing a stroller.

A few years ago I did a few races where the guy in 2nd place, in a 10K, was pushing a stroller + kid.
  • cricket490
    cricket490 Posts: 31 Member
    It does not matter if you run fast or slow at least you are off the couch and running. I am slowly (very slowly) getting back into my running and it is tough, fun, sweaty and nobody understands why you do it. Unless you run........
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    lalee115 wrote: »
    I don't run cause, frankly, I hate it... but this thread got me thinking about how yesterday I was coming home from the grocery store and saw the girls' high school cross country team running alongside the road. There was a large pack together, and about 20 yards behind them was one solo girl, chugging along. I felt a surge of pride for this girl I've never seen before and probably never will again. She was out there doing it, slow or not. I wanted to roll down the window and yell some encouragement, but I was already past the and it would have probably been weird or lost in the wind anyway. lol

So, you go, you slow runners!!!!

I don't know if it's the same for runners or not, but as a cyclist, if somebody yells something and I can't make out what, I assume it's something rude. :disappointed:
  • wholenewme03
    wholenewme03 Posts: 95 Member
    It's so refreshing to know that there are runners out there who do it not for the competition, but for the pure joy of the run! You guys rock :)
  • chassp8pooh
    chassp8pooh Posts: 131 Member
    Slow and steady wins the not so race for me. I do want to do a 5k but right now I am just running for the sheer joy of it!
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Like a lot of people here, 10 min/mile is fast for me! I normally do my long runs at 11:45-12:00 min/mile. Shorter distances around 11:00-11:30. Or even slower when the weather is so hot and sticky like it is lately.
  • Sandra37405
    Sandra37405 Posts: 20 Member
    Unless you are an elite runner, who cares? I no longer run but when I did a race my attitude was "I'm not going to win and I'm not going to die." Just enjoy yourself! Although I didn't like being so far in the back that the ambulance was right behind me.
  • treegirl97
    treegirl97 Posts: 70 Member
    I'm a pretty slow runner too. When I ran my first 5K in April, a guy with an artificial leg left me in the dust!!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    I pass trees and stop signs. Occasionally people.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    The fastest I could ever run was about a 8.5min mile over 5K, and usually 9-9:30 min miles. I considered myself middle of the pack AT BEST then, and I have to laugh now I'm coming back from an injury and stuck at a 11-min-mile pace whilst my knee toughens back up :'(

In all seriousness I love running. Doesn't matter what speed you're going, it's the sense of personal accomplishment I like.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    I pass trees and stop signs. Occasionally people.

You must be super fast then!

I take part in a local Halloween 5k every year. My goal each time is to beat the young woman dressed as a taco. Never managed it, but I live in hope. Last year I was finally able to overtake the guy in a Gumby suit, but that was only because his shoelace came undone right before the finish line and I zipped shuffled past him.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited July 2016
    yesimpson wrote: »
    The fastest I could ever run was about a 8.5min mile over 5K, and usually 9-9:30 min miles. I considered myself middle of the pack AT BEST then, and I have to laugh now I'm coming back from an injury and stuck at a 11-min-mile pace whilst my knee toughens back up :'(

In all seriousness I love running. Doesn't matter what speed you're going, it's the sense of personal accomplishment I like.

This is about where I am. I can juuuuust run a sub-2:00:00 half-marathon and I can manage about an 8:00-8:30 min/mile for 5K, and my usual "easy run" pace is about a nine minute mile outdoors or nine and a half on the treadmill (contrary to most people I seem to find it easier to run faster outdoors?)

I'm not quite 30 and female so that places me pretty much smack in the middle of the pack, but I feel very, very slow at races for sure when so many people are zooming past me.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    In my 20s I was running 7 minute miles now that I am in my 30s and I have just got back into the swing of running I am doing 11 minute miles. Often times during races I have ran I actually run slower because I am so afraid of burning out near the end, mind tricks! I hope to work on increasing my speed over the next year, but as long as I enjoy it that is all that matters to me!
  • buckleten
    buckleten Posts: 205 Member
    I am obviously a super slow runner, as I tend to do around 11.40-12 minute miles! Don't think I will ever dare to enter a race of any kind..
  • llmg970
    llmg970 Posts: 257 Member
    Just over two years ago I had finally run my first 2 miles straight on my treadmill. I was so proud. I had gone to a cookout later that day and was telling my family how I had run 2+miles and I did it in 30 minutes. My brother in law piped up "that's barely a 15 min/mile". That was very humbling and definitely took me down a notch when I should have just replied "when was the last time you ran one mile straight". But unfortunately my lack of self confidence kicked in first and just didn't say anything. I will admit it probably affected me more than I knew as sometime after that I started to slip backwards not running as much, eating more and eventually gained 10 lbs back.
    Now I am happy to say I am back to interval training, I will be ready to try the 2 miles again in a few weeks. And I will try my hardest not let anyone else get me down like that again.