August (2016) Running Challenge

Stoshew71
Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
It's August already. Time for another edition of the running challenge. You set your own pace and distance for the month. We will all be doing it together. This is your virtual running group to keep you accountable and enjoy a virtual coffee with your fellow runners after you run. Make new friends and learn a few things.

Hi everyone. This is a continuation from the July 2016 Running Challenge which can be found at:
http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10417366/july-2016-running-challenge/

Anyone can join in. New & Old. And if you found this thread late, you can join in at any time.
We have members that are total beginners all the way to marathon maniacs and beyond. We are a friendly and encouraging bunch.

Here the details from last month that applies here again.

Anybody want to join me for a running challenge? Set a goal here and mark it every day here. OPTIONAL: You can post your progress by creating a ticker at http://www.tickerfactory.com (If creating ones seems difficult, then don't let that stop you. Just type in your daily miles here.)

You can run, walk, or do treadmill. Just be consistent. I am setting a goal for 250 miles. Don't let my high (or low) goal intimidate you. Some can do 25, 50; whatever you like. We can help motivate each other. What do you say? If you are new to running, set a low goal. (You can also log your miles in km's if you choose.)

You can set your goal now but wait until Monday July to start logging your runs.

Also, don't forget to join our group which can be found at:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/21182-monthly-running-challange

There you will find lots of good info, and it's a place where everyone can talk to each other for further motivation. It's also a place to find help when there is a problem with this thread.

After you run, come into this thread and post what you did. (don't forget to hit the star in the upper right corner to bookmark this thread) Keep a running tally of what you did this month, and interact with the others. Many folks come in here and chat it up even on their rest days or while recouping from injury. This is a very social group and we talk about many things to include running. Very friendly bunch here so don't be afraid to say hi (even if this is your first time). Talk about a recent race or one coming up. Ask questions, provide answers, or just learn. Participation is what makes this group successful.

Not quite sure how to log your runs, follow what many other people are doing. Even look at last month's thread that I posted above.

*******OPTIONAL TICKER*************
Info on tickers since I know there will be questions. Sign up for an account http://www.tickerfactory.com and create your ticker.
Then you need to update it after you do a run and post it here. Here is what you will need to do.

After setting up your ticker, you will need to make note of the weblink they give you so you can return. An example would be:

http://www.tickerfactory.com/exercise/w6K1EiX/ <<<< the last part will be a part of the image link (explained below) that will be supplied to you after you initially create your link.

When you return to TickerFactory with the weblink, go to your settings page. Make sure you type your pin in that you set when you created your ticker account.
Then where it says "Your current cumlative value, there is an add button. Just add what you just did and the cumlative value automatically changes. Then hit next.

Now after you added your new miles (or km's) to your ticker you need to post it here.

After you hit next, it will give you a bunch of codes suggesting on how to display your ticker.
Use the one at the bottom where it says Direct Image URL:

It will look something like:
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w6K1EiX/exercise.png

To display that correctly in your post, make sure you place the img tags around that link. So it will look, (removing the spaces in the img tags):

[ img ] http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w6K1EiX/exercise.png [ /img ]

^^^^^^^ Don't forget to remove the spaces between the brackets. ^^^^^^^^^^

Some key things to pay attention to when posting your ticker.

1: Use the link that ends in .png
2. Remember the [ img] and [ /img] tags go in between the link
3. remove the spaces in the img tags before posting
4. YES, there is a / in the second /img tag

Good luck! And happy running (or walking or treadmilling, ect). If you have any trouble or have questions, please feel free to PM me.

Stan

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Second! I know I might regret this, but I'm gonna go for 125 in August.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Still doing some base building for Chicago in October so I'll aim for 200 miles, including 8 sessons involving some speedwork/threshold pace/zone 4 work.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Thanks for putting up the thread, @Stoshew71 !

I'm in again. Time to ramp up the monthly distance a little, since I've only got three month left until my first marahton. So my goal for August will be 250km.

So far, I haven't signed up for any races. I might want to do a trail race on the 20th of August, but I can't decide which one - either 14km (410m elevation+/-) or 27km (1000m elevation+/-). Since it would be my first trail race, the short one would probably be the more sensible choice...
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Even though I'm going to make 100 for July, things are going to start to get crazy at the end of August, so I won't have the same flexibility in my schedule. I'm going to stick with 95 as a goal.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Plan calls for 285 miles, but like this month I'll probably go over a bit. Fortunately only 1 really ugly long run of 22 miles, the rest are cake walks at 16-18 miles. Unfortunately my Wednesday middle distance runs are 14 miles, 3 @ 15 miles and a 9 miles 6x600 VO2Max workout. Thursdays are gonna suck.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    I'm in for 110 miles this month. Thanks Stan.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    I'm going to make a conservative goal of 50 miles for August. There will be a few days where I'll be out of town and probably unable to run. But I may re-evaluate mid month since I totally killed my goal in July.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    85 for this month running 4 times a week. No planned events but training for me officially begins for my first 100k in October.
  • MeBarbM
    MeBarbM Posts: 1 Member
    I would love to join the challenge. 75 miles for Aug. Thanks.

I'm very new to posting and hope to figure it out.
  • Beeky85
    Beeky85 Posts: 257 Member
    Love to join - 75mike goal for me: as set by my hubby. So glad he has so much faith.:P
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Azercord wrote: »
    85 for this month running 4 times a week. No planned events but training for me officially begins for my first 100k in October.

@Azercord
    I have mad respect for those who go over 50k. I don't think I have the energy management for 100k, but i've tentatively got a 6 hour time limit 50k penciled in for November if my October marathon goes as planned. Best of luck, I look forward to following your training.

• Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    @5512bf yeah I don't have a time limit on this one and I'm not going for speed either, it is just to finish. 16 hours or less is my unofficial goal but I'm not forcing myself to stick to anything. If I can handle it well I'll push one harder next year. 50k in 6 hours will be tough, where are you looking at running that one?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Welcome @mgebersold , @sjguevara23 , @Beeky85 @MeBarbM @Azercord!

Wow! Nice to see new faces.