Stronglifts Power Pack, is it worth the money?

tiffkittyw
tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
edited July 2016 in Social Groups
For my past 2 workouts the 30 lb barbell has been in use for my OHP so today instead of picking up Dumbbells I used the 40 lb barbell and only got 3/3/1/1 no 5x5 at all. I couldn't mark off the sets so it shows I failed which makes me feel bad. For those who use the premium version is it worth it to change to 5x3 or 5x1?

Replies

• lwhayes820
    lwhayes820 Posts: 145 Member
    I think it's been worth the money. I can make changes and customize. I started using the premium pack right away - so, I can't really compare to the free version
  • tiffkittyw
    Thank you.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    tiffkittyw wrote: »
    I couldn't mark off the sets so it shows I failed which makes me feel bad. For those who use the premium version is it worth it to change to 5x3 or 5x1?

i don't use anything related to 5x5 anymore, so idek what the version differences are. but i saw the feeling-bad part and i can't resist handing out a reality check. if you went from a 30lb bar to using the 45 (it's not 40 if it's a standard oly bar), you took a FIFTY PERCENT weight increase - on the lift that is hardest for everyone. and harder than that for women in particular. i'll tell you, getting 3 reps for two of the sets is impressive.

i just woke up so my social filters aren't booted up yet. i.e. this may sound rude. i hope not, but here's the thing: buying a premium package of something just because you don't want to see 'fail' on a workout that was miles ahead of your current capability is . . . well, i just think there are much better reasons for spending money. you could buy your own 30lb bar, for instance :tongue:
  • lwhayes820
    lwhayes820 Posts: 145 Member
    Well said.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    I've only done the OHP once and found it super difficult. I know it'll get better with practice, though!
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    edited July 2016
    It was worth it for me but not for that reason - I'm bad at plate math and I liked that it would do it for me and tell me which plates to put on the bar. I think it gives you warmup reps and accessories too, but I didn't use that part of the app.

Switching to the 3x5 and then 3x3 is for when you've stopped progressing - keep going with 5x5 (even if you don't make your sets) because if you want to get better at it, reducing your number of reps is not the way to go. You're doing great - just keep at it!
  • Bmoremama
    Bmoremama Posts: 84 Member
    Worth it for me.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Me too. I'm happy with it.
  • tiffkittyw
    Thank you to everyone for providing feedback.