August (2016) Running Challenge

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Trying to see if I have my math right to keep my mileage close 40 40 miles this week, but under is OK.

Monday was 4 miles
    "today" is/was 9 miles
    Tomorrow I'm planning 4 (last week was 6, but last week I ran 7 on Tuesday)
    Thursday will be about 8 or so (15 min warm up, 50 Steady State between 2:00 and 2:05 HM pace 15 min cool down)
    Friday will be 4.

That leaves me 10-11 miles for Long Run on Saturday. Does that sound correct? Last 2 weeks, mileage was 40 and 38.3. Next week is a cutback week that I'm actually, kind of, looking forward to.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    @lporter229

I'm an Adidas runner & switched from the Kayanos 18 months ago. The Adidas line for neutral is the Ultra Boost or the Energy Boost. For the lightweight racing flat it would be the Boston Boost or Adios Boost. A lot of women runners in my area wear them. The owner of the running store I use says she gets over 700 miles out of hers, but I'm only getting about 450-500 out of mine before I wear through the rubber into the foam. The research says the foam will not break down and should ride the same from mile 1 til you wear them out. I have no problem taking a new pair out of the box and running a long run in them they are so comfortable. They are incredibly cushioned however run about 1/2 - a full size smaller than the Asics. Fair warning, they are a little more narrow in the toe box but I was able to get use to that in a few weeks of running in them. The last pair of Asics Kayanos i got were about the same price as the Adidas, roughly 140-160 a pair.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    KY Tape, is that for the really intense runs?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

That's so it doesn't fall off.
  • Stoshew71
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

That's so it doesn't fall off.

:lol:
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Forgot to mention earlier for @shanaber that there's videos for how to apply the KT tape :) Like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2xYUxXrjxk

Welcome @chandanders :)

@skippygirlsmom I also forgot the other day to say I'm so jealous of Skip's shoes! I've seen those new Brooks and they're just so pretty!

@5BeautifulDays Pole dancing :-o
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    @greenolivetree - Thanks for posting that - my KT tape arrives tomorrow!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited August 2016
    Easy 3 today. :smile:

I may need to try that KT tape. I still have occasional issues with knee stiffness. Right now I use Icy Hot on it, which helps but drives my cat insane. Something about the smell of it puts him in catatonic mode.

exercise.png
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    I'm setting a stretch-goal of 90 miles...and hopefully I won't spend any more of them laying on my face in the middle of a dirt path thanks to trippy trees!

@5BeautifulDays Feeling your pain on Trippy Tree Roots then we have the Magic Ghost Rocks that seem to roll over as you step on them or Tall Grass beside a trail that some how turn into Lasso Trip Lines. But what is this Pole Dancing you mentioned?

At the end of July when doing my first Time Trial run on the Emperors Challenge Mountain Route through some Tall Grass in a Swampy Section I got tripped up by the grass being knotted together and went down. From my hiking/backpacking experience I now where Fingerless Cycling gloves with Leather Palms when on Rough Wilderness trails to prevent hand injuries from falls. Definitely saved me on more than this one occasion.
    How do you get that running tracker?
    @viktoria2493 haven't looked at all the posts so not sure if anyone has replied. Go to the First page of this thread and Stan has it all laid out in the first post. Watch the img tags - if they aren't properly placed it will not post.
    @5512bf An inspiration to others, giving back even though you have no kids involved in the school.
    @MNLittleFinn Good catch on it being the one pair of socks that seem to be an issue. Retire them and buy a replacement or 2?
    @ereck44 - Blisters UNDER your toenails? WTH - how does that happen.
    @kristinegift Welcome to the Working Stiff's. Now just to tweak your running sched to fit your work sched.
    @greenolivetree Great video clip for the KT Tape. I really like that they used differant colors to show the placement. If you flipped the Tape upside down and placed it across the back of my knee/top of my calf that is what I did for my high Calf Strain except I did not use half pieces.

Great Video clip emphasizing to clean the skin, anchor with a piece of tape that is not stretched and to cut round corners on cut pieces.

Ah KY Tape - it just keeps Giving and Giving, just like Poison Ivy. Fortunately I live far enough north we don't have Poison Ivy. Sorry for those who are fighting it.

Okay I think I have caught up to everyone's posts.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    @Somebody_Loved - I hope the KT Tape helps your knees. I had some knee issues last year, and it did wonders for me. In my case, it was primarily a shoe problem. I was wearing the same shoes for everything, and I needed more support for my really long runs (I had been running in Nike Free, but switched to Altra Torin for my long long runs). Once I made the shoe switch, the knee pain was no more.

Anyway, before I figured out that I needed to swap shoes out, I was using KT tape on both knees for all my long runs. I love it because it provided just enough support to make a difference, but was very flexible and stayed on--and comfortable--even with heavy sweating.

I also used it on my left ankle prior to surgery to help give it extra support during activity and throughout the day in general.
  • BetterMike
    BetterMike Posts: 131 Member
    8/2 - 3 Miles.

Goal - 3 of 75.
  • Stoshew71
    @lporter229 I am a very cheap and frugal person. So my buying running shoes usually ends up being, what is available on the clearance table or what I can find in discount stores.

My very first pair of running shoes were the ASICS gel keyano 20's that I found in Burlington Coat Factory for only $49. This was before i knew anything about running. I saw running shoes cheap and I was like OK, I need a pair. Had I known what I was buying I would have gotten 3 pairs. LOL I didn't know that these things normally ran $180. My next pair was at the Nike Outlets in Pigeon Forge and I got a pair of Nike Air Pegases for $70, then a pair of NB 860 V3 which I absolutely loved for only $40 at Burling Coat Factory. Had I known I would love those NB's as much as I did, I would have gotten 3 pairs as well. lol Out of all the NB's I shop for today, nothing feels as great as those 860's. Bummer.

In my hunt for more deals, I have gotten lots of other shoes that were less than ideal. I even have a pair of the ASICS GT-2000. I actually like them. Not the best feel, but I like them. But over time, I have gotten used to all these different shoes. It took some time to get adjusted and my ankles and shins may have been a little sore. But now, I can pretty much run in any shoe and not feel way bad or get injured.

Normally the advise given is to go to a specialty store, get a gait analysis, and buy the type the works with your foot and pronation type. I kinda break that rule. LOL So my personal experience doesn't really provide some real good advise that I can pass onto others.

But I am a firm believer that if you are patient and don't have really bad feet or pronation issues, then you can make most shoes work for you. But take it with a grain of salt.
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    August

2Aug - 7m

7/100miles

Intervals in the rain tonight. First time I have done this properly by myself and it was really tough but interesting. Was pleased with having done 7miles but now I see it as 7 of 100 it seems like I have given myself a tough month!

Huge number of posts, looks like everyone off to a great start.

@Stoshew71 @MNLittleFinn all that time travel is impressive, who needs a Delorean with running, weight loss and brilliant info like you guys?

@Elise4270 you are an inspiration, keep swimming, keep updating us with progress and we will all keep our fingers crossed that you will be back out with you shiny new improved running legs in no time. Hope you find some alone time meanwhile.

@kristinegift good luck in the new job, if the routine gets too much just remember it will pay for running shoes.

@TattooedDolphinGirl78 well done for getting back on it so quickly, it is really hard to get back into an eating and running routine after a splurge.

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Speaking of the Delorean time traveling car....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PEY86MQl3Y
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,067 Member
    02/08 4miles

exercise.png

I'm going to give this 60 miles another bash again this month and also I'm going to spent the rest of this evening reading everyone's posts. I've missed that this past few months.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    @Somebody_Loved - I hope the KT Tape helps your knees. I had some knee issues last year, and it did wonders for me. In my case, it was primarily a shoe problem. I was wearing the same shoes for everything, and I needed more support for my really long runs (I had been running in Nike Free, but switched to Altra Torin for my long long runs). Once I made the shoe switch, the knee pain was no more.

Anyway, before I figured out that I needed to swap shoes out, I was using KT tape on both knees for all my long runs. I love it because it provided just enough support to make a difference, but was very flexible and stayed on--and comfortable--even with heavy sweating.

I also used it on my left ankle prior to surgery to help give it extra support during activity and throughout the day in general.

So glad to hear this! I have the shoe problem taken care of, but I need something to support my knees until my strength gets built up. I tried out patellar straps last night which were ok, but my PT suggested the tape instead. Can't wait to try it out!
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member

@5beautifuldays OMG you have had a rough time of it. Heal soon! Hey the pole dancing didn't happen if there are no pictures! just sayin' LOL

Then it most assuredly did *not* happen, lol!