Replies

• TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    @skippygirlsmom School this early?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2016
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

Subject: Refueling and your diet as runners. Since a lot of you are talking about this, and I just answered 2 of the LDR's forum questions on a similar subject, I figure I throw in some of my personal observations.

I figure I throw all of this out there. Sorry if this confuses anybody.

Thanks for that Stan! It's nice knowing the how and why behind all the rules.

Alex is not taking water or fuel during his runs, I had been pushing the issue lately as his runs are getting longer and it's hot. His recovery seems fast. So maybe I should just let him do what feels right. If i give him a GU he may run a marathon...
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2016
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    ariceroni wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm Amy! I was active in these running challenges for a few months, but stopped posting in April when I had a few minor injuries back to back, cut back my mileage to recover, and was having a hard time with comparing myself too much to other runners. Anyways, I'm feeling back to my old runner self now and decided it was the perfect time to rejoin! Really glad to see a lot of the same faces around here, as well as many new ones!
    I'm currently on week 7 of training for the Chicago Marathon (my first marathon!). My goal for the month is 180 miles as specified by my training plan.

Glad you're back! There's no ranking here. But if there were a whiteboard you and @kristinegift would be our "A" team. 180 miles this month!

My vote is to include @lporter229 for "A" team as well? :smile:

Yes! There are several great female runners here!

All the female runners here are great BTW! They keep me going. love them all!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Karl, I'm not touching that one. I am loving the diversity of your routine! How is it cool? I should remember where you are.... But I don't..

Ha! I'm in Iowa. This morning at 5:30 a.m., it was a relatively cool 65° F. For most of the last month, it would have been in the 70s.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    edited August 2016
    Rest day today....cause it's Wednesday and I don't want to smell the garbage at the curb! Plus it's the first day of school and I had to take 1,000 pictures of my baby girl driving off to 11th grade!

rial9oyh3zao.png

@kristinegift glad the first day was good! Only 14,600 more until retirement. :smiley:

This makes me feel old and Skip isn't even my child! I thought that's what rest days are for. And, that day count is just mean...even if you love your job! :smiley:
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    8/1 - 40 mins total body strength + pilates, 20 min light cardio, stretching
    8/2 - 3 mi walk - .75 mi of which was running intervals to test out my leg
    8/3 - 3.1 mi walk - again I ran about .75 mi in short intervals, also a few tiny hill repeats

Running Goal: 0 of 75 miles
    Non-running goals: Take my strength training more seriously this month/Lose 5lbs (dang it!)

Tomorrow would be my normal rest day from running, so I'll go ahead with that (but do strength/pilates) and then Friday I'm going for it and trying a 3 mile run :-D Crossing my fingers everything feels rested and ready to go again.

@ariceroni I remember you! Welcome back :)

@Stoshew71 My glutes are burning just thinking about your SuckFest :-o

@sunkisd1105 C25K was too hard for me in the beginning :) I know a lot of people who just go out and run but for me it took 2 months of trying to finally run a mile without stopping. Once I got that down, it got way easier to add distance.

@MaVieEntiere Welcome to the group!

@instantmartian Great job on getting your distance back up to 7!

@MNLittleFinn Both ways probably have some advantages. Personally I'd rather get a hill over with and then have a gradual decline. Gradual incline is tough for me. But I try to make myself do both ways! I have a new route planned that's going to be 1 mile warm up run to this neighborhood, then 4 times around a .85ish mi loop, then cool down home (or knowing me it'll be more like a fast finish home. LOL). I'll put a pic of the hill loop :-D 3brrq5w5kbkd.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    @karllundy It does seem like yesterday she was a just a baby. I'm glad I'm not getting any older that it's just her. I have to admit the day count was 365 days a year so it is less than advertised :smile:
    @tattooeddolphingirl78 they are out before Memorial Day. When we first moved here they went back like the 2nd week of August, then they started adding all kinds of stupid days off. Like Fall break in October for a week followed by 3 days off for Thanksgiving, then 2 weeks off for Christmas etc etc.
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    @skippygirlsmom And I thought the kids starting on Aug 22nd this year in my neck of the woods was early... sheesh.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    School starts here Aug 15. I've noticed the southern states like LA/MS/AL/GA/FL seem to start earliest. It is nice to be out before Memorial Day though. Although we sometimes get snow here and nobody knows how to drive in it so then school goes into June because of snow days :-D
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    We start a week from today.

Not sure if this was shared yet. Sorry just can't catch up in here! What a dating profile would like for a runner, if the runner was totally honest. I think we can all relate.

http://womensrunning.competitor.com/2016/08/just-for-fun/runner-super-honest-dating-profile_62875

• TattooedDolphinGirl78
    School starts here Aug 15. I've noticed the southern states like LA/MS/AL/GA/FL seem to start earliest. It is nice to be out before Memorial Day though. Although we sometimes get snow here and nobody knows how to drive in it so then school goes into June because of snow days :-D

Then I suggest you never come up to Canada during winter... lol
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    We start a week from today.

Not sure if this was shared yet. Sorry just can't catch up in here! What a dating profile would like for a runner, if the runner was totally honest. I think we can all relate.

http://womensrunning.competitor.com/2016/08/just-for-fun/runner-super-honest-dating-profile_62875

That was hilarious!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited August 2016
    @skippygirlsmom You saw no such committment from me. I was only "intrigued". LOL
    As far as the hairy girl, yeah Cary is a different brand of runner. You have him as a FB friend? You should see some of his posts.

And today was the first day of middle school for my daughter. I saw all these "first day of school" posts all over my FB page this morning with all these great pictures of the kids, and we only got a pic of Emily's backside since she didn't want her picture taken.

xm1u3kd2d9ip.jpeg
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,384 Member
    I am taking another rest day. I hadn't exactly planned to but was considering it depending on how I felt this morning. Seeing everyone else's runs gave me pause - I really should be getting out there, it is cool with the marine layer returning, work is slow this morning, etc... but I just couldn't do it. I'm tired and another recovery day will be ok, I think, maybe, or maybe I will run this evening or maybe I will go shopping instead :)
  • 60to35
    60to35 Posts: 297 Member
    Aug 3- 3 miles easy
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    shanaber wrote: »
    I am taking another rest day. I hadn't exactly planned to but was considering it depending on how I felt this morning. Seeing everyone else's runs gave me pause - I really should be getting out there, it is cool with the marine layer returning, work is slow this morning, etc... but I just couldn't do it. I'm tired and another recovery day will be ok, I think, maybe, or maybe I will run this evening or maybe I will go shopping instead :)

If your body is telling you to take it easy, take it easy. I did that on Monday and I feel all the better for it. It's hard to ignore everyone else's commitment but you have to do what's best for you and your body. :smile:
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    jeez, all this early school starting. We can't start before Labor Day without Permission from the Governor
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    @Stoshew71 Not quite running clothes casual, but jeans casual!

@skippygirlsmom I'll put a countdown on my desk ;)
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Aug.3-3.5 miles at 11 min. pace....I'm so slow!
  • BetterMike
    BetterMike Posts: 131 Member
    8/2 - 3 Miles.
    8/3 - 4 Miles - Supposed to be HM race pace. Having not yet run one, I am guessing/hoping that is about 9 min miles. Todays run was 8:46 per mile probably because it was only 79 degrees. Any issues running it a bit faster some weeks?

Goal - 7 of 75.