How do I Get my muffin to go down?

I have been working out for 2 months now and my muffin top and my lower belly will NOT go down!!! What can I do to start seeing some results for my belly? HELP

Replies

• st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Nothing except keep doing what you're doing. You can't spot reduce but losing fat will make it go away eventually. I know it's not what you wanna hear though :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Have you been in a calorie deficit/are you tracking calories?
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Shana67 wrote: »
    This sounds mean, but I promise that I'm not a mean person and I don't mean it that way :) Buy pants that fit. If you have a muffin top, they are too tight. Buy larger jeans, wah-lah!! No muffin top :)

I didn't wanna be the one to say it...lol x.x
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    You've only been at it for two months. Give it some time. You might already have some nice definition starting to develop under there. The problem is, you'll have to lower your total body fat (which is covering it up) in order to see it. You can't will the fat to come off in a specific place. Your body does what it wants. A lot of people find that belly fat comes off last, unfortunately. Exercise alone probably won't help you achieve your goals. You have to get your body fat down along with it.

So continue with the exercise, make sure you're in a calorie deficit, and be patient. Try to incorporate strength training while you lose, so you can maintain as much lean mass as possible while losing the fat. It worked well for me, but it was a long-term investment. Nothing good comes fast and easy or everybody would have it! If you stick with it long-term you'll see it eventually! :)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Beat me to it. When you wear correctly fitted clothing, there is no muffin top.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    It sounds like you're only working out and not eating at a deficit as well. Start logging EVERYTHING you consume.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Am I the only one who sniggered at title?

OP you eat at a defecit to lose fat

Follow a progressive resistance programme to work on musculature

And you keep doing it until you get to a point you want to
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    hiyomi wrote: »
    Wear pants above your waist! Sounds cheesy, I always thought it was forever too, but the difference is amazing! Once you lose your weight, it will go away on its own :)

not easy to find pants that are at my waist let alone above...lol. I hate pants that sit at the hip or "just below" the waist. I am high waisted so pants that are suppose to be just at or below the waist sit too low on me.....I long for the high waist pants of the 70's
  • nickisa28
    nickisa28 Posts: 116 Member
    Abs are made in the kitchen. Lots of sugar and carbs will stick to that tummy no matter how many planks you do. As others have said, you can't just lose weight around your tummy so will have to lose weight overall and stay away from sweet stuff. I've been dieting and working out for 5 weeks now and my muffin top has pretty much gone but the 'mum tum' is still a work in progress. Now I'm close to my target weight, I've started focusing on abs and core exercises so when those last few pounds come of my tum, it will reveal those muscles I've been working on :)
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    This sounds mean, but I promise that I'm not a mean person and I don't mean it that way :) Buy pants that fit. If you have a muffin top, they are too tight. Buy larger jeans, wah-lah!! No muffin top :)

Not necessarily true, some people have a muffin top that's created by being squeezed in to too-tight trousers, but for some of us it's just how our body is shaped and it would take pants with an armpit high waist to smooth it out.
    My Muffin top has shrunk dramatically with weightloss but even now at 134lbs I've still got a ring donut on my hips.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member

That doesn't work for apples, unfortunately. Bigger jeans just sag and fall down, even with a belt, which needs to be so tight that the muffin top persists.

A higher waist does make a big difference, though.
  • irishmisst
    irishmisst Posts: 9 Member
    Have you checked to see if you have a stomach separation? If you have had children and still have "mummy tummy" it's prob down to this?
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    The same way you get everything else to go down. I wish there was a way to spot reduce but weight comes off where it wants.
  • DaisyM01
    DaisyM01 Posts: 6 Member
    Many people have already said you can't spot reduce fat so I won't repeat. However I watched something recently that demonstrated that sit ups (or other ab exercises I suppose) can reduce your waist by a couple of inches - you won't lose fat but stronger ab muscles with hold the fat in better. (I think it was Trust Me I'm a Doctor on BBC.)
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 431 Member
    Eat less, drinks lots of water so you're not retaining water, lift weights, do lots of cardio. You will lose that fat.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    DaisyM01 wrote: »
    Many people have already said you can't spot reduce fat so I won't repeat. However I watched something recently that demonstrated that sit ups (or other ab exercises I suppose) can reduce your waist by a couple of inches - you won't lose fat but stronger ab muscles with hold the fat in better. (I think it was Trust Me I'm a Doctor on BBC.)

That's a crock

Sit ups are an ineffective ab exercise and don't whittle your waist ...muscles don't hold in fat...fat sits on top