Loving Lifting

firef1y72
firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
So I'm slowly incorporating compound lifts in to my routine, adding one of the big 5 a week and then adding a "paltry" 2.5kg to the bar each session. I started with squats, working up from a 10kg bar to a 20kg bar and then adding weight so I'm now up to the grand total of 27.5kg (including the bar). Then I added in dead lifts, I'm so far up to the same 27.5kg. With just those 2 exercises there's been a noticeable difference in shoulder/arm definition, 3cm lost from my waist and a noticeable reduction in loose skin (although I have to admit that I do have a routine with machine work, lunges, dumbell squats, lots of tricep work etc).

As I'm so excited at the positive changes I added 2 more exercises today, bench press (using smith machine as no spotter) and I made a start at overhead press, which after reading up for me meant using 2x5kg dumbells. Am really feeling it in my arms, but love the ache from a good workout. Next week I'm hoping to move on from one handed rows to dumbell rows.

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    nice! i love all the compound lifts!
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    You can do dumbbell bench instead of smith machine
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    So nice to hear another woman has taken the plunge into lifting. You won't regret it! Enjoy! :smiley:
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    It's a wonderful feeling!
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Really glad you're enjoying it! I would skip the smith machine though - it makes you lift in an unnatural pattern. You can use dumbbells safely at low weights or pull the bench into the squat rack and set up safety rails so that if you have to drop the bar it won't crush you underneath - I don't have a spotter so if I'm adding weight and worried I could miss a rep this is what I do.
    Barbell row is one of my favourite lifts but watch yourself in the mirror or video yourself to make sure you don't round your back - it's the exercise I see most people do badly in the gym!
  • hannahsadler_tn
    hannahsadler_tn Posts: 77 Member
    This is awesome! Lifting is my favorite thing. Aside from deadlifts, overhead press is my favorite compound lift. You'll see some awesome progress in your shoulders with that lift!! Proud of you for incorporating compound lifts! You'll never go back!
  • aettinger448
    aettinger448 Posts: 44 Member
    Me too! I'm starting to understand what people meant when they talked about the"exercise high." Plus my arms (and, not to be prideful, but my boobs!) look awesome! I started 2 weeks ago every other day and my bras are SO much more comfortable!
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    I love it too! Favorite is bench press. OHP is my least favorite.
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    I'm a back squataholic. Love the booty burn. Next bench- although my bench numbers are pretty weak. Oh, and deads. Love me some heavy deads (I'm up to a 3rm at bodyweight now!)

Not a huge fan of ohp, but holding the bar like that kinda feels Badass. It's worth doing.

Otoh, i Hate rows because I don't feel like I can progress with good form because I really just hate rows. (Got that?)

• pellenga
    pellenga Posts: 66 Member
    I'm interested in lifting but not sure how to start. What don't date with? How often? How much? It's a little overwhelming to me.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    pellenga wrote: »
    I'm interested in lifting but not sure how to start. What don't date with? How often? How much? It's a little overwhelming to me.

I started by reading up on the different lifts and watching loads of vids on youtube. Then as I'm a member of an awesome, old school gym, I got the owner to show me how to use the squat rack and work on my squats. I already did bodyweight and dumbell squats, so it was really just a case of getting used to the barbell. We started with an empty 10kg bar, added 5kg a session until I was on the 20kg bar and now I'm progressing at +2.5kg each session.

Once I was using the heavier bar for squats, we worked on my form for deadlift (wow I felt that first session in my thighs) again starting with just the 20kg bar, using the safety bars on the squat rack to hold the bar at the right height (which we'll carry on doing until I'm on the larger weights)

Yesterday we started on bench press, starting with a very slight incline on the bench and just the bar in the Smith machine (the gym owner knows I workout alone and I can add smaller weight progressions this way than using dumbells). I'll be adding a stupid small amount of weight to the bar in my next session as well as hopefully progressing to seated overhead press (from dumbell).

I've been using various machines for some months now as well as dumbells, steadily increasing weight until I felt I was ready to start the compound lifts. It wasn't really until I progressed to assisted pull ups (first time I tried it felt like my shoulders were dislocating) and dips that I personally felt I was ready, and to get to that point I increased the weight on my lat pull downs (only to 80lb but still considering I started at 20lb that is heavy for me).

From what I've read 3x a week is optimal, but I simply don't have those 3 days free. During term time I get Tuesday and thursday with an occasional extra day and during holidays it's as and when, but I do try and get 2x week in. This means I do full body with each session and there are weeks like this where I am working out 2 days running, but ideally I'd like to get a rest day between workouts.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    pellenga wrote: »

I started by reading up on the different lifts and watching loads of vids on youtube. Then as I'm a member of an awesome, old school gym, I got the owner to show me how to use the squat rack and work on my squats. I already did bodyweight and dumbell squats, so it was really just a case of getting used to the barbell. We started with an empty 10kg bar, added 5kg a session until I was on the 20kg bar and now I'm progressing at +2.5kg each session.

Once I was using the heavier bar for squats, we worked on my form for deadlift (wow I felt that first session in my thighs) again starting with just the 20kg bar, using the safety bars on the squat rack to hold the bar at the right height (which we'll carry on doing until I'm on the larger weights)

Yesterday we started on bench press, starting with a very slight incline on the bench and just the bar in the Smith machine (the gym owner knows I workout alone and I can add smaller weight progressions this way than using dumbells). I'll be adding a stupid small amount of weight to the bar in my next session as well as hopefully progressing to seated overhead press (from dumbell).

I've been using various machines for some months now as well as dumbells, steadily increasing weight until I felt I was ready to start the compound lifts. It wasn't really until I progressed to assisted pull ups (first time I tried it felt like my shoulders were dislocating) and dips that I personally felt I was ready, and to get to that point I increased the weight on my lat pull downs (only to 80lb but still considering I started at 20lb that is heavy for me).

From what I've read 3x a week is optimal, but I simply don't have those 3 days free. During term time I get Tuesday and thursday with an occasional extra day and during holidays it's as and when, but I do try and get 2x week in. This means I do full body with each session and there are weeks like this where I am working out 2 days running, but ideally I'd like to get a rest day between workouts.

Congrats on your new found love.

Also, you are correct, that a 3 day full body routine would be ideal, but if you only have two, it wouldn't stress it for now. At some point you might be able to get time and be able to transition. Also, if you would like, below is a list of a lot of programs if you want to go into a structured program. Many are 3 days, but can be taped to two.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • aettinger448
    aettinger448 Posts: 44 Member
    Lol. I found a YouTube video and started with that in our basement using my hubby's dumbbells and bench.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Deads are my all-time favorite. I freaking love deads!

@pellenga - Look into Stronglifts 5X5 at stronglifts.com. It will set up the whole program for you, you don't have to worry about what exercises you should be doing or what weight.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Don't be fooled by the smith machine, it isn't necessarily safer than a standard bar with no spotter since it relies on you catching hooks which are easy to miss. The smith machine will not allow you to do the roll of shame. If you drop it on yourself you are stuck. With a barbell you can roll it off.
  • deholm
    deholm Posts: 11 Member
    I started Jamie Eason 12 week challenge 5 weeks ago n really love it! Best thing I've ever done! I'm lifting between 10-27 lbs now. I HATE LEG day!!! Yesterday one of the exercises was to piggyback someone n do a calf raise...um no lol other than that I can do most of these at home gym. I'm on my 2nd phase n now we're adding cardio. 6 days of lifting, 4 days of cardio n not eating carbs after 3 pm. I'm 5'4, 53 yrs old, pre-menopausal, low thyroid n 226 lbs. My struggle is to lose weight!!!! I feel great tho!
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Don't be afraid to ask for a spotter if need be! Just make sure you let a spotter clearly know what you want. Ex: lift offs or no hands on the bar unless it looks like it will crush you! Also, if your gym has a power rack you can use that and adjust the safeties to an appropriate height to catch the bar. But to get used to weight, for sure start with dumbells!