August (2016) Running Challenge

Replies

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Yep! Me too! I walk, run, strength train....but aerobics or dance? Bahaha! My husband is good at basically all sports and can dance. We're totally mismatched :p
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Wow, the truth hurts (for me).

13532926_10153913976714811_7905170709666494524_n.jpg?oh=0efb477dcf8180dc9b760945ec36a3b8&oe=585A38A6

Is that meme saying running isn't a real sport?

Running is the ultimate, scariest sport I absolutely hated when I was growing up!

Totally amazed I fell in love with it aged 48.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    @instantmartian - Everyone must have a designated bacon buddy. They can track your progress live on Strava, and see when you have stopped or slowed down. This allows them better insight into when and where you need your bacon delivered to you during your run.

@ceciliaslater Bwahahahahaha, I absolutely love that! :heart:

Good going in your August work step challenge!

2 Aug – 10.1 km
    4 Aug – Body Balance then 13 km
    6 August – 8.1 km

Goal: 160 km / 100 miles
    Total: 31.2 km / 19.4 miles

I ran to parkrun today, helped set up, then took parkrun photographs on my run, stopping when the runners came past me. Managed to do the 5 km in 30:09 by doing a lot of sprints.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    08/01 - 4 miles
    08/03 - 4 miles

You guys - I ran completely PAIN FREE last night! I got some orthotics to try out a few days ago and I'm not sure if it's those, the stretches/workouts, or everything combined, but I was giddy. Trying to stay calm and avoid doing too much too soon, but I feel like I'm going the right direction which feels great.

I am a little worried about the HMs I have in September... Only 5 weeks away and I've only run one double-digit run in the past 7 weeks. Not sure there's enough time for me to progress back up to HM mileage. Any thoughts?

exercise.png

Keeping my goal mileage low for now, but will definitely raise it if my knees remain healthy.

@Somebody_Loved Great news! Have you thought about mixing in some fast walking with your running? I did that with my last half marathon....strategically fast walked through part of it and actually cut 13 minutes off my best half marathon run. Not sure why it works. I did that with some of my training and noted that I had some pretty good results and tried it at the last half that I ran. I did well until the last 2 miles and then slowed significantly or I think that I would have been able to cut another 5 minutes. Just a thought! Congratulations!
  • ereck44
    8/1 - 6 miles
    8/2 - 6 miles
    8/3 - rest day
    8/4 - 6 miles

18 out of 110 miles

exercise.png

@juliet3455 ha ha she did have her running stuff in the car. Even through "official" XC practice doesn't start until Monday she stayed at school to do speed work on the track by herself. Coach called me "hey is that my Skippy I see out on the track", yep it probably is, his reply "I love that girl". I think this time being with my mom was different than her usual visits, my mom isn't in good health and in the past months has declined fast. Skip spent a lot of time helping her and not as much time playing as she has in the past.
    @respectthekitty good luck to your son in middle school. I used to tell Skip, if you can survive middle school you can survive anything!
    @kristinegift 59F did you wear a jacket???? I was thrilled to see 70 this morning.
    @chelzfit 11 min mile is not slow :smile: I think if everyone here wrote their average pace for their runs you would see a lot more 10+ min mile paces then you would see folks who run 9 and under min miles. This time of year (summer here) I'm easily a 11 - 11:20 pace for 5 - 9 miles. A mile is mile is a mile whether it takes you 5 minutes or 15 minutes to get there.
    @tattooeddolphingirl78 I get startled that your picture keeps changing, love it!
    @shoshew71 I had a lady come up to me and Skip's Coach at the middle school the other day and tell us that running ruined her knees and that she wanted to know what he does to take care of the kids knees. She went on and on. Now Skip's Coach is the sweetest guy, he is very patient, doesn't get upset very even. When she walked away he said "are you kidding me?". I hate when people tell me running is going to ruin me.

I have to comment on the lady who commented that running ruined her knees. I worked on an orthopedic unit off and on for the last 8 years, and most people who needed knee replacements or hip replacements were grossly overweight or morbidly obese and the wear and tear of the extra weight on the joints wears down those joints. Other reasons are osteopenia, osteoarthritis, and other bone diseases. Maybe saw one person having a replacement due to sports or athletic exercises. My experience is in the hospital, not a sports facility----I know that a lot of professional athletes have to get scoped for ACL, MCL repairs.
  • ereck44
    MobyCarp wrote: »

13532926_10153913976714811_7905170709666494524_n.jpg?oh=0efb477dcf8180dc9b760945ec36a3b8&oe=585A38A6

That could be me, except I didn't start running till I was 55. I never did well at any sports in school, and it took a long time to realize I was a good distance runner for my age.

I still won't attempt anything involving a ball or stick or racket and hand-eye coordination.

I am so in awe of you, your determination, your knowledge....also kind of a re-start for me at 55 y.o.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,382 Member
    ereck44 wrote: »

That could be me, except I didn't start running till I was 55. I never did well at any sports in school, and it took a long time to realize I was a good distance runner for my age.

I still won't attempt anything involving a ball or stick or racket and hand-eye coordination.

I am so in awe of you, your determination, your knowledge....also kind of a re-start for me at 55 y.o.

I am not as fast as @MobyCarp - he is downright amazing. But I also did not start running until I was 55. I just wish I had discovered just what I could do and how much I enjoy it 15-20 years before! I also love that my motivation has encouraged others, much younger others, in my family to start running. My daughter as well as several nieces and nephews! It is also great fun to 'go run with them!'
    I also can't throw a ball - even at the dog beach my husband ducks and watches to make sure there is no one in range if I am going to through the pup's toy... You never know with me quite where it will go and which direction!
  • chandanders
    chandanders Posts: 51 Member
    Got in two 5km runs so far. BUT I noticed yesterday that it was hard to walk - my right knee seems to be in some pain. Any ideas/suggestions? I am using a tensor right now and resting it until tomorrow.
  • Beeky85
    Beeky85 Posts: 257 Member
    Another 3 miles... 6 total so far.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    mom3over40 wrote: »

I run because I failed at all other sports :sweat_smile:

This month so far:

8/1 Rest
    8/2 ....5
    8/3 ....3.1
    8/4 ..13.7 Longest run before race day
    8/5 ....2.2 Recovery Run

16 days till AFC Half Marathon.

exercise.png

Haha! I can't do anything involving a ball. I can't even do mini golf. And my average bowling score is 99. Oh, and when people try to toss me something......yeah, I ain't catching it. I tried tennis. I got lots of running in....running to get my ball from the next court over :s

My average bowling score is 170-180. :smile: Then again, I am a serious bowler who has been doing it for over 20 years.
  • DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    8/1.....rest day
    8/2.....3.25 miles run/ walk on treadmill
    8/3.....weights
    8/4.....2.4 miles run/ walk in the park (achy, asthmatic slog in the heat & humidity - bleah)
    8/5.....swim <--unplanned rest day: not feeling well
    8/6.....rest day <--still feeling ill :persevere:

Goal: 40 miles
    5.64 miles done, 34.35 to go

Upcoming Races:
    Stride Against Violence 5K - 10/16/16
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Totally relating to you all! I was such a non-sports person all my life. I took up tennis for a while several years ago and was improving but definitely not great. Started this running thing last year at age 47. Who knew? I'm no competitor for placing in any races, but just being able to do it and enjoy it is huge.

8/6 - 7.79 miles - longest distance yet (by a hair)

It was only 72 degrees, but dear god the humidity - 91%. We started out with a long uphill and man, was that painful. My running buddy and I were regretting our choice and then our coach met up with us and ran with us for a while, which also kicked up our pace. It was nice to get some personal coaching as he talked to us about our upcoming HM in October. When we headed back downhill it was a big relief. By the time we finished I was soaking wet and my feet and knees were begging for mercy. Thank goodness my HM is going to be FLAT. Those hills were brutal today.

Good progress on miles this week. Now at 23 so will just need an easy run tomorrow to finish up the goal of 25 for this week.

exercise.png
  • ereck44
    shanaber wrote: »
    ereck44 wrote: »

I am not as fast as @MobyCarp - he is downright amazing. But I also did not start running until I was 55. I just wish I had discovered just what I could do and how much I enjoy it 15-20 years before! I also love that my motivation has encouraged others, much younger others, in my family to start running. My daughter as well as several nieces and nephews! It is also great fun to 'go run with them!'
    I also can't throw a ball - even at the dog beach my husband ducks and watches to make sure there is no one in range if I am going to through the pup's toy... You never know with me quite where it will go and which direction!

@shanaber Thanks for posting this. I feel like I am a bit late to the party (of being a runner) but feel very welcome at this site. I share your sentiments. I started as a runner as a child. We had an acre and a half of ground behind our house as a kid and my sister and I arranged races with the neighbor kids and had little prizes etc. As school work became harder I still ran for my own enjoyment but not as much. The first 2-3 years of college, tried to run as much as I could (called it jogging back then....LOL) and then was hit by a car in a blind alley....thought to myself, "I need to cut this *kitten* out. " I still did a lot of walking.. though. I obtained my first serious job at a small rural "driving community" and was teased a lot by my co-workers if they saw me walk to the downtown. I recently learned that some of my former co-workers have since passed away at the early ages of 60-65....4 that I know about, including the one who really teased me. I re-started in an attempt to rediscover who I am by looking back at the things that I enjoyed as a child, including running. By the way, terrible at sports with hand/eye coordination and was almost always the last one picked on school teams. I love your sense of humor ----I can just picture you on the beach, and your husband trying to keep people out of the way....too funny!