Alcohol Calories?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    kermax39 wrote: »
    I can determine it because im 40lbs lighter, I.didnt say it will work for everyone, I just answered the OPs question. Works for me and I always eat all the calories mpf sets for me with wine easily 500 calories on.top of that for 2 small glasses.

So you eat 1700 calories and not 1,200. Congratulations you've learned MFP sets calories low.
    Your gonna hate me lol but I never said I eat 1200, I eat 1400-1500. I lose 6lbs a month eating what mfp sets me as well as wine. I really dont know why people have such a problem with that, iv said it works FOR ME!
    Im not deluded, im well aware as I get closer to goal I will need to revaluate but until then ill keep doing what im doing.
    I would be willing to bet...based on my 20odd years of doing this, that if I ate those extra calories in fatty foods then I wouldnt lose 6lbs a month. If I was to give up wine or include it into my calories then I would fail, this works for me for now.

People on here are so techy and quite rude with their "OPINIONS" arnt they!
    I completely agree with u I dont belive that alcohol calories are the same as food calories.
    I think it might have something to do with alcohol making you wee more, alot of it probably gets weed out instead of being digested like food (excuse the bluntness haha) afterall isnt that what your kidneys are supposed to do- get rid of toxins as quickly as possible?
    Just a theory?

The "wee" is water leaving your body. It doesn't magically eliminate calories. Your body can still process those.

Water that goes in clear and comes out yellow? Wee is definitely not just water!

I never said that it was "just" water. What I am challenging is your claim that you're eliminating "alot" of alcohol calories -- without using them -- when you urinate. Many people urinate more when they drink because alcohol is a diuretic. To conclude, as you have, that this means our body doesn't process the calories in alcohol, would be a mistake.

I am sorry genius but how do you know it is a "mistake"? Have u tested pee in a lab and concluded the results physically for yourself?
    Until you can come at me with actual facts then your claims only have as much worth as mine do!

You're the one claiming that the calories in alcohol don't count because they are eliminated by our body without being processed. The person making the extraordinary claim is the one responsible for providing some type of documentation.

If you share what you're basing your claim on, I'll be happy to consider it. I'm not saying I'm automatically right. But I don't agree that all claims are of equal worth. Did YOU test urine in a lab before deciding that our bodies can't process the calories in alcohol? If not, why would you expect someone else to do so? This seems like a huge double standard.

It was just what I said initially- "a theory" I didn't once claim that was fact. Purely an opinion, which believe it or not everyone is entitled too!
    And my OP stems from personal experience, which doesnt lie!
    I didn't come here to argue with jumped up know it alls...

I have no idea why someone would argue for a theory that they didn't claim was factual. And if it isn't factual, then why say your personal experience doesn't "lie."

Personal experience can absolutely lie. We can be mistaken in our perceptions, there can be facts we aren't aware of influencing the outcome. We can misinterpret what happens. There are lots of ways in which using our personal experience to determine, factually, what is happening with our bodies (or the world) can mislead us.

If my "personal experience" is that my body does process the calories I consume and your "personal experience" is that your body doesn't process the calories you consume, we can't both say "Well, personal experience doesn't lie." There are things that are true, things that aren't true.

Why the insults though? Do you think it is possible to disagree with someone without insults?

You keep trying to contradict/ trip me up?
    Every body is different, did you know that?

In this case it appears that what is different is livers - livers damaged by excessive alcohol consumption over time dispose of alcohol without processing the calories.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/02/04/health/why-the-body-may-waste-the-calories-from-alcohol.html

...the body has no way to store alcohol and that very little of it can pass through and be excreted. Thus, nearly all the alcohol a person consumes must be metabolized, a job relegated to the liver. This organ has two main ways to process alcohol, one that generates chemical energy and one that does not.

In moderate drinkers (up to one drink a day for women, two for men), the primary route results in the synthesis of an energy-conserving compound known as ATP, adenosine triphosphate. ATP can then generate useful energy to fuel any number of cellular processes.

But in heavy drinkers, Dr. Lieber and his colleagues showed, the liver disposes of alcohol in a second, energy-wasting way. This mechanism, called the microsomal ethanol oxidizing system, in effect converts alcohol into heat. If the heat is not needed to maintain the person's body temperature, it is wasted.

Hence, few if any of the alcohol calories count when alcohol is processed by the microsomal system.

The hitch is that the microsomes that do the work in this system can do more than process alcohol. These subcellular particles normally convert toxic compounds like drugs and insecticides into less harmful substances that the body can excrete. "But," Dr. Lieber said, "the mechanism can backfire and the microsomes can also oxidize substances into toxic compounds that can cause liver damage."
  • tamaraworrall
    tamaraworrall Posts: 166 Member
    I barely drink alcohol these days .but I notice that when I do my body is ok with vodka and diet coke and it doesn't make a change in the scales more so than a wine spritzer with diet lemonade.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    I can determine it because im 40lbs lighter, I.didnt say it will work for everyone, I just answered the OPs question. Works for me and I always eat all the calories mpf sets for me with wine easily 500 calories on.top of that for 2 small glasses.

So you eat 1700 calories and not 1,200. Congratulations you've learned MFP sets calories low.
    Your gonna hate me lol but I never said I eat 1200, I eat 1400-1500. I lose 6lbs a month eating what mfp sets me as well as wine. I really dont know why people have such a problem with that, iv said it works FOR ME!
    Im not deluded, im well aware as I get closer to goal I will need to revaluate but until then ill keep doing what im doing.
    I would be willing to bet...based on my 20odd years of doing this, that if I ate those extra calories in fatty foods then I wouldnt lose 6lbs a month. If I was to give up wine or include it into my calories then I would fail, this works for me for now.

People on here are so techy and quite rude with their "OPINS" arnt they!
    I completely agree with u I dont belive that alcohol calories are the same as food calories.
    I think it might have something to do with alcohol making you wee more, alot of it probably gets weed out instead of being digested like food (excuse the bluntness haha) afterall isnt that what your kidneys are supposed to do- get rid of toxins as quickly as possible?
    Just a theory?

A calorie is a calorie no matter where it comes from. Your body does not distinguish calorie type. You can't wee your calories out, just as you can't poo them out. ;)

• xjessicaxrx
    xjessicaxrx Posts: 144 Member
    Mentali wrote: »

Just a theory?

The "wee" is water leaving your body. It doesn't magically eliminate calories. Your body can still process those.

Water that goes in clear and comes out yellow? Wee is definitely not just water!

I never said that it was "just" water. What I am challenging is your claim that you're eliminating "alot" of alcohol calories -- without using them -- when you urinate. Many people urinate more when they drink because alcohol is a diuretic. To conclude, as you have, that this means our body doesn't process the calories in alcohol, would be a mistake.

I am sorry genius but how do you know it is a "mistake"? Have u tested pee in a lab and concluded the results physically for yourself?
    Until you can come at me with actual facts then your claims only have as much worth as mine do!

You're the one claiming that the calories in alcohol don't count because they are eliminated by our body without being processed. The person making the extraordinary claim is the one responsible for providing some type of documentation.

If you share what you're basing your claim on, I'll be happy to consider it. I'm not saying I'm automatically right. But I don't agree that all claims are of equal worth. Did YOU test urine in a lab before deciding that our bodies can't process the calories in alcohol? If not, why would you expect someone else to do so? This seems like a huge double standard.

It was just what I said initially- "a theory" I didn't once claim that was fact. Purely an opinion, which believe it or not everyone is entitled too!

I have no idea why someone would argue for a theory that they didn't claim was factual. And if it isn't factual, then why say your personal experience doesn't "lie."

Personal experience can absolutely lie. We can be mistaken in our perceptions, there can be facts we aren't aware of influencing the outcome. We can misinterpret what happens. There are lots of ways in which using our personal experience to determine, factually, what is happening with our bodies (or the world) can mislead us.

If my "personal experience" is that my body does process the calories I consume and your "personal experience" is that your body doesn't process the calories you consume, we can't both say "Well, personal experience doesn't lie." There are things that are true, things that aren't true.

Why the insults though? Do you think it is possible to disagree with someone without insults?

Disappointed I could only choose one insightful/like/awesome for this post...you are a saint for putting up so calmly with those random insults for daring to be logical.

Could you highlight the logical part please? It just seemed like a long, condescending string of riddles to me.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »

People on here are so techy and quite rude with their "OPINS" arnt they!
    Just a theory?

A calorie is a calorie no matter where it comes from. Your body does not distinguish calorie type. You can't wee your calories out, just as you can't poo them out. ;)

Agreed.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    So I know that people say that you need to log alcohol calories the same as you would food and account for it in your daily allowance, I maybe pushing my luck here but I dont think it works the same as food.
    My start weight was 192lb im now at 148lb, I am 5ft 4 and I eat around 1300-1500 calories a day. I have drank alcohol most weekends without counting (sometimes stupid amounts- dont judge) and still lost weight just fine. This is providing that I dont eat loads of crap the day after when hungover.
    I am just looking to see if this is the case for anyone else, or am I just odd?

The calories count just as much. I pretty much stopped drinking when I got serious about weight loss. I'd rather eat my calories than drink them, and I don't have enough calories to spare for both! :)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    This little piggy had whiskey, this little piggy had gin, this little piggy went wee, wee, wee, all the way thin.

Hehe... *hiccups*
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Just a theory?

You keep trying to contradict/ trip me up?
    Every body is different, did you know that?

To the bolded... that's not really the case. The basic laws of thermodynamics which govern the energy balance, Calories In and Calories Out are the same for everyone. All calories count, whether they come from wine, cake, chicken, or broccoli. If you drank this weekend and didn't gain weight (yet) it doesn't mean that you won't see the impact on the scale in the next day or so. Additionally, it is your calorie total over time, so even though you may have over done it on an individual day, if you were still in a deficit for the week, you would not see an increase on the scale.
    This. So much to all of this.
    I will never understand why some think the basic law of thermodynamics does not apply to them.

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited August 2016
    There's always 800 calories of cake flavored vodka! o:)
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Woodspoon wrote: »
    so 2 bottles of wine were consumed and no weight went on?
    Nah, don't think so
    even if it were just water, weight would go on, because the liquid itself weighs something.

IME that water gets peed out again, pretty shsrpish
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Bottle of wine about 500 kcal, btw. Long term weight loss stalled by all of 2-3oz.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    I haven't counted my alcohol calories the last few weeks at all, and I drink 1-2x/week, at least a few drinks at a time. I'm still losing steadily at 2+ pounds a week, and I'm eating all of, or more than, my food calories every day. (I had buttered popcorn last night that I didn't log, and late night pizza the day before.) I also eat back exercise calories, IF I exercise.
    I don't really care if it makes sense, or why, I'll take it! :)