100 pound weight loss and loose skin

nowolga
nowolga Posts: 91 Member
Has anyone had success losing 100 pounds and avoided loose skin? How long did it take you to lose the weight? Did you do anything to prevent loose skin?

I am 5'8, started at 250 pounds and have 100 pounds to lose. I know end the end being healthy is the ultimate goal but if there are things that have work for others, I would like to give it a shot. Please help and provide some insight! Thank you all :)<3

Replies

• ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    I haven't ever lost that much, but a couple of close friends of mine told me that weight training during the process helps with loose skin. I don't know if that's true, but it makes logical sense. Good luck!
  • nowolga
    I haven't ever lost that much, but a couple of close friends of mine told me that weight training during the process helps with loose skin. I don't know if that's true, but it makes logical sense. Good luck!

I have heard of this and plan on doing strength training along with my calorie deficit and cardio.

Is 100 pounds significant enough loss to cause loose skin?
  • ThePoeToaster
    edited August 2016
    I wouldn't think significantly. 100 lbs is a lot, but most of the people with severe loose ski issues have lost over 250 lbs. Plus, at 25, you're very young. Nice age for having resilient skin.
  • nowolga
    edited August 2016
    I am 5'8 and have been losing from 1-2 pounds per week. My goal is to lose all 100 pounds in 1.5 - 2 years from my starting date. As much as I would like to lose it all in a year, time is a factor to avoid loose skin. I am 25 years of age.
  • ThePoeToaster
    I Think at the end of it, not only will you NOT have loose skin issues, but you're gonna be HAWT!
  • nowolga
    Haha. I hope so. Stretch marks are already not my friend so fingers crossed! I would still like to hear a success story if anyone out there has one!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    I've lost ~41 lbs with about 80 to go and I have horrible loose skin. I think most of it is from pregnancy though. It's way worse this time (with the same size loss) as it was when I was losing before (pregnancy is why I stopped last time).

It bugs me a little but I'd rather be healthy with a bit of loose skin than diabetic and fat, which is where I will end up otherwise.
  • RedsGirl73
    RedsGirl73 Posts: 114 Member
    There are several factors that will determine how much loose skin you will have. Age, genetics, how fast you lose the weight, and weight training. I have a severe fear of loose skin because I'm older and am taking care of my mother so my gym is not an option right now. I have lost a little over 40 lbs total so far and have about 50 more to go. I am focusing on being healthy right now and trying to worry about the skin issue when I have to. Good luck on your journey
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    I have just hit 100.2 pounds lost. I am now 10 pounds away from my former weight. Yea!

It has taken me a little over two years. It came off quickly, at first, and then slowed, which is good.

Do I have any lose skin? Yes, a little bit. I have some on my upper arms and a little on my stomach. It is not a big deal. I do use coconut oil to help moisturize, which has helped too.
  • Hoohoohaa
    Hoohoohaa Posts: 48 Member
    I've lost about 30, lots of it from my gut, and the skin is already starting to sag. Where I had a tire hanging out and over my pants, now it is drooping over. I lift a lot, so my chest is doing better, but yeah, I'm already seeing it...
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,281 Member
    dry brush, use cereva cream, massage..and don't lose too fast. obviously if you lose super fast..the skin won't keep up..
  • ole496
    ole496 Posts: 32 Member
    I'm happy to see you are so open and realistic about issues involving losing that much weight. Excess skin scares a lot of people and almost makes them afraid to lose the weight. If you continue to lose weight as a slow/steady rate, stay hydrated, use good creams twice daily on the stretch marks and are lucky, you won't have much. I think genetics and the areas where you wear the most weight play into that as well. As a man, I tend to get it all in the middle so if I had to lose 100lbs then I could definitely expect to have skin problems in the stomach area. But, if your body is good at spreading it out then it might make a big difference in the end.
  • jbatinker
    jbatinker Posts: 313 Member
    What are the good creams to use on your skin as you are losing the weight?

I have to say that was my biggest fear about losing weight because of all the television shows about it. However I think those are the extreme. I am almost 50, have had two kids, and know I will not snap back like someone in their 20's who have not been pregnant. My husband is great because he keeps telling me that we (together :) ) will deal with the lose skin as it comes.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    The body will resorb the loose skin and tighten up - just takes time. IMHO, you're on the right track. Keep going - you'd be amazed at what you can do
  • jessiemcc
    jessiemcc Posts: 3 Member
    I previously last 95lbs - with healthy eating, cardio and strength training (I'm now trying to lose it again - ugh). I was in my early 30s when I first lost this weight and only had a little loose skin - noticeable only when I bent over - my stomach skin would hang loose. This is my second time trying to lose this weight and I've had two kids, now in my 40s and starting at a higher weight so I know I'm going to have some loose skin in my stomach. Hopefully I wont have it elsewhere.
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Let's face it.... as you age the skin doesn't snap back like it used to! I'm 55, have had one child (a long time ago, lol) and have lost 77lbs over the past 2+ years with another 8-9 to go. Slow and steady. Had been overweight 30+ years. Exercise, creams and diet will not turn the clock back. Sometimes it's all about genetics. However I did read a while ago that it can actually take a lot of years for skin to mould itself to your new shape.. so that's what I keep telling myself :-P
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!