Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Critics urge FDA to take stomach-pumping device off the market.

Options
2»

Replies

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I don't see value in it.

It's helping people. How do you not see value in that?

I believe the debate is in whether or not it is helping people.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Just another way to practice bulimia. Purging is still purging. Just that this way doesn't erode the enamel on your teeth.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    @fishgutzy

Copied and pasted from above----why do you judge if it has been stated that it is a safe device..why judge others who need additonal assistance?

1. It has been out for over 4 years and seems safe. How can it be unsafe besides an infection?
    2. None of the trial people have developed an eating disorder or bulimia.
    3. Three times less cost than the average weight loss surgery (important if your insurance will not cover it).
    4. The lady on the video got rid of hypertension and type 2 diabetes. She called it life saving.
    I say keep. It could really help many people.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    @LINIA It is still purging. Eat and purge via a tube is still purging. As a recovering bulimic that spent a couple decades on the scarf and barf diet plan, I can call it what it is. Just because it is 'medically approved' doesn't mean it works long term. One still has to choose to make a life style change. A purging tube doesn't help with behavior changes.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    @LINIA It is still purging. Eat and purge via a tube is still purging. As a recovering bulimic that spent a couple decades on the scarf and barf diet plan, I can call it what it is. Just because it is 'medically approved' doesn't mean it works long term. One still has to choose to make a life style change. A purging tube doesn't help with behavior changes.

Your beliefs do not trump proof, which the medical community and studies have.
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    It's amusing to me...and exasperating...to see people who enjoy making decisions for other people.
    Sure, you and your physician have decided on a plan of action, but let me elbow in with my two cents. Even though I don't know you or your situation or your history. Your compliance with my opinions must be mandatory.