Found out why my weight loss had stalled/ stopped.

Replies

• MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    You could bring your own Diet Coke.

You can get kicked out of a pub for stuff like that. You're not supposed to bring in your own stuff.

Wow, really?

Yeah. I don't particularly disagree with the rule to be honest. They're a business and there to make money. If everyone started bringing their own stuff they'd lose a lot of money.

Not if that can't be truthful with you. They've lost you as a customer, makes sense.

True in that their not being truthful would usually put me off as a customer. But it's the local and where my group of friends prefer to go. So I'll still go there, but I'll be changing what I drink from now on to something like wine...might try some more spirits to see if I can do neat spirits but I've not found ones I like like that to be honest.

Your 'local' is very important culturally, even if they're rubbish it's really tribal.

We only changed our local after the 3rd drugs bust. (We are in the East End to be fair)
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Unless your at the pub every night I cant see how the difference between a coke and a diet coke measure would stop u losing weight unless your daily vodkas and coke take u upto maintenance level every day of the week. For 3 months I miscalculated my milk everyday by 100 cals because of a stupid database entry that was way out, it never made a difference but I was annoyed just the same as u are. I can tell straight away if im given coke instead of diet coke, the sweetness makes me wretch, same if someone puts a sugar in my tea.
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    MaybeLed wrote: »
    You could bring your own Diet Coke.

You can get kicked out of a pub for stuff like that. You're not supposed to bring in your own stuff.

Wow, really?

Yeah. I don't particularly disagree with the rule to be honest. They're a business and there to make money. If everyone started bringing their own stuff they'd lose a lot of money.

Not if that can't be truthful with you. They've lost you as a customer, makes sense.

True in that their not being truthful would usually put me off as a customer. But it's the local and where my group of friends prefer to go. So I'll still go there, but I'll be changing what I drink from now on to something like wine...might try some more spirits to see if I can do neat spirits but I've not found ones I like like that to be honest.

Your 'local' is very important culturally, even if they're rubbish it's really tribal.

We only changed our local after the 3rd drugs bust. (We are in the East End to be fair)

Haha very true.
  • SophieSmall95
    edited August 2016
    kermax39 wrote: »
    Unless your at the pub every night I cant see how the difference between a coke and a diet coke measure would stop u losing weight unless your daily vodkas and coke take u upto maintenance level every day of the week. For 3 months I miscalculated my milk everyday by 100 cals because of a stupid database entry that was way out, it never made a difference but I was annoyed just the same as u are. I can tell straight away if im given coke instead of diet coke, the sweetness makes me wretch, same if someone puts a sugar in my tea.

Because 4 whiskey and diet cokes is 280 calories. whereas 4 whiskeys and normal coke is 880. That is a big difference. Especially when going the pub twice a week.

Say for example I'd eat 1000 in calories that day from food (and yes this is cleared with my doctor, I'm very short so it is fine for me) and had allowed myself 4 drinks at 70 calories each (so 280) to bring my daily to 1280 when I have a TDEE of 1600 per day (so eating at 1280 per day should leave me losing approximately 1lb per 10.9 days.

But if instead I am getting 4 drinks at 220 calories (880) not only does that take my total daily calories (1000 from food + 880 from drinks) above my TDEE and thus into weight gain territory but seriously stalls weight loss when I'm not in that big of a deficit in the first place.

I can't taste difference between diet and non diet cola drinks.
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member

Because 4 whiskey and diet cokes is 280 calories. whereas 4 whiskeys and normal coke is 880. That is a big difference. Especially when going the pub twice a week.

Say for example I'd eat 1000 in calories that day from food (and yes this is cleared with my doctor, I'm very short so it is fine for me) and had allowed myself 4 drinks at 70 calories each (so 280) to bring my daily to 1280 when I have a TDEE of 1600 per day (so eating at 1280 per day should leave me losing approximately 1lb per 10.9 days.

But if instead I am getting 4 drinks at 220 calories (880) not only does that take my total daily calories (1000 from food + 880 from drinks) above my TDEE and thus into weight gain territory but seriously stalls weight loss when I'm not in that big of a deficit in the first place.

Ahh ok, I can see how that would make a difference now u put it like that.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I don't know how you couldnt tell! I'm assuming the alcohol helped, but still. Coke has an almost coppery/bloody aftertaste to me. :lol:

I do get pissed though when places say nothing and just give you your incorrect drink with a smile.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Clawsal wrote: »
    In the UK, "lemonade" is the same thing as Sprite or 7 Up.

Then what is lemonade in the US? I work at a restaurant with lots of tourists (in Switzerland) and always give American tourists Sprite when they ask for lemonade. No one complained yet...

Lemonade here (US) is literally lemon juice, water, and sugar for the most part. So no, definitely not Sprite.
  • pdm3547
    pdm3547 Posts: 1,057 Member
    What about diet tonic? Gin and diet tonic is my fave low cal tipple now. Most pubs will have those little bottles of the tonic water so you can see what you are getting. Goes well with vodka too.

I don't like gin or tonic and they don't carry diet tonic in the pubs. I've found most pubs carry very few or no diet mixers.

Really? Gin and slimline tonic is a staple round here (Essex, UK).
  • SophieSmall95
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I don't know how you couldnt tell! I'm assuming the alcohol helped, but still. Coke has an almost coppery/bloody aftertaste to me. :lol:

I do get pissed though when places say nothing and just give you your incorrect drink with a smile.

I can't taste the difference between cola drinks, diet or not. All tastes the same to me.

Yeah, it is annoying.
  • SophieSmall95
    pdm3547 wrote: »
    What about diet tonic? Gin and diet tonic is my fave low cal tipple now. Most pubs will have those little bottles of the tonic water so you can see what you are getting. Goes well with vodka too.

I don't like gin or tonic and they don't carry diet tonic in the pubs. I've found most pubs carry very few or no diet mixers.

Really? Gin and slimline tonic is a staple round here (Essex, UK).

Maybe it's a northern thing to not have diet mixers in pubs :D
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Wow, that's 150 (220-70) cals per drink. It would take 23 drinks per week to make a difference of 3500 cals or one pound weight loss!

Well...no not really. Since I'm obviously not only consuming calories from alcohol. So it doesn't work out quite like that

Say for example I'd eat 1000 in calories that day from food and had allowed myself 4 drinks at 70 calories each (so 280) to bring my daily to 1280 when I have a TDEE of 1600 per day (so eating at 1280 per day should leave me losing approximately 1lb per 10.9 days.

But if instead I am getting 4 drinks at 220 calories (880) not only does that take my total daily calories (1000 from food + 880 from drinks) above my TDEE and thus into weight gain territory but completely stalls weight loss.

I love my drinks as much as the next person but only 1000 cals from food and even your planned 280 from booze seems a little unbalanced. First, are you sure your TDEE is only 1600? Do you exercise at all? How much weight are you trying to lose total? How often are you hitting the pub?

I would talk to the owners about possibly bringing in diet soda, I'm sure there are plenty of others who would order that if it were on the menu, or people who are being duped today. If you're a regular, they may consider keeping even a 6 pack of Diet Coke behind the bar just for you.

Yes my TDEE s that low, I'm only 4'9 and rarely exercise except occasional hikes. It's all been discussed with my doctor 1000 is fine for me so long as I watch I'm eating enough macros and micros. Got another 10lbs to lose. About once or twice a week I'll go to the pub.

Will do. But pubs aren't known for their great customer service here :')

Glad your doctor is on board. What about the days you don't go to the pub? Do you still eat 1000 cals? With only 10 lbs to lose, half pound per week may be a more appropriate goal for you, which would be 1350, not a lot extra but enough to get some extra food and nutrition in.

Can't hurt to ask... Or if the pub doesn't change habits then yeah maybe switch to wine.
  • WinoGelato

Wait but I thought you said you only go to the pub once or twice a week? I know the extra hidden cals are frustrating, but an extra 600 cals, or 1200 if you go twice a week, doesn't completely negate your weekly deficit... How many cals do you eat on days you don't go to the pub?

• SophieSmall95
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Wow, that's 150 (220-70) cals per drink. It would take 23 drinks per week to make a difference of 3500 cals or one pound weight loss!

Well...no not really. Since I'm obviously not only consuming calories from alcohol. So it doesn't work out quite like that

Say for example I'd eat 1000 in calories that day from food and had allowed myself 4 drinks at 70 calories each (so 280) to bring my daily to 1280 when I have a TDEE of 1600 per day (so eating at 1280 per day should leave me losing approximately 1lb per 10.9 days.

But if instead I am getting 4 drinks at 220 calories (880) not only does that take my total daily calories (1000 from food + 880 from drinks) above my TDEE and thus into weight gain territory but completely stalls weight loss.

I love my drinks as much as the next person but only 1000 cals from food and even your planned 280 from booze seems a little unbalanced. First, are you sure your TDEE is only 1600? Do you exercise at all? How much weight are you trying to lose total? How often are you hitting the pub?

I would talk to the owners about possibly bringing in diet soda, I'm sure there are plenty of others who would order that if it were on the menu, or people who are being duped today. If you're a regular, they may consider keeping even a 6 pack of Diet Coke behind the bar just for you.

Yes my TDEE s that low, I'm only 4'9 and rarely exercise except occasional hikes. It's all been discussed with my doctor 1000 is fine for me so long as I watch I'm eating enough macros and micros. Got another 10lbs to lose. About once or twice a week I'll go to the pub.

Will do. But pubs aren't known for their great customer service here :')

Glad your doctor is on board. What about the days you don't go to the pub? Do you still eat 1000 cals? With only 10 lbs to lose, half pound per week may be a more appropriate goal for you, which would be 1350, not a lot extra but enough to get some extra food and nutrition in.

Can't hurt to ask... Or if the pub doesn't change habits then yeah maybe switch to wine.

I generally eat between 1000-1300 and more if it's a hike day. I don't find low calorie particularly hard to be honest, I like a lot of low calorie foods and I have fun making new recipes with few calories but lots of bite.
  • SophieSmall95
    edited August 2016

Wait but I thought you said you only go to the pub once or twice a week? I know the extra hidden cals are frustrating, but an extra 600 cals, or 1200 if you go twice a week, doesn't completely negate your weekly deficit... How many cals do you eat on days you don't go to the pub?

Between 1000-1300, more if I hike (rare) and a maintenance day once a week. It doesn't completely stop the weight loss. But it does considerably slow it down to the point I wasn't losing weight at the expected rate.
  • WinoGelato

Between 1000-1300, more if I hike (rare) and a maintenance day once a week. It doesn't completely stop the weight loss. But it does considerably slow it down to the point I wasn't losing weight at the expected rate.

Are you weighing your food with a food scale?
  • buckeye213
    buckeye213 Posts: 52 Member
    ...Every time I was ordering a drink at the pub they were giving me normal coke and not diet coke! So annoyed.

I specifically choose a spirit and diet coke as it makes it as 70 calorie drink rather than a 220 calorie drink. I asked the barmaid what diet mixers they have, they said coke, pepsi and diet coke.

Turns out this whole time they were just giving me normal because they don't have diet. So annoyed that they didn't even say "sorry is normal coke okay we don't have diet?" instead I trusted them to give me diet at my request and I've been going hundreds over my calories!

Furious.
    ...Every time I was ordering a drink at the pub they were giving me normal coke and not diet coke! So annoyed.

I specifically choose a spirit and diet coke as it makes it as 70 calorie drink rather than a 220 calorie drink. I asked the barmaid what diet mixers they have, they said coke, pepsi and diet coke.

Turns out this whole time they were just giving me normal because they don't have diet. So annoyed that they didn't even say "sorry is normal coke okay we don't have diet?" instead I trusted them to give me diet at my request and I've been going hundreds over my calories!

Furious.

• buckeye213
    buckeye213 Posts: 52 Member
    I would be pissed if I was diabetic. This would not be good either. Not good for any diabetic to be drinking but if they give leaded instead of unleaded in your drink that would be big trouble.
  • SophieSmall95

Yeah. I always weigh my food. Trust me I know how many calories I'm taking in. It's the pub that has been throwing my calories off.
  • SophieSmall95
    buckeye213 wrote: »
    I would be pissed if I was diabetic. This would not be good either. Not good for any diabetic to be drinking but if they give leaded instead of unleaded in your drink that would be big trouble.

True :/
  • WinoGelato

Yeah. I always weigh my food. Trust me I know how many calories I'm taking in. It's the pub that has been throwing my calories off.

I'm not trying to be argumentative I just don't understand. If this is the pub you've always been going to, and they've always been serving you the regular Coke instead of the diet, then it would have already been in your normal calories. You said you were losing and it stopped/stalled, but you were going there and drinking this same beverage when you were losing, right?

Also if it's only 1-2 times per week it shouldn't completely negate your weekly deficit. You should still be losing, but slowly.