UK People: Good toning exercisers?

Woodsmoke
Woodsmoke Posts: 360 Member
edited August 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I have weights and a Pilate's magic circle that I do basic stuff with, but what other items have worked for you? Not huge expensive machines, just toning aids like Thigh Toner or the equivalent for arms that work really well. I always do better with equipment than with just basic exercises or weights.

I am mostly trying to make sure I don't get saggy skin since I am so big. I would like to get rid of as much of it as I can as I lose weight!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Calorie deficit
  • Woodsmoke
    Huh? Calorie deficit goes without saying, I mean toning...
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    This (below), doesn't have any bells and whistles, but it is a good little routine that you can do at home.

You could also look at working with bands. I haven't used them so have no suggestions.

The best thing you can do is get yourself into a routine where you are doing something 6 days a week. Start at 15 min and work up to about an hour.

3days cardio. Leslie Sansone has some good walk at home ones if you don't want to walk out doors.
    And some resistance work, like I am posting, the other 3 days.

If you have a pool nearby you may really enjoy Aqua fit. It is a fun mix of cardio and resistance work.

Cheers, h.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY
  • Woodsmoke
    Bump
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Woodsmoke wrote: »
    Bump

You can't tone, just lose the fat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Stick to the basics. A lot of those "toners" (there is no such thing as toning exercises) are gimmicks. Many times just sticking to the basics works. Pushups, body weight squats, rows, and even yoga.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I get it

The next toy helps refresh your commitment to doing something active right? Cos you can convince yourself it will make the difference

The thing is you probably have the toys but what you don't have is the progressive programme where you are using them effectively to get fitter and stronger and so when you drop the fat, through calorie defecit which you understand is the vast majority of the battle, the muscles will show and give you that "toned" look

So the deal is progressive resistance

Look for good programmes to use with existing toys

Try fitnessblender.com and put in the equipment you have

3 times a week and increasing weights and/or intensity
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    To go back to basics....

Toning isn't really a thing, muscles can get stronger/weaker, bigger/smaller in response to training/activity/exercise or inactivity.

Fat can't be exercised, it's just an energy store you need to use up (calorie deficit over time). Once you get down to a lower bodyfat percentage your musculature will start to become apparent. But you won't have the body of Jessica Ennis-Hill under your existing "fat suit" unless you train like her.

Skin can't be exercised. If you have stretched your skin how much it recovers is down to genetics, age and how big you got. Exercise won't stop saggy skin if you are predisposed to it.

Exercise equipment just gets your body working. All those gimmicky gadgets people buy tend to end up in the back of cupboards or on Gumtree. Most of them work a certain, and small, set of muscles which is hugely inefficient way of training.

If you are "so big" just moving is significant exercise. As an example I watched a 100+kg person walk down the stairs at my gym to use a leg press machine where they did a few half-hearted reps at 20kg before walking back upstairs. Guess which activity actually worked their leg muscles significantly?

Find something (exercise/classes/activity) you will stick to for an extended period of time, enjoyment is a huge factor.

• crevtion
    crevtion Posts: 72 Member
    You need to lose fat first and then tone up ;)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    crevtion wrote: »
    You need to lose fat first and then tone up ;)

'Toning' is losing fat
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Losing weight and lifting weight at the same time, with some cardio too, gives one the better result as less muscle is lost.

@crevtion

Cheers, h.
  • crevtion
    crevtion Posts: 72 Member
    Well technically, but you won't give the appearance of a toned body until you lose a certain amount of fat.