Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is dairy good or bad?

Replies

• OneWayOnlyCycles
    OneWayOnlyCycles Posts: 67 Member
    Yummy! All of it!
  • nisilap
    nisilap Posts: 10 Member
    To that point, I do like cheese and yogurt, but I have gone to almond milk as a substitute for cows milk. Humans are the only mammals that never wean themselves...cows don't drink milk once weaned, they eat plants. Actually, most dairy cows are not pasture raised at this time. They live in stalls so small that they cannot turn and must be perpetually impregnated so that they can produce milk continually. Not a good life
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2016
    nisilap wrote: »
    To that point, I do like cheese and yogurt, but I have gone to almond milk as a substitute for cows milk. Humans are the only mammals that never wean themselves...cows don't drink milk once weaned, they eat plants. Actually, most dairy cows are not pasture raised at this time. They live in stalls so small that they cannot turn and must be perpetually impregnated so that they can produce milk continually. Not a good life

Nope. Bears do it all of the time from livestock they kill. As do badgers. Oh, and coyotes. Shall I go on? I mean, I'm just hitting the US here.

ETA: As I was typing this, I realized that I was sitting here, enjoying three ounces of fine Mascarpone cheese. Yeap, dairy's still fantastic.
  • Zealand4530
    Zealand4530 Posts: 180 Member
    I stop dairy day before game or hiit . Slows me down
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

So, other mammals make cheese and yogurt? I'm feeling a little confused by your stance on milk, but cheese and yogurt are okay.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

So, other mammals make cheese and yogurt? I'm feeling a little confused by your stance on milk, but cheese and yogurt are okay.

Mammals don't cook their food either. I have always found this argument to be weird. Other animals don't have the tools to extract milk, but many would drink it if it's offered. I remember when I was a child my grandparents had two exceptional dairy cows, so even after using a lot of it to make dairy products we still had extra. It went to the pigs and they happily drank it. I actually remember my grandfather fixing the fence between the chicken and the pig area because some chickens would for some reason be attracted to the milk (seen them drink it with my own eyes) and might get trampled by pigs.

Not drinking milk out of choice or necessity is fine. Don't feel like you need to justify your choices with silly arguments. What you choose to do/not do is none of other people's business.

Exactly. I don't care what people choose to eat or avoid. No excuses necessary, but if you're going to offer one at least have it follow some line of reasoning. Avoid milk for ethical reasons, avoid all dairy for ethical reasons. I don't understand the disconnect.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

I had the exact same thought. I think it's bad logic re milk, but especially weird if one eats cheese, etc. (or cooked food, so on).
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Cracks me up when people use the fact that humans are the only species that do something as an argument that it shouldn't be done.

We're also the only ones to wear clothes, brush our teeth, pursue education and wipe our butts after we poop.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member

What? You haven't seen a cow indulging in a little barn-made brie? Pssshhh....
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    I love dairy, except I can't have a whole portion of whey protein powder - it's hard to digest
  • nutmegoreo
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Cracks me up when people use the fact that humans are the only species that do something as an argument that it shouldn't be done.

We're also the only ones to wear clothes, brush our teeth, pursue education and wipe our butts after we poop.

Then how do you explain what my cat used to do to the carpet? O_O

Worms

What? You haven't seen a cow indulging in a little barn-made brie? Pssshhh....

I'm not saying they won't eat it. We all know how refined the cow palate it. I'm saying they don't churn the butter themselves, or add the bacteria to make the cheese.
  • nutmegoreo

Worms

Nah, as it turned out, she didn't have worms. She just went through this weird phase where she was a total *kitten* for about four months.

ETA: the language filter actually seems appropriate this time.

At least she got over it!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member

My theory is that cats actually do nothing for hygiene and only do things like that because they're evil (that's also why they constantly groom, so they can hack up hairballs on our furniture).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I had the exact same thought. I think it's bad logic re milk, but especially weird if one eats cheese, etc. (or cooked food, so on).

It is unnatural that humans don't wean themselves, so they should and stop drinking human milk. Making foods out of stuff is a natural human instinct so making and eating cheese and yogurt makes sense. What's so hard to logic about that? Are you suggesting human food is unnatural, or are you suggesting people should be drinking human milk all their life?

I'm asking why it's less "natural" for humans to take cow milk and make delicious foods out of it and consume those foods vs. drinking the milk itself (which many find delicious) or mixing it with other ingredients to make delicious foods (like ice cream).

If the test is "would a deer do this," well, a deer doesn't make cheese (despite many of them residing in Wisconsin).
  • lemurcat12

It is unnatural that humans don't wean themselves, so they should and stop drinking human milk. Making foods out of stuff is a natural human instinct so making and eating cheese and yogurt makes sense. What's so hard to logic about that? Are you suggesting human food is unnatural, or are you suggesting people should be drinking human milk all their life?

I'm asking why it's less "natural" for humans to take cow milk and make delicious foods out of it and consume those foods vs. drinking the milk itself (which many find delicious) or mixing it with other ingredients to make delicious foods (like ice cream).

If the test is "would a deer do this," well, a deer doesn't make cheese (despite many of them residing in Wisconsin).

Of course deer don't make cheese. It is unnatural for them to make cheese. Making food is just natural for humans, maybe a few other primates. So it is fine to eat cheese. But we don't naturally drink milk our whole lives.

Based on what? People have, just as they've made cheese. We've figured out how to, by domesticating cattle.

If I am not lactose intolerant, it's natural for me to drink milk.