Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is dairy good or bad?

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    nisilap wrote: »
    To that point, I do like cheese and yogurt, but I have gone to almond milk as a substitute for cows milk. Humans are the only mammals that never wean themselves...cows don't drink milk once weaned, they eat plants. Actually, most dairy cows are not pasture raised at this time. They live in stalls so small that they cannot turn and must be perpetually impregnated so that they can produce milk continually. Not a good life

So, other mammals make cheese and yogurt? I'm feeling a little confused by your stance on milk, but cheese and yogurt are okay.

I had the exact same thought. I think it's bad logic re milk, but especially weird if one eats cheese, etc. (or cooked food, so on).

It is unnatural that humans don't wean themselves, so they should and stop drinking human milk. Making foods out of stuff is a natural human instinct so making and eating cheese and yogurt makes sense. What's so hard to logic about that? Are you suggesting human food is unnatural, or are you suggesting people should be drinking human milk all their life?

But humans do wean themselves from human milk in the vast majority of cases. Milking a cow is a process of procuring food using the tools they have access to, same as harvesting produce or butchering. When a predator kills a lactating mother eating the udder is part of the process of procuring food. They don't eat the flesh and skip the udder just because it contains milk and they are weaned. When pigs/chickens/dogs...etc are offered milk, they don't turn their noses up just because they are now adults. To them it's simply food (as it is to many humans).

I find this logic a bit convoluted and reaching, but it's good enough for you who am I to argue? You have the right not to eat/drink whatever you choose and owe no one explanations, just don't expect it to make same sense to others as it does to you.
  • brichards_
    brichards_ Posts: 113 Member
    Dairy is bad. It can cause acne, and does for me. It can also be a big cause of constipation and bloating. It depleats the body of calium and can cause cancer. Plus on an ethical side it's bad. It is high in fat and has cholesterol in it which your body doesn't need or want.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    brichards_ wrote: »
    Dairy is bad. It can cause acne, and does for me. It can also be a big cause of constipation and bloating. It depleats the body of calium and can cause cancer. Plus on an ethical side it's bad. It is high in fat and has cholesterol in it which your body doesn't need or want.

Milk causes cancer.

themoreyouknow.gif
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member

If it causes acne in your body, it it bad for YOU - that doesn't make it bad for everyone. Same goes for the bloating and constipation... as for the cancer reference, I would love to see a scientific study that links milk consumption to cancer.

Also, your body needs both fat and cholesterol to survive... there are vitamins that your body cannot process without the presence of fat. And the links from dietary cholesterol to serum cholesterol (i.e. the amount in your blood) have all but been disproved in recent studies.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    To that point, I do like cheese and yogurt, but I have gone to almond milk as a substitute for cows milk. Humans are the only mammals that never wean themselves...cows don't drink milk once weaned, they eat plants. Actually, most dairy cows are not pasture raised at this time. They live in stalls so small that they cannot turn and must be perpetually impregnated so that they can produce milk continually. Not a good life

So, other mammals make cheese and yogurt? I'm feeling a little confused by your stance on milk, but cheese and yogurt are okay.

I had the exact same thought. I think it's bad logic re milk, but especially weird if one eats cheese, etc. (or cooked food, so on).

It is unnatural that humans don't wean themselves, so they should and stop drinking human milk. Making foods out of stuff is a natural human instinct so making and eating cheese and yogurt makes sense. What's so hard to logic about that? Are you suggesting human food is unnatural, or are you suggesting people should be drinking human milk all their life?

But humans do wean themselves from human milk in the vast majority of cases. Milking a cow is a process of procuring food using the tools they have access to, same as harvesting produce or butchering. When a predator kills a lactating mother eating the udder is part of the process of procuring food. They don't eat the flesh and skip the udder just because it contains milk and they are weaned. When pigs/chickens/dogs...etc are offered milk, they don't turn their noses up just because they are now adults. To them it's simply food (as it is to many humans).

I find this logic a bit convoluted and reaching, but it's good enough for you who am I to argue? You have the right not to eat/drink whatever you choose and owe no one explanations, just don't expect it to make same sense to others as it does to you.

So I should drink human milk if I also eat meat at the same time?

Yes, but only if you milk your mother.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

Where are you getting this misinformation?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2016

You're arguing with a troll, so don't wrap yourself in knots as he likely feeds off of the angst produced by his soul-killing stupidity, if not actual human flesh and milk itself, on which he seems to have a peculiar fixation. To back up your note on predators, here is some charming information on how badgers avail themselves of tasty milk, even after they are weaned, from domestic sheep predation wiki:

"Today the only wild animals remaining as a tangible threat to lambs in the British Isles are the red fox, badger, and predatory birds. ... If the neck and head of a lamb are still attached, and some or all of the organs consumed via biting a hole into the lower abdomen, but not much else, this is often a sign of badger predation. Often only the lamb's stomach is ravaged - badgers like to drink the milk inside."

EVERY predator of mammals drinks milk--and relishes it--on a regular basis, because encumbered females and their nursing young are primary targets. People who claim otherwise are generally idiots when it comes to science. Man is the only animal to have found a way to get milk in a kinder, gentler manner than ripping out the stomach of a living baby lamb, colt or calf.

But are humans natural predators?

We are THE predator. When sharks and tigers develop thumbs, and the ability to engineer and produce super long distance killing devices, then we can worry about our place on the food chain.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member

You're arguing with a troll, so don't wrap yourself in knots as he likely feeds off of the angst produced by his soul-killing stupidity, if not actual human flesh and milk itself, on which he seems to have a peculiar fixation. To back up your note on predators, here is some charming information on how badgers avail themselves of tasty milk, even after they are weaned, from domestic sheep predation wiki:

"Today the only wild animals remaining as a tangible threat to lambs in the British Isles are the red fox, badger, and predatory birds. ... If the neck and head of a lamb are still attached, and some or all of the organs consumed via biting a hole into the lower abdomen, but not much else, this is often a sign of badger predation. Often only the lamb's stomach is ravaged - badgers like to drink the milk inside."

EVERY predator of mammals drinks milk--and relishes it--on a regular basis, because encumbered females and their nursing young are primary targets. People who claim otherwise are generally idiots when it comes to science. Man is the only animal to have found a way to get milk in a kinder, gentler manner than ripping out the stomach of a living baby lamb, colt or calf.

We are THE predator. When sharks and tigers develop thumbs, and the ability to engineer and produce super long distance killing devices, then we can worry about our place on the food chain.

Sharks drink milk? I guess that's where the term nursing shark comes from.

I fear that you completely missed my point.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member

Have you ever read the daily headlines or picked up a history book? Or read up on archaeological findings? Humans are the most vicious and creative predators on the face of the earth, even against the most vicious and creative prey, also, coincidentally, humans. Fortunately we have elaborate social mechanism to keep some of this viciousness in check.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member

Sharks drink milk? I guess that's where the term nursing shark comes from.

That was pretty damn funny, right there.