Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is dairy good or bad?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Ruatine wrote: »
    Y'all realize that guy is a troll, right?
    Of course.
    Don't milk the troll.

TROLL MILK! Awesome idea. At least people won't be able to go on about the baby cows :confounded:
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    OP, are you a mammal?
  • brichards_
    brichards_ Posts: 113 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    brichards_ wrote: »
    Dairy is bad. It can cause acne, and does for me. It can also be a big cause of constipation and bloating. It depleats the body of calium and can cause cancer. Plus on an ethical side it's bad. It is high in fat and has cholesterol in it which your body doesn't need or want.

If it causes acne in your body, it it bad for YOU - that doesn't make it bad for everyone. Same goes for the bloating and constipation... as for the cancer reference, I would love to see a scientific study that links milk consumption to cancer.

Also, your body needs both fat and cholesterol to survive... there are vitamins that your body cannot process without the presence of fat. And the links from dietary cholesterol to serum cholesterol (i.e. the amount in your blood) have all but been disproved in recent studies.

Milk is not healthy. It causes diseases, and it does cause acne. You can research and see for yourself. The dairy industry pays a lot of money for advertisement and to cover the fact that they are unhealthy. I would parallel it to when doctors used to recommend smoking. The body does not need any extra cholesterol because it makes its own. I didn't say don't eat any fat, just eat lower fat, and less saturated and/or unnatural fat. Dairy, especially cheese contains more saturated fat than if think anyone would like to consume if they were being health conscious. Milk irritates your system, causing bloating and constipation due to the fact that humans aren't meant to consume a cows breast milk, they shouldn't still be breast feeding as teens and adults. Their bodies don't enjoy eating strange hormones and pus cells.

• crevtion
    crevtion Posts: 72 Member
    Keep up with the times people. Despite us being brought up with the idea that it is good for us, there is plenty of reasons it is in fact bad, but most choose to ignore it. I am no vegan by the way, but try my best not to consume it as there is plenty of substitutes and ways of getting the right nutrients.

And people saying cows need to be milked- yes - but open your eyes to the conditions this is happening in. The demand is immense so they are treated as machines unless it really is a local farmer. Some are better off dead than living their life serving this industry is all I'm saying.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited August 2016
    Dairy is bad. It can cause acne, and does for me. It can also be a big cause of constipation and bloating. It depleats the body of calium and can cause cancer. Plus on an ethical side it's bad. It is high in fat and has cholesterol in it which your body doesn't need or want.

If it causes acne in your body, it it bad for YOU - that doesn't make it bad for everyone. Same goes for the bloating and constipation... as for the cancer reference, I would love to see a scientific study that links milk consumption to cancer.

Also, your body needs both fat and cholesterol to survive... there are vitamins that your body cannot process without the presence of fat. And the links from dietary cholesterol to serum cholesterol (i.e. the amount in your blood) have all but been disproved in recent studies.

Milk is not healthy. It causes diseases, and it does cause acne. You can research and see for yourself. The dairy industry pays a lot of money for advertisement and to cover the fact that they are unhealthy. I would parallel it to when doctors used to recommend smoking. The body does not need any extra cholesterol because it makes its own. I didn't say don't eat any fat, just eat lower fat, and less saturated and/or unnatural fat. Dairy, especially cheese contains more saturated fat than if think anyone would like to consume if they were being health conscious. Milk irritates your system, causing bloating and constipation due to the fact that humans aren't meant to consume a cows breast milk, they shouldn't still be breast feeding as teens and adults. Their bodies don't enjoy eating strange hormones and pus cells.

Can you supply some of the studies you've looked at?
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    I thought the reason for making cheeses and other dairy products, once methods of preserving this nutritious food stuff had been discovered, when they understood what was going on when they separated liquids and solids etc, was to prolong the "shelf life" and ensure nutrition was available all year not only in the summer.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016

Yeah, in the 1960s, even the CDC use to promote smoking:
    http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/sgr/history/

I guess Mad Men got it wrong, then!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GALMX2BO5ps
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I love Feta cheese, but the last time I tried goat milk, it tasted exactly the way goats smell. I couldn't finish the container.

I got some raw goat milk from a local farmers for our dog's allergies. I honestly couldn't tell the difference in smell between that and cow's milk.
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    edited August 2016
    BillMcKay1 wrote: »

Dairy does literally none of those things to me. Thank you northern european lactose tolerating genes. If you don't wish to consume dairy for your own principles, fine to each their own. Spreading false alarmist info is not cool.

What if you're not Northern European though?

Still doesn't make dairy bad. Just means if you are personally lactose intolerant, probably not the best for you. I can't eat Kimchi without severe repercussions, does that make Kimchi a horrible food that even people who can tolerate should stop eating? I also break out from Mangoes. Everyone should stop eating mangoes.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member

Dairy does literally none of those things to me. Thank you northern european lactose tolerating genes. If you don't wish to consume dairy for your own principles, fine to each their own. Spreading false alarmist info is not cool.

Still doesn't make dairy bad. Just means if you are personally lactose intolerant, probably not the best for you. I can't eat Kim Chi without severe repercussions, does that make Kim Chi a horrible food that even people who can tolerate should stop eating?

Of course. Cannabalism is always horrible.

RIP Kim Chi...

On a side note, while I don't drink milk, I do eat plenty of yogurt, cheese, ice cream, and butter. I also use milk in my baking. Dairy is good and good for you. They also make reduced fat dairy products if you want a lower fat content, and you can switch to nut milks or soy milk if you're lactose intolerant. Dairy is definitely good.
  • brichards_
    brichards_ Posts: 113 Member

Still doesn't make dairy bad. Just means if you are personally lactose intolerant, probably not the best for you. I can't eat Kimchi without severe repercussions, does that make Kimchi a horrible food that even people who can tolerate should stop eating? I also break out from Mangoes. Everyone should stop eating mangoes.
    I'm not lactose intolerant though. It's not made up stuff, though it doesn't seem to affect many people, if they stopped consuming dairy, they'd probably see good results.