Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is dairy good or bad?

Replies

• brichards_
    brichards_ Posts: 113 Member
    brichards_ wrote: »
    BillMcKay1 wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Dairy is bad. It can cause acne, and does for me. It can also be a big cause of constipation and bloating. It depleats the body of calium and can cause cancer. Plus on an ethical side it's bad. It is high in fat and has cholesterol in it which your body doesn't need or want.

If it causes acne in your body, it it bad for YOU - that doesn't make it bad for everyone. Same goes for the bloating and constipation... as for the cancer reference, I would love to see a scientific study that links milk consumption to cancer.

Also, your body needs both fat and cholesterol to survive... there are vitamins that your body cannot process without the presence of fat. And the links from dietary cholesterol to serum cholesterol (i.e. the amount in your blood) have all but been disproved in recent studies.

Milk is not healthy. It causes diseases, and it does cause acne. You can research and see for yourself. The dairy industry pays a lot of money for advertisement and to cover the fact that they are unhealthy. I would parallel it to when doctors used to recommend smoking. The body does not need any extra cholesterol because it makes its own. I didn't say don't eat any fat, just eat lower fat, and less saturated and/or unnatural fat. Dairy, especially cheese contains more saturated fat than if think anyone would like to consume if they were being health conscious. Milk irritates your system, causing bloating and constipation due to the fact that humans aren't meant to consume a cows breast milk, they shouldn't still be breast feeding as teens and adults. Their bodies don't enjoy eating strange hormones and pus cells.

Dairy does literally none of those things to me. Thank you northern european lactose tolerating genes. If you don't wish to consume dairy for your own principles, fine to each their own. Spreading false alarmist info is not cool.

What if you're not Northern European though?

Still doesn't make dairy bad. Just means if you are personally lactose intolerant, probably not the best for you. I can't eat Kimchi without severe repercussions, does that make Kimchi a horrible food that even people who can tolerate should stop eating? I also break out from Mangoes. Everyone should stop eating mangoes.
    I'm not lactose intolerant though. It's not made up stuff, though it doesn't seem to affect many people, if they stopped consuming dairy, they'd probably see good results.

I eat vegan for more than a month twice a year. The only results I keep seeing is missing dairy and anxiously waiting to be able to eat it again.
    find dairy replacements. It's because there is a chemical in dairy that makes it literally addictive.

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Dairy is bad. It can cause acne, and does for me. It can also be a big cause of constipation and bloating. It depleats the body of calium and can cause cancer. Plus on an ethical side it's bad. It is high in fat and has cholesterol in it which your body doesn't need or want.

If it causes acne in your body, it it bad for YOU - that doesn't make it bad for everyone. Same goes for the bloating and constipation... as for the cancer reference, I would love to see a scientific study that links milk consumption to cancer.

Also, your body needs both fat and cholesterol to survive... there are vitamins that your body cannot process without the presence of fat. And the links from dietary cholesterol to serum cholesterol (i.e. the amount in your blood) have all but been disproved in recent studies.

Milk is not healthy. It causes diseases, and it does cause acne. You can research and see for yourself. The dairy industry pays a lot of money for advertisement and to cover the fact that they are unhealthy. I would parallel it to when doctors used to recommend smoking. The body does not need any extra cholesterol because it makes its own. I didn't say don't eat any fat, just eat lower fat, and less saturated and/or unnatural fat. Dairy, especially cheese contains more saturated fat than if think anyone would like to consume if they were being health conscious. Milk irritates your system, causing bloating and constipation due to the fact that humans aren't meant to consume a cows breast milk, they shouldn't still be breast feeding as teens and adults. Their bodies don't enjoy eating strange hormones and pus cells.

Dairy does literally none of those things to me. Thank you northern european lactose tolerating genes. If you don't wish to consume dairy for your own principles, fine to each their own. Spreading false alarmist info is not cool.

Still doesn't make dairy bad. Just means if you are personally lactose intolerant, probably not the best for you. I can't eat Kimchi without severe repercussions, does that make Kimchi a horrible food that even people who can tolerate should stop eating? I also break out from Mangoes. Everyone should stop eating mangoes.
    I'm not lactose intolerant though. It's not made up stuff, though it doesn't seem to affect many people, if they stopped consuming dairy, they'd probably see good results.

I eat vegan for more than a month twice a year. The only results I keep seeing is missing dairy and anxiously waiting to be able to eat it again.
    find dairy replacements. It's because there is a chemical in dairy that makes it literally addictive.

What chemical? What makes it addictive?
  • brichards_
    3bambi3 wrote: »

Casein
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

Is olive oil addictive too? Is cooking addictive? Because those are the other things I miss when I eat no-oil raw vegan and can't wait for days when they are allowed.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016

So the acne I never had (except briefly and mildly as a 13-14 year old, when I didn't consume much dairy at all) will clear up? Cool, totally worth it!
  • brichards_
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

So the acne I never had (except briefly and mildly as a 13-14 year old, when I didn't consume much dairy at all) will clear up? Cool, totally worth it!

Probably not. You're probably already addicted so you'll never give up dairy.
    It's about more than acne. It doesn't clear up everyone's skin and not every person has acne. That's a bit obvious but it clears up many peoples acne, and does cause acne in many people.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

I did a plant-based diet for Lent one year (I normally just do vegetarian)--not Orthodox, just Catholic, so we have wimpy Lent. ;-) I did find that I lost weight without trying to, but my vegan friends have informed me that that's because I didn't do it long enough to get beyond the transition phase and find the replacement foods to eat/overeat. I have found that vegan restaurants, at least (which I go to with one vegan friend in particular) seem to have high cal foods and that if I wanted to I could overeat.

Anyway, I didn't feel better eating that way than any other way that is reasonably healthy (my plant-based diet was pretty healthy), and I did miss fish and dairy in particular, and my eggs at breakfast. I would do it for ethical reasons, if I were convinced of them, but the claims that I'd feel much better are no more accurate than similar claims for things like paleo or cutting out added sugar. I don't. But then I feel fine anyway.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member

Casein

Where the hell do you get that crap from?

It is common knowledge. Casein leads to caseomorphines which is an opoid like morphine and heroin.
    It is why pizza is so addictive.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8169274

The rat study you are touting everywhere concludes it is not addictive: "Consequently, systemically administered beta-casomorphin has very limited or no reinforcing properties similar to those of morphine. Ingestion of milk products containing beta-casomorphin is not likely to become the focus of an addiction."

Okay, now I'm swinging back to "not a troll, just impressively stupid."
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member

Casein

Where the hell do you get that crap from?

She pulls it out of the same place that all the crap comes from.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member

How can you be serious? Do you have any scientific references to give us?