Give me strength, oh wise ones of the message boards....

UGH. This will be my bajillionth time starting over.

I was trying all of the fads out there, and I don't even know the current ones are considered that.....No sugar, no carbs, clean eating, paleo eating , no gluten, etc. (all at separate times, but then started confusing one for the other..mixing all toghether, etc.. which has proved to be a bad idea)

I have been overweight since the age of twelve, and this is the most I have ever been in my entire fat life.
I can't say that I haven't lost weight. I have been to the other side, and I loved it! (for a small period of five years of my life, it was amazing!) But with all of the diets, stresses in life in general, the fat is back with a vengeance!

I am going back to basics and I need help. I just got some containers (knock off from the 21 day fix) where they are small containers and each is color coded for protein, carbs, fats, seeds and nuts, veggies and fruits.
So far I have just been staring at them, sitting on my kitchen counter. I am really not sure if I am going to use them, although I think they will help me with portion control.

Since the beginning of the month, I have added 30 minutes of moderate walking a day. (this is from a 48 BMI girl who didn't do any exercise so go easy on the comments) and I have been logging everything I have been eating on here.

The thing is, I am so so SO terrified of failing again. I am really taking this slow and using smallest baby steps as to so I don't 'fall off the wagon' yet one more time.

Because every time I do, every time I add in exercise, eating habits, and then I stop....I gain back A LOT more than I lost. Which is why I blame diets for the size I am today. (Please note this is a somewhat sarcastic remark)

So, with that said, I have no idea where to start. I am probably going the meal prep route, and so far, I have been consistent on tracking and exercising.....but it's only been a week.

Any other suggestions from anyone is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• pspenny36
    pspenny36 Posts: 64 Member
    No special diet is need. Your best investment would be a food scale. Enter your data in mfp and eat the suggested number of calories, eating foods you like.

Is there a way MFP calculates the food weighing? I had one years ago, but never really used it.
  • pspenny36
    cathipa wrote: »
    Get a scale. Weigh your food (don't use the 21 day fad cups unless you really like to do dishes). Set a reasonable calorie goal and stick to it. 20-30 min of exercise 4-5 days a week.

I didnt think about the dishwashing aspect. thanks, :-)
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Grams or oz. Avoid entries that use servings, cups, spoons.
  • mrmeza123
    mrmeza123 Posts: 34 Member
    30 minutes of cardio is nice, that is your minimum. Hmmm, I would suggest that you would go out and take more walks throughout the day. Whenever you feel that you want to walk away from your diet! I like to think that feeling good counts as well. The numbers come after awhile. Naturally.
  • tallen3687
    tallen3687 Posts: 244 Member
    I know where you are coming from. Been there, done that. Starting again. I have to agree with weighing your food. My biggest problem is "guessing" portions. The scale is the most inexpensive thing about dieting. I'm getting it back out when I get home. Good luck. Keep walking and checking your portions!!! You can do it!
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Slow and steady. For me through eating part is a lot easier to adjust, it's when I add in exercise that things get a little crazy. So I'm starting off slow this time. I had no choice but to change my way of eating if I didn't want to be sick to my stomach after eating any more. Today I started adding exercise but I've been eating better, moderating my portions since the end of June. Only counting calories for the last 19ish days. I am starting out with a 30 minute walk and 15 minutes beginners yoga. It isn't much but it's something I can stick to. That's the important thing. Good luck and feel free to add me!
  • pspenny36

[*] Repeat this process until you're in a reasonable calorie deficit.

What is this? I have seen it many times on here. ..

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    It seems your biggest problem is indecision. I've been there. I took an eight week course that breaks down any problem in to weekly goals. That way you can establish success every week.

http://patienteducation.stanford.edu/programs/cdsmp.html

Why not fill those containers this week and note what works, what doesn't work.

I imagine a shopping trip is in order.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    On top of all the awesome advice already mentioned here, I think the most important advice I was given when I was starting out for the nth time was:

Don't give up on yourself even if you're having a bad day. Just get up, dust off, and keep walking! Or as my aunt likes to say: get up, set crown right, and keep walking :wink:
  • pspenny36
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    On top of all the awesome advice already mentioned here, I think the most important advice I was given when I was starting out for the nth time was:

Don't give up on yourself even if you're having a bad day. Just get up, dust off, and keep walking! Or as my aunt likes to say: get up, set crown right, and keep walking :wink:

I love it, thank you!
  • pspenny36
    jgnatca wrote: »
    It seems your biggest problem is indecision. I've been there. I took an eight week course that breaks down any problem in to weekly goals. That way you can establish success every week.

http://patienteducation.stanford.edu/programs/cdsmp.html

Why not fill those containers this week and note what works, what doesn't work.

I imagine a shopping trip is in order.

Yes, totally! I have to purge my fridge and start fresh. I checked out that link, I think everyone can use that at some point. But I am a scatter brain. I am planning on adding more meditation into a daily routine. Thanks!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    pspenny36 wrote: »

Do you mean what is a "reasonable calorie deficit"?

"Calorie deficit": Eating fewer calories than you burn (via BMR, daily activities, exercise). It's how you lose weight.

"Reasonable": Losing no more than about 1% of your body weight per week, and less if you're within 25 pounds or so of goal weight. There's potentially more to it than that, but that's the basic idea.
  • pspenny36
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Do you mean what is a "reasonable calorie deficit"?

"Calorie deficit": Eating fewer calories than you burn (via BMR, daily activities, exercise). It's how you lose weight.

"Reasonable": Losing no more than about 1% of your body weight per week, and less if you're within 25 pounds or so of goal weight. There's potentially more to it than that, but that's the basic idea.

So, if I eat 1500 calories, I would have had to burn off more than that to lose weight? How would I know?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member

A calorie deficit is when you are eating fewer calories than your body burns in a day. It is what causes weight loss.