just diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes

13»

Replies

• Shua89
    Shua89 Posts: 144 Member
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Shua89 wrote: »
    I was half-heartedly doing low carb for a few weeks before my diagnosis. Now I'm 100% low carb and doing pretty well with it.

Congrats on finding a way of eating (WOE) that works for you (LCHF is great for T2D). Here is a link to the main low carber forum group here in MFP. It is where most of us ketofiles tend to hang out so come on by, drop in and say hellp:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

You'll find it a very warm, welcoming and supportive group. Best of luck to you OP!

Thank you. I just sent the request to join.
  • rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Good luck. I have a friend who was told she was prediabetic and he brazenly told her (this means, forget the carbohydrates as much as possible and the sugar.) Her sister has Type 2 Diabetes but she does not after having done this for three years. She has replaced white rice with black rice, white flour with some of the alternative kinds. When she eats in the staffroom, she has meat and vegetables. She goes easy on the fruit. She does not exercise but has a fairly active job. Prior to, she had massive brain fog and was having trouble thinking and going to work.
  • Shua89
    I just wanted to give you an update since it's now been a month since I was diagnosed with T2D. I have gone completely low carb and have lost 18 pounds (a great start, but I still have a long way to go). My typical daily glucose levels are under 100, oftentimes in the 80's or low 90's so I'm very happy about that.

I was in the hospital over the weekend last week due to an infected gland and they refused to let me have my Metformin (totally stupid!) but I was able to keep my numbers low even without it. That's very encouraging.

It's not easy but it's getting a little easier every day.

Thank you for the encouragement and advice, it helped a lot to get me started.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    'Happy to hear that your food plan is working for you. :)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    cw106 wrote: »
    ... this from a former 276 llb T2 metformin swallower who is now 160 lbs and med free....
    nhs.co.uk AND diabetes.co.uk sites are excellent resources.

@cw106 Thanks for the refs. How's it going?
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    @RalfLott .Still diet controlled,and do lots of running.
    Thanks for the follow up.
  • RalfLott
    Great - glad to hear!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    I wanted to give you all a 3 month update on me. I have now lost 35 pounds (yay!). I am still eating low carb and have adjusted to it pretty well. Sweets really hold very little temptation for me now. I walk on average 6-8 miles a day which has helped tremendously.

I go back to the doc in 2 weeks to find out my new A1C level. My monitor says my 90 day average is a 96 so that equates to about a 5.0 A1C. We'll find out just how accurate my monitor is. :smile:

A little non-scale victory happened over the weekend. I tried on a shirt and had to put a large back and get a medium. I could have probably worn a small but the medium was just more comfortable (I like my clothes a little loose).

That is amazing! Well done. :)
  • RalfLott
    I wanted to give you all a 3 month update on me. I have now lost 35 pounds (yay!). I am still eating low carb and have adjusted to it pretty well. Sweets really hold very little temptation for me now. I walk on average 6-8 miles a day which has helped tremendously.

I go back to the doc in 2 weeks to find out my new A1C level. My monitor says my 90 day average is a 96 so that equates to about a 5.0 A1C. We'll find out just how accurate my monitor is. :smile:

A little non-scale victory happened over the weekend. I tried on a shirt and had to put a large back and get a medium. I could have probably worn a small but the medium was just more comfortable (I like my clothes a little loose).

Be prepared for your A1c to be higher than your monitor might suggest - so get ready for 5.1, maybe even 5.2. :#

Nice going, especially the walking. If you were born in 1989 (?), you are doing yourself an enormous favor not only by sticking to a healthy plan, but also in accumulating knowledge at this (ahem) tender stage of your life.
  • clairelouisekaa
    clairelouisekaa Posts: 74 Member
    Hi there I'm a type 2 diabetic at my heaviest weight (22 stone) I was on insulin injections. I have lost 8 stone plus and now I am no medication at all !!!! Just diet controlled. Diabetes is what I have not who I am xx
  • Shua89
    RalfLott wrote: »

Be prepared for your A1c to be higher than your monitor might suggest - so get ready for 5.1, maybe even 5.2. :#

Nice going, especially the walking. If you were born in 1989 (?), you are doing yourself an enormous favor not only by sticking to a healthy plan, but also in accumulating knowledge at this (ahem) tender stage of your life.

Born in 1989, that's funny. I had already graduated high school by that time. :blush:

• Shua89
    Hi there I'm a type 2 diabetic at my heaviest weight (22 stone) I was on insulin injections. I have lost 8 stone plus and now I am no medication at all !!!! Just diet controlled. Diabetes is what I have not who I am xx

Exactly, this disease does not define me. It's something I have to live with but it is not who I am.
  • soufauxgirl
    soufauxgirl Posts: 392 Member
    Congrats OP on your amazing results! I was in a similar situation to you, Diagnosed T2D in Dec 2015. Walked out of the doc's office and started to change my life the next day. I have since lost 25kg (55 pounds) with a little ways to go - all through healthy low-carb eating, walking or jogging daily. My initial reading at fasting was 13 - last check which was about 6 weeks ago was at 5.2. I am thrilled and have accepted that I will need to be vigilant for the rest of my life.
  • Shua89
    So blood work is back and my A1C is a 5.2! I am thrilled. Still on meds for another 3 months and if I can keep my A1C this low he wants to start taking me off of them.

I am excited about this summer. Both dh and I have lost 35 pounds each (I am now wearing a size 8!) and are so much more active and enjoying life so much more. We're even buying kayaks next weekend and have several hiking trips planned.

Oddly enough, this diagnosis probably improved my quality of life because it was the wake up call I needed to take my health and life more seriously.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    I too am a type 2 diabetic. I've only done small tweaks to my diet. I have cut out added sugar and I do limit (but not eliminate) my carbs. I also added 30 minutes or more of walking on most days.
    and 3 metformin tablets.

One book I found really helpful was Diabetes for Dummies-you know part of that series. Now I used the Canadian Version but I assume there is an american version as well..

Down 34 lbs. From obese to overweight and on my way to normal. Less than 2 lbs form my original goal weight-and I'll be setting another one 25 lbs lower and thats normal BMI.
  • Shua89
    6 month update and I'm really excited. I have now lost 43 pounds and my A1C is at 5.0. The doctor just took me off ALL meds. I just now need to keep monitoring and control it through diet and exercise.

Thank you all for your encouragement and advise.

By the way this has been the best summer I've had in a long time. We have been so active and enjoyed ourselves so much. We have been kayaking more times than I can count. We hiked 9 miles this past Saturday (the mountain lovers trail - it was tough!). We've had the bikes out a bunch of times. Our quality of life has improved so much and I'm so much happier (not that I wasn't happy before because I'm just a happy person but it's way better now).
  • grannynot
    grannynot Posts: 146 Member
    And then check out the Glycemic Index. I eat fruit (not juices) and some grainy bread and do fine with them if their GI is low. Things like beans are excellent, even though they are carb heavy. They just digest differently, so it's really not like high carb from a cupcake.

^^^This. My mom was a T2D; and despite my warnings, she didn't understand Glycemic responses. She was convinced that as long as she could balance her blood sugar by injecting more insulin, she was fine. I tried to tell her that insulin creates problems, and she should aspire to use less. But what did I know, right? She was moderately active, and not terribly overweight, either - but she LOVED her sweets and foods loaded with simple (read high-glycemic) carbs.

14 years ago, she went blind, due to nerve damage. Then her kidneys started to fail, enough so that a hospital stay caused them to stop functioning completely - it was probably a good thing that her heart quit shortly thereafter, because she would have HATED to be on dialysis; and might have needed assisted living where they would NEVER give a diabetic a cinnamon roll for breakfast....

So to the OP - I realize this isn't "support" - but maybe a good scare will help, too.....