The Poop Talk: Constipation & the AIP Diet

I've been a strict follower of the Auto Immune Protocol diet for four weeks now. No cheating: dairy, nightshade, grain, gluten, egg, nut, seed, nightshade, booze and caffeine free. Yes, I even stopped drinking coffee like it suggested but I'm having problem with constipation. Even though I'm getting plenty of fiber through food consumption, as well as adding ground flax, magnesium and psyllium fiber to my green smoothies. Best I get is a little gas when I'm anticipating a reasonable bowel movement. This has greatly caused the scale to remain constant and I'm bloated from bowel back up.

I will concede that I am still not on an exercise regime yet and am largely out of shape and overweight. Part of it is due to joint pain and inflammation and part is due to being lazy and out of practice. I'm also stressed out which I know is a contributor. Folks, it ain't easy being me.

Replies

• grannynot
    grannynot Posts: 146 Member
    Are you drinking enough water?? That helps the psyllium, etc do their work. And exercise.

My neighbor had an intestinal blockage (that was finally resolved non-surgically) - but spent 11 days in the hospital. I'm not suggesting you take a laxative - but keep up with as much fiber as you can stand. Blockages are serious stuff.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    walk 15 minutes a day-break it up into smaller chunks if you need to Increase time if that is what you already do.

Drink warm prune juice 1/2 cup

Up your regular water intake, try some of it warm, some cold, some room temperature just drinkl 11 glasses of the stuff

Soon you should be moving
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    5 days and no BM warrants a trip to the doctor! I am not a fan of laxatives but I can't say that I have not done one or two in the past. And not to be gross but Fleet works in an emergency should you wait for a doctor visit.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Seek medical advice if it's been 5 days or more. The dr will probably suggest a laxative but at least you'll be under their care if something happens. In the future after a couple days you can use mineral oil. It has no real taste, and is clear. You can simply take a couple tablespoons or mix it into icecream or whatever you're eating. The body can't digest it so it lubricates your intestines but doesn't really cause cramps. We've even given it to our children over the years in icecream when they had issues at the advice of a doctor. Does wonders and it's cheap as hell. Many of the other laxatives you buy can cause cramping and are much more expensive. It can also take the mineral oil a couple days to work through your system so like I said if it's been too long already you may need a prescription laxative this time around.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    When I worked at the ER one of the PA's always asked "When they last time you pooped? You just need to poop." It was the correct diagnosis in 90% of the stomach and abdominal pain cases.
    Also, what the heck is nightshade in? Isn't that poisonous?
  • shoeoptional
    shoeoptional Posts: 46 Member
    I get plenty of water as I realistically can't drink anything else. I can always drink more. I'm not going to the doctor because every doctor just wants to write me scripts for everything. I get a new GP about every two years because these system doctors 1) Don't believe in nutritional healing 2) Believes the answer lies in a new prescription. I believe these prescriptions have furthered my auto-immune issues.

I'm going to start the 15 minute walks though.
  • shoeoptional
    Nightshades: Most commonly: tomato, potato, peppers, eggplants, etc. It's part of food elimination diet that gradually reintroduces foods back into the diet. A reaction after a reintroduction notes your body's intolerance or issue with it.
  • Spliner1969
    I get plenty of water as I realistically can't drink anything else. I can always drink more. I'm not going to the doctor because every doctor just wants to write me scripts for everything. I get a new GP about every two years because these system doctors 1) Don't believe in nutritional healing 2) Believes the answer lies in a new prescription. I believe these prescriptions have furthered my auto-immune issues.

I'm going to start the 15 minute walks though.

Unless there's a reason Mineral Oil would not be allowed, trust me, it works. An adult can take up to 45ml of it at one time before bed. Just be advised that it's going to work, and when it does it may work too well so I suggest starting out with at least half that amount and then after 24 hours the other half if necessary. Don't blame you with the prescriptions.

http://www.healthline.com/health/digestive-health/mineral-oil-for-constipation
  • shoeoptional
    I'm going to try some Aloe Vera Juice. Came highly recommended by a friend. I appreciate the input.
  • shoeoptional
    Now I may try mineral oil just for fun.
  • Spliner1969
    You may want to research Aloe Vera Juice, it's got some "this might not be good for you" warnings. But then again everything you read on the Internet is true right? lol.. They probably pumped rats full of 55 gallons of the stuff then whined because they died.
  • Spliner1969
    Now I may try mineral oil just for fun.

Good luck! We keep it stocked for this very reason. Not to use it often, but just because we have a lot of grand kids and kids and the wife and I have used it for years with no ill effects with all of them. It's like $3-$4 a bottle, less at the dollar stores sometimes.
  • shoeoptional
    Going to try the mineral oil. Looks like I can get it at CVS or Walgreens unless you guys have a specific brand you prefer? I just looked on Amazon and the first ones that came up are for wooden cutting boards.
  • Spliner1969
    Blech.. yea we get the stuff at Wal-Mart or at Walgreens/CVS. Comes in a bottle and says laxative use on it. I think they have pills too if the liquid grosses you out, my guess is they take longer to work.
  • shoeoptional
    Took a 3T dosage. Bring on the trots!
  • jasperdog52554
    jasperdog52554 Posts: 115 Member
    How is your fat intake? Increased fat works better for me than fiber.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Try Triphala. Google it to see if it would work for you. Should you try it make sure to get organic brand.
  • sandflower81
    sandflower81 Posts: 399 Member
    If you go to the doctor they are going to more than likely give you magnesium citrate. You can buy your own at CVS for 2 bucks. It's a natural laxative and you'll poop guaranteed lmbo. I have a problem too with constipation though I drink over a gallon of water a day, exercise and eat healthy. I just sip on the magnesium citrate every once in a while to keep things flowing. All the Ruffage
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Part of the AIP is to pay attention to your sleep and exercise regime. I read what you said about exercising - seated or chair yoga is absolutely amazing to start with. Also just walking around for a few minutes after you eat is helpful to get your bm moving. But AIP barely helps my symptoms unless if I get a decent amount of sleep. try to find a sleep regime that works for you, like staying away from electronic devices an hour before, turning off all lights, etc, etc. You are also just 4 weeks in, give it some time to work. I've been on it for almost 3.5 months, and I just noticed more of the major positive changes :smiley:
  • shoeoptional
    Good advice. Today was day two of my walking regime. Trying for those 10,000 steps but not over doing it. Logged almost 17,000 steps in two days. I'm hanging in there.