I failed Misserably

Like the title says, I failed miserably. I never imagined id be where I am today. Back in 2013 I had lost 70 pounds within 8 months. Today I have gained back at least 45 pounds. I need to get back on track but I don't know where to begin to be honest. I try to do good but then by the end of day I end up binging on calories. Please give me any recommendations. I'd like to lose at least 10 pounds by Sept 16th to start out

Replies

• mrmeza123
    mrmeza123 Posts: 34 Member
    Start a running program, and stick to your diet. It will take your body awhile for it to adjust (numbers) to the workout and nutrition your feeding yourself, but the results will show.
  • JamesMonozyme
    JamesMonozyme Posts: 14 Member
    Similar story to me. In 2013 I lost 74lb but during 2014 and ever since I've been binging like crazy and now have gained back around 50lb. I'm just starting a 12 week diet which I hope to lose the weight again so if you'd like feel free to add me I'll offer support to you but I can only say start restricting your calories and choose good foods to eat. Not because of fats etc but because you'll feel more full by eating good nutrients compared to junk food. Also stay away from any soda (including diets). For me diet soda really causes be cravings which makes me incredibly stressed and mostly end up binging.
  • Abram86
    Abram86 Posts: 282 Member
    I also forgot to mention that I tend to lose motivaton so I pasted my photo from 2013 when I was down to 195 onto my home screen of my phone in hopes of having it motivate me since I look at my phone 24/7 lol. I tend to have a muscular top covered by fat so should i focus on doing cardio for a few weeks then return to weight lifting?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited August 2016
    70 lbs in 8 months is a lot. Not that it can't be done and maintained, but if you cut too hard, it's tough to adjust, and you can find yourself saying "f it." Slow and steady wins the race.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You have to find an eating plan that you can stick with FOR LIFE. Start by just reducing your portions. Don't eat off a 13 inch plate. Eat off a 9 inch one and don't go back for seconds. Get that down first then take the next step.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Everything above...and you've already taken the first step ;)
  • Abram86
    Thanks to everyone who responded
  • kprimaverab
    kprimaverab Posts: 32 Member
    Is there a reason you binge? Depression? Anxiety? Family or relationship issues? As someone who has always been overweight, as soon as I resolved these external & emotional issues I could lose the weight.
    Good luck ❤
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Chin up. All we have is today and we can only look to change the future. The past is what it is.

A few observations
    (1) You have successfully lost weight before. That means you can do it, you have the right skills already.
    (2) You recognize you need to act before you regain all of what you lost. You're one up on me.. I lost 60 lbs at age 19, only to regain it, and another 45 over the following 15 years before I said "wait a minute!"
    (3) Did you gain 10 lbs a month? Forget about losing 10 lbs a month. That's just misery. No wonder you're not motivated. Figure out a 500 calorie deficit (that's 1 lb/week) through a combination of diet and increased exercise. (4) Log your food. Do the things you enjoy to burn calories. Make a commitment that these are not temporary, they're how you're going to live your life from now on.

Best wishes!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,281 Member
    Stop beating yourself up to the point of feeling helpless. You did it before..that was YOU who lost the 80 pounds. Hunker down and do what you've gotta do and drop the 45. I understand feeling angry at yourself. We've all done it..been there.. dust yourself off and take control.. you can do it! :smiley:
  • monicaw44
    monicaw44 Posts: 71 Member
    I do that too, so the plan I devised was to eat a very small lunch, like a banana and a protein shake. wait until dinner then start eating the rest of your food ie calories. that way youre eating a lot but not over your caloric goal. Im trying however to spread my calories out more evenly throughout the day. have a snack like a piece of fruit or very low calorie snack to tide you over between meals, too.
  • monicaw44
    monicaw44 Posts: 71 Member
    Abram86 wrote: »
    I also forgot to mention that I tend to lose motivaton so I pasted my photo from 2013 when I was down to 195 onto my home screen of my phone in hopes of having it motivate me since I look at my phone 24/7 lol. I tend to have a muscular top covered by fat so should i focus on doing cardio for a few weeks then return to weight lifting?

I do that, but on my home computer, its a picture of the big me, the weight gain I don't want to keep.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Like the title says, I failed miserably. I never imagined id be where I am today. Back in 2013 I had lost 70 pounds within 8 months. Today I have gained back at least 45 pounds. I need to get back on track but I don't know where to begin to be honest. I try to do good but then by the end of day I end up binging on calories. Please give me any recommendations. I'd like to lose at least 10 pounds by Sept 16th to start out

If you only have 45 pounds left (btw congrats keeping 35 pounds off) then don't be as aggressive with your weight loss management plan. Calculate a 1 pound loss a week instead of 2 pounds, for instance. Perhaps you have too big of a deficit and are too hungry to sustain the diet long term? When you get closer to goal you might want to weigh food because the deficit will get smaller and smaller.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    monicaw44 wrote: »

I do that, but on my home computer, its a picture of the big me, the weight gain I don't want to keep.

It is better to hold a positive, desired picture of yourself in your mind so that you have a blueprint to work towards.
  • Abram86
    Wow thanks for all the great responses! As for the question above of what causes me to binge eat. I think nerves and anxiousness. I've never been depressed but sometimes it get nervous or anxious and I stuff my face.