What motivates you?

ronevans534
ronevans534 Posts: 51 Member
edited August 2016 in Motivation and Support
I'm just curious what gets you off the couch?

Replies

• ronevans534
    ronevans534 Posts: 51 Member
    Thanks for the reply. I'll count that as health related and overcoming some family history. I'm with you there, my father had a heart attack at age 62 and I would like to avoid that if I can!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    The 5k I signed up for :o
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    edited August 2016
    My recent blood test motivates me -- sky high cholesterol, hypertension, and high blood sugar from being overweight, eating junk, and little exercise. I don't want to be an out of shape, overweight person on pills -- or suffer a heart attack or stroke because of what I put in my mouth. There is more to life than stuffing my face and sitting on the couch.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I enjoy training...I'm not a sitter arounder...I've always been restless with too much sitting around. No motivation needed really...I dig it!
  • butdoesitdjent
    butdoesitdjent Posts: 1 Member
    Being able to travel and be social without worrying about health issues and anxiety. Using vacations as my reward helps me keep my motivation. It's worked for this long :)
  • spikesforu
    spikesforu Posts: 5 Member
    I'm not sure if this would is a good thing but the negativity from others drives my motivations to push myself.
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Seeing the changes that are happening to me, as well as proving to people (and to myself) that I'm beautiful, strong, and successful in the ventures I undertake.
  • mrmeza123
    mrmeza123 Posts: 34 Member
    Knowing I am doing nothing productive in the first place. So, why not?

Secondly, imagining how strong I will be after the workout/healthy meal when I really don't want to do it; even if I'm pacing myself. Just like running, the results show in the long run. Don't let your laziness get the best of you. That's truly the only way you lose the fight, for the moment.
  • nuggehtron
    nuggehtron Posts: 40 Member
    My 2 girls. The fact i hate my extra kgs and my motivation to want to smash it in life and be the fittest dad i can be
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    In the beginning it was about quality of life, my weight was complicating a spinal issue and the pain was out of hand and I was doing a combination of self medicating (alcohol ) and spinals. That's not the life I wanted. 60lbs later I am active every day so I can honestly look at myself in the mirror and say I'm doing all I can to be fit. I'm not on ANY pain meds and I'm working my way up to a 10 mile hike, hit 8 5 hilly miles the other day.
    I'm motivated by just knowing that the human body is capable of amazing things and healing but we cannot realize those benefits unless we push ourselves.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,791 Member
    These days?

My desire to get back into the long distance cycling I enjoyed a few years ago.
  • xjchic98
    xjchic98 Posts: 85 Member
    I have two upcoming vacations, for starters. But I've also come across some health issues recently and ended up having my thyroid removed a couple of months ago and have started really struggling to manage my weight. I'm not ok with that!
  • bozovic92
    bozovic92 Posts: 4 Member
    Being a good role model for my kids and my staff :)
  • tomorrowistoday0000
    tomorrowistoday0000 Posts: 125 Member
    Quite a few actually but from the top of my head: (1)Watching 50+ year olds run pass me every weekend (2) My love for food and the need for balance (3) Of course, health-related benefits because I want to be able to walk unassisted until I'm 100. (4) Last but not least, inspiration from fitness friends. They keep me going when the going gets tough.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Tiny goals - I have 30-60 minutes and it's under 85 degrees? I can get 2-3 miles in. Less time / higher temp? I can do some weight lifting inside. What keeps me motivated is knowing that I can at least do a little bit. Then I do a little bit more. The important part is getting started!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member

You mean health/diet/fitness wise? I don't need motivation. It hurts me more to not go to the gym or move than it does to skip it. I don't do cardio so I do watch my steps to make sure I move...in that case-shopping.
  • hanwatts2016
    hanwatts2016 Posts: 32 Member
    the thought of my partner not having that instant attraction. after knowing him 7years it took me 5 to get him and in that time lost 2stone in weight. never thought would ever love me as cringy as it sounds lol
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I don't really sit on the couch.. always too much to do. But what gets me to the gym... The moment I have a kid-free second I am there because I love training and it is a priority for me to reach my goals
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    The next chapter of the audiobook I only listen to during exercise.