Why does everybody detest low carb diets? They are the only thing that works for me

Replies

• ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    IMO..Low Carb/ Keto etc..has simply become the latest craze..the latest fad..

I get sick of reading about it with all the baloney that's tossed out with it.

It's the best way to lose weight. It's THE ONLY thing that works for me. It's scientific. When I achieve the bliss that is in my ketogenic state..blah blah blah..

Baloney. (and I don't mean baloney as in..it doesn't work..simply baloney in all the crap associated with reading about it)

It works for some people..and hey..whatever works for a person is fantastic. But Low Carb works because of CICO. and a person is most likely exercising in some fashion.

In the end..it's simply tiresome to read.

Weight Loss is not rocket science. There are many ways to achieve your goals. So, whatever path you choose..great. The reason many paths fail, is people choose something and then they do not sustain it over time.

That's why "diets" fail. Make it a lifestyle change. A healthy balance of a good diet and exercise.

I am diabetic. I am on NO meds. My Dr. never once mentioned go low carbs (to either lose weight, or help watch my diabetes.) He simply said.. "Put On Your Shoes" Meaning ..Lose weight. Get active. Do something.Do anything.

"Put On Your Shoes" It stuck with me. I have lost 70+ pounds since March 1st this year. All my tests were great on my most recent Dr. Visit.

In the end..Keep things simple is my motto.

Just My Opinon

YMMV

You rock, dude! Keep at it!
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    edited August 2016
    I keep carbs to around 40% of my overall food intake. They still make up the largest portion of my macros as I balance protein and fats at around 30% each.
    Some consider that "low carb", but it gets results in that I have goals of fat reduction while maintaining weight.
    Further, most of my carb intake is veggies and fruits.
    Another reason I mostly cut out certain carb foods was to address issues related to type II diabetes symptoms that had cropped up.
    I used diet to turn that beast away, but I have this fear of its return. I do not want to end up that fat guy popping 10+ pills per day to manage sickness I can prevent now.
  • ThePoeToaster
    Return2Fit wrote: »
    I keep carbs to around 40% of my overall food intake. They still make up the largest portion of my macros as I balance protein and fats at around 30% each.
    That's considered "low carb", but it gets results in that I have goals of fat reduction while maintaining weight.
    Another reason I mostly cut out certain carb foods was to address issues related to type II diabetes symptoms that had cropped up.
    I used diet to turn that beast away, but I have this fear of its return. I do not want to end up that fat guy popping 10+ pills per day to manage sickness I can prevent now.

Nah...40/30/30 has been around forever. I don't think that's low carb, is it?
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    A low carb diet was a lot more expensive for me. I can't afford to spend that kind of money.
  • ThePoeToaster
    You don't need to
  • Return2Fit
    That's considered "low carb", but it gets results in that I have goals of fat reduction while maintaining weight.

Really?
    I was hoping my diet would gain me acceptance into the exclusive world of low carb communities...
    Oh well..
    This I know, I could not go any lower without stifling my overall energy levels, but whatever, if somebody gets results doing something, cool!
  • ThePoeToaster

Really?
    I was hoping my diet would gain me acceptance into the exclusive world of low carb communities...
    Oh well..
    This I know, I could not go any lower without stifling my overall energy levels, but whatever, if somebody gets results doing something, cool!

LOL! Just tell the low carb folks you eat under 100g a day...fib a little...they'll never know.

Mark Allen was using this ratio in 1989 when he began his string of 5 Hawaiiian Ironman victories. This ratio was made popular by "The Zone" diet. Been around forever.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    lodro wrote: »
    The hate is not for the diet itself, but for the ridiculous claims around it. Different people thrive on different diets and that's a fact. For some, that's low carb, and that's great. The hate is for the widespread misinformation around it, like you have to go low carb to lose weight, that it's better than some other diet for everyone, that it somehow defies the laws of physics, cures all ailments, that everyone who isn't eating low carb is always hungry, that the results aren't as good on other diets for everyone...etc.

You will find other diets that circulate similarly ridiculous claims get the same amount of criticism like Paleo, vegan, gluten free, restricting certain foods...etc even though they work brilliantly for some people. It's more in the vein of "it's not necessary" than "you shouldn't do it". If you are doing well on it and liking it, that's completely different than deeming that level of restriction necessary for everyone.

People are generally encouraged to experiment with various approaches and macro balances and find what works for them, which may as well be low carb for some.

I'm seeing a parade of straw men...

Have you been eating shrooms? Or do you just not know what a straw man is?
  • Return2Fit
    This ratio was made popular by "The Zone" diet. Been around forever.
    WHAT!
    :#
    I thought I invented it...

• snerggly
    snerggly Posts: 112 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    What matters for weight loss is that you are in a calorie deficit. If low carb is a way of eating that enables you to achieve the calorie deficit, then great. People may be pushing back if you are approaching it as a temporary "diet" as many who look at any particular approach as a short term means to an end often end up failing.

I would listen to ANYONE named WinoGelato!!!
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    I am only low carbohydrate, when it pertains to consuming my minimum recommended amount of 130 grams; nothing less than that. I also do medium fat & high protein.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    snerggly wrote: »
    You know, I was about to leap on here judging but your last sentence "it's the only thing that works for me" got me in the feels. I hate this expression but "at the end of the day" that's all that matters my friend. You take good care of you and ignore we haters ;). Do what makes you happy and what feels good to you. Right?

I had to give up dairy and meat. Heart disease is very real to me. I am at the age where my Cardiologist told me that I would have to have open heart surgery to repair a heart valve. I was a competitive runner until my mid-30's. You can't out exercise heart disease unfortunately. I read Dr. Esselstyn's book on how to over come heart disease and also Dr. John McDougall's stuff on how eating a high carb (plant carb) diet can heal the body and I was sold.

I wish you all the best ;), everyone's journey is personal and different. Who are we to judge?

I have a heart valve defect and was never told to avoid meat and dairy. did they tell you why? as for having OHS for the valve repair. for some its not needed. I was told the only way I would need the valve fixed or replaced was if I went into cardiac arrest,they said most people have no issues caused from it. it can mimic asthma symptoms I did learn though.some diets cannot cure or heal certain health issues.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

I don't consider it such, and it's how I eat more often than not (trying to increase carbs a bit lately and also to eat less meat).