are squats overrated?

Replies

• BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    edited August 2016
    Doing squats for a week won't change much. Over many months, now we're talking. I love squats.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    I love squats and they can be adjusted in different forms to work different areas (smaller muscles) and adapted to protect knees etc so many variations to meet anyone needs or ability level from air squats to heavy lifting front or back squats.
  • bketchum1981
    bketchum1981 Posts: 130 Member
    Squat a lot! Good for the glutes ...amazing results if done regularly!
  • Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Doing squats has improved my cycling. My speed, endurance, and climbing ability have all increased since I started doing them a few months ago.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Self starting cars and heated seats are life changing.

Finding the space to love yourself is life changing.

Squats are a religion. But they aren't life changing.

Why would I want a car that starts by itself ?

That sounds wrong

It doesn't start random by itself, you have a remote to start it. I don't know why you would want one but I love mine in the winter when its 20 degrees out and getting into a cold car at 5 in the morning really sucks
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    When you can't squat or walk up stairs, doing squats can be life changing because they get you to the point where you can do all the things you couldn't do before.
  • merryward13
    merryward13 Posts: 1,662 Member
    Various kinds of squats are in my leg workouts. Not an absolute but great for building lower body.
  • jessmcd1986
    jessmcd1986 Posts: 20 Member
    #squatsforlyf
    Also I'm a powerlifter so they are essential. But if you can do them with proper form, then absolutely put them in your routine as there are plenty of benefits listed above :)
  • jtcedinburgh
    jtcedinburgh Posts: 117 Member
    I'm loving squats, too*. I've also been trying that third world squat exercise several times a day (luckily I seem to be quite suited to that).

* I reserve the right to change my mind as the weight increases to Manly Man levels - at the moment I'm still doing Baby Man (<40Kg) squats as I've just started ;)
  • Dayle1984
    Dayle1984 Posts: 70 Member
    #squatsforlife

Definitely not over-rated.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    edited August 2016
    I like to add squats to my workout routine as I got used to them while doing Sl5x5, but I think they are hyped way too much in the social media. Most of the people that talk about squat power for their butt everyday have little to no butt. :lol:
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    King_Spicy wrote: »
    I like to add squats to my workout routine as I got used to them while doing Sl5x5, but I think they are hyped way too much in the social media. Most of the people that talk about squat power for their butt everyday have little to no butt. :lol:

lol, yep there are far better and focused exercises for butt mass.
  • jakeycork
    jakeycork Posts: 26 Member
    I squat 3 times a week and love them. Major key for strength building. Not life changing though.

You can build good legs without them.
    You can build a good butt without them.
    But with them, they help.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Self starting cars and heated seats are life changing.

Finding the space to love yourself is life changing.

Squats are a religion. But they aren't life changing.

Why would I want a car that starts by itself ?

That sounds wrong

I'm totally on board with heated seats. January in Ontario means heated seats make my butt very happy.
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    I have an undiagnosed knee weakness/pain that I'm avoiding and ..squats make that surface itself, so I limit them. I do miss squatting with weight but I really don't want to hurt myself. Other exercises have kept my (already abnormally muscular) legs shaped just fine. However, I have heard that they make butts magically appear. Hopefully that gets created in pill form or something.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    leg press is better
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Depends on what your goals are.

They're a solid compound movement, but unless you're a powerlifter they're not essential. I don't subscribe to the "bro" ethic that you have to squat no matter what.

Would agree when talking about squats as exercise. However, IMO the mobility/flexibility to squat (even bodyweight) pain free is life changing.

This is a good point. There are benefits to pushing out of our comfort zones. Squats have been a struggle for me from the beginning, and I'm currently on my 3rd complete reset where I've stripped the bar down to 135 and started all over again. The mobility and strength gains have definitely been worth the efforts.

why did you re-set ...not happy with form, trying to get more depth, all the above?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    No. They're a solid compound movement that are very effective at building strength, and they're one of the bigger tools in the toolbox. To ignore their benefits seems silly, but sure your goals may not involve them either.

pretty much this...
  • mysticwryter
    mysticwryter Posts: 111 Member
    Squats have been beneficial for me. I'm getting a natural butt lift, my hips are stronger and smaller, also my lower back is stronger and able to support me when I start adding more weight.