Stomach problems

Carnivorekat
Carnivorekat Posts: 370 Member
I have been suffering with pain in my abdomen after eating, my doctor thinks it is an issue in the duodenum and is possibly due to excess acid, and I have been prescribed Omeprazole again, I took it a couple of months ago and it did seem to help things, but this time I am still struggling - one of the things he has suggested is that I should reduce fat and increase fruit and veggies and also eat certain grains.

Obviously this goes against everything I have been hoping to achieve with my zero carb diet and wanted to see if anyone has overcome excess acid issues with a low carb eating plan. Also for those who follow a very low carb WOE have you managed to overcome stomach discomfort at all.

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited August 2016
    *kitten*, @kathrout1973.

Sorry to hear about your tummy pains. They can be completely debilitating, and I can understand your frustration.

I'm not well-versed in this area, but here are a few thoughts.....

There seem to be enormous variations in digestive responses to diet, which in turn could be attributable to any number of individual differences in such diverse variables as allergies, nutrient processing, body physics & chemistry, gut flora, hormones, inflammation, other coexisting conditions....

Omeprazole can be a wonder drug, but if you're going to recreate the same conditions that led to needing it in the first place, then it doesn't sound like a long-term solution, even if it does prove to be a temporary fix.

Perhaps a strict elimination protocol might be the way to try to figure out how you can construct a ketogenic diet that works for you. I have no idea just what to suggest, though.

If your insurance company is cooperative, and you can identify a good gastroenterologist within a reasonable hike, that's probably where I would start. (FYI, I learned while caring for my dad with stomach cancer that GI oncologists can be quite skillful at recommending dietary approaches for delicate systems.)

Good nutritionists who know their way around your scenario could be great resources - but will probably be next to impossible to find. But if you have any leads....

Keep us posted, eh?

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited August 2016
    I experienced an episode of severe gut pain after about 3 days of very low carbs (under 20g/day) last week... my doctor's theory was that I was not eating enough carbs for proper bowel function,and I was instructed to eat 60g+/day for 3-4 days to test it. It worked, I think, now I'm down to 30g/day again for the past 3 days to see if I can manage on that intake without the pain returning.

Lending credence to the theory: I was just listening to a podcast this morning actually, Jimmy Moore was interviewing Paul Jaminet for his [Jimmy's] book Cholesterol Clarity - one of the things Paul mentioned was that eating TOO low of carbs can, for some people, cause nutrient deficiencies - things like iodine, important for thyroid function; copper & zinc, which are important for making a particular antioxidant; but when people on low carb diets restrict food groups too severely then you're missing a whole class of nutrients that we need (both from animal sources - like liver, kidneys - and from vegetables). This in turn can affect your guts: carbohydrates are important for making extracellular matrix, for making mucus (as @baconslave knows!) and other immune barriers which keep the intestinal barrier sound. If you're "starving yourself of carbohydrates" he says, your body may not maintain the intestinal barrier as well as it should, which can lead to endotoxicity (leaky gut) and, pain.

It's the Livin' La Vida Low Carb Show Episode 721, starts around 33:00. I'll see if I can find a link...

http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes/8551/721-cholesterol-clarity-interview-with-perfect-health-diet-author-paul-jaminet/
  • ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Just an idea here. But you would think that there is some kind of option/treatment out there for people who just cannot handle carbs with the same issues!

I'd start researching celiac disease with leaky guy or acid indigestion.

I'd also look into LC options to full carb options to resolve the issues as well.

One last thought. I know from experience with my daughter who also takes the same medication. She has gerd in like a reverse direction. Instead of heart burn etc, he's symptoms run the opposite direction resulting in an acid dump. Very painful for her. Anyways, to the point they at one point put her on a strict no fresh vegetables regimen! She needed to increase her consumption of vegetables BUT she could only eat them in a canned form! Apparently canned fruits and vegetables go through your system partially digested before going in your mouth! Crazy right? But it worked! I'm using the non medical description here. It's the super simplified explanation given to my daughter who was 5 or 6 at the time!

Good luck!! Keep us updated on how things go for you!
  • Carnivorekat
    Thank you so much everyone - I knew I would find a supportive group here - I am lucky to be in the UK so don't have the issues of needing insurance, think I will go back to the doctor and ask to be referred to a gastroenterologist and see what they suggest, I have decided to up my carbs for a while to see if it helps, I loved the way ZC felt to begin with, but couldn't stick to it fully, and the pain just started to increase, so will definitely look into all solutions and find what works best for me _ I am going to keep a journal and see if there are any things that cause worse problems
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    bentonite will help with excess acid
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    @auntstephie321 might have some insight here, too. It really depends on where your pain is located. Hers was abdominally, i.e., not the stomach, more likely the intestines. She helped with it by adding probiotics, digestive enzymes (primarily helps the intestine/nutrient breakdown), and the ACV to help balance stomach acid - but this used strategically... To me, if they're wanting to put you on an acid reducer, this tells me your body is likely missing one key acid and therefore overproducing the others.

Having no gallbladder, this year so far has been a mass adventure in figuring out gut health and bathroom drama situations... Good luck, but personally, I would not go on an acid reducer until I'd explored all other options.
  • clawson91
    clawson91 Posts: 106 Member
    I take HCL digestive enzymes (2) and magnesium before each meal. Helps with so many tummy troubles!!
  • Carnivorekat
    Thank you so much everyone - I am going to try alternatives I think, was worried about taking the cider vinegar if I was having acid problems, but might give the probiotics a try and the digestive enzymes too - I don't want to be on meds at all and if I can solve it without the meds I would prefer to do that.

My pain is just under the left rib cage and radiates through to the back, I also sometimes get pain at the base of the sternum when the pain is strongest - he has started me on 20mg of omeprazole, I responded well to begin with, then had a months break from the omeprazole and was tested for H.pylori bacteria which came back negative and the pain came back with a vengeance, so the doctor prescribed omeprazole again 20mg for a month as it had helped before and said that if it didn't calm down then the next step would be a camera down the throat to see where the inflammation was, he has put the omeprazole on repeat prescription at 10mg but I am going to have to back and see him to take things further and check things out more.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited August 2016
    Thank you so much everyone - I am going to try alternatives I think, was worried about taking the cider vinegar if I was having acid problems, but might give the probiotics a try and the digestive enzymes too - I don't want to be on meds at all and if I can solve it without the meds I would prefer to do that.

My pain is just under the left rib cage and radiates through to the back, I also sometimes get pain at the base of the sternum when the pain is strongest - he has started me on 20mg of omeprazole, I responded well to begin with, then had a months break from the omeprazole and was tested for H.pylori bacteria which came back negative and the pain came back with a vengeance, so the doctor prescribed omeprazole again 20mg for a month as it had helped before and said that if it didn't calm down then the next step would be a camera down the throat to see where the inflammation was, he has put the omeprazole on repeat prescription at 10mg but I am going to have to back and see him to take things further and check things out more.

Do you still have a gall bladder? Sounds like gall stones felt for me.
    Pain was aweful. Felt like I couldn't inhale all the way and I couldn't stand up straight when it would happen.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    @Sunny_Bunny_ Gallbladder pain is under the left rib cage too? I thought it was the right. Bummer.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    I get terrible pains from upper to lower stomach and radiating around to my back whenever I eat any cruciferous veggies. I will be doubled over with the most horrible gas pains imagined. I have to take peppermint oil to get the trapped gas moving through my system and usually have to lie down on my right side in a fetal position and massage my belly and sides. Onions and garlic do the same. Really all fiber. I do much better with just meat and a little cheese. Egg whites hurt to and make me nauseated. I hope you start to feel better what ever you decide to do.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    edited August 2016
    kpk54 wrote: »
    @Sunny_Bunny_ Gallbladder pain is under the left rib cage too? I thought it was the right. Bummer.

I felt mine mostly center as I recall but slightly left and definitely felt it in my back and it makes sense that it's right after eating.
    The weird thing is that if you've been low carb for a while, why is it happening now?
    I know Adam Nally says suddenly having gall bladder issues after being low carb without having any before, usually corresponds to a high carb food (cheat level) of some sort. Don't know if that puzzle piece fits your situation.
    I had the pain for a couple years before it was finally diagnosed. I was given meds for stomach acid before they figured out it was gall stones. But I was also 16 when I had mine out, so they didn't suspect it at all. They literally dismissed that all my symptoms fit simply because I was so young.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    dmariet116 wrote: »
    I get terrible pains from upper to lower stomach and radiating around to my back whenever I eat any cruciferous veggies. I will be doubled over with the most horrible gas pains imagined. I have to take peppermint oil to get the trapped gas moving through my system and usually have to lie down on my right side in a fetal position and massage my belly and sides. Onions and garlic do the same. Really all fiber. I do much better with just meat and a little cheese. Egg whites hurt to and make me nauseated. I hope you start to feel better what ever you decide to do.

Yep this is me too it's excruciating
  • anewlifeat40
    anewlifeat40 Posts: 179 Member
    I get that kind of pain from food allergies. I recently was having major digestive issues, lots of pain, constipation, cramping, bloating, etc... Basically an imodium advertisement... I cut out nuts and voila! No more pain... Turns out I'm quite allergic to almonds. The last time I had pain like this for months it turned out to be something I was eating at work that had soy milk in it (very allergic to soy too). I seriously thought I had gallstones or something but all the tests came back negative... Checked ingredients on something on a whim and there it was... Such a pain...
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member

That's where my gallbladder attack pains were in '98 before I had it removed. Last year, I had 2 phantom gall bladder attacks (on SAD),which raised my liver enzymes. My endo had no explanation.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Aquawave wrote: »

That's where my gallbladder attack pains were in '98 before I had it removed. Last year, I had 2 phantom gall bladder attacks (on SAD),which raised my liver enzymes. My endo had no explanation.

I used to have phantom attacks several times a year prior to going Keto. Haven't had one since before eating this way and it's been since may 2015.
    I was told to expect phantom attacks for a few years after mine was removed, but I still got them 20+ years later! Until I cut carbs :smile:
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member

@kpk54 - mine was just right of my spine, but it can be either side. Passing stones for me was painful enough I actually went to the doctor worried I was having a heart attack...I was passing them while pregnant, "No, @knit, that is just heartburn..." YEAH RIGHT!?!?!?!?! Ugh. Had it removed when my kiddo was 7 weeks old, and would not recommend it to anyone at all ever unless theirs GB is poisoned and dying, when so many options with eating this way to treat it... My complications have been HADES on wheels... The pain at it's worst required 2 vicodin and a heating pad in the dark for at least 2 hours. Not fun with a breastfeeding newborn (yeah, tried not to feed her within 4 hours of meds, as I metabolized them pretty quickly)...