Weight loss questions

2»

Replies

• wxqas7
    wxqas7 Posts: 11 Member
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Watch out for mercury poisoning. Tuna is a once a week fish.

30 g of protein a day isn't enough. You should probably be having 187 g a day at least. (0.8*body weight in lbs). That 750 calories in protein alone. Then you need fat and carbs too.

187g???? Wow. That's an insane amount. How do I do that?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited August 2016
    wxqas7 wrote: »

30 g of protein a day isn't enough. You should probably be having 187 g a day at least. (0.8*body weight in lbs). That 750 calories in protein alone. Then you need fat and carbs too.

Ummm. Good question. I've never had to get up quite that much myself, since I'm smaller so I only need around 110 plus (and female). So... I suggest a big chunk of meat/fish with every meal. Plus dairy, legumes, eggs, and nuts... and maybe a protein powder if you're still having trouble. I'd also recommend having 3 meals a day to help out with you getting in more calories. No need to skip them.

Oh and to clarify, you should still be able to lose weight effectively while eating 1800 calories a day.

And I'm really not kidding about watching out for mercury poisoning. Try making meals that use ground meat like beef, chicken, turkey, lamb, pork, etc. Those are very easy meats to cook. Put them in the frying pan and push them around with a lifter until all the pink is gone and it's cooked all the way through!

I also found cooking chicken breast in the oven in foil was easy. Take a chicken breast, season it with what you like (I like Cajun mix), wrap it loosely in foil, place on a cookie sheet, and bake at 350°F for about 25-40 minutes (small (200 g) chicken breast = 25-30 mins, large (300+ g) = 40 min). Cut into it to see if it looks like you could shred it and that the pink is gone (you can always put it back in the oven if it's not done). You can do many at a time. If you put a tin foil sheet on a cookie sheet, then line the chicken up, and put another tin foil piece on top. Fold the edges of the foil together to create a seal. Watch out for steam when you open it up.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I'm in awe that you are capable of typing - if you are indeed eating what you are saying. Yes, it's that bad, I'll just let Woody Allen say it for me - the food is really terrible, and such small portions.

Which food is specifically wrong for me?

That's not it. You are eating too few calories overall. You are getting too little protein and fat and fiber. You are getting too little variety. Aren't you hungry? You said you are obese - you didn't get obese by eating 1000 calories per day. Eat enough food, good food, food you like, every day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    sllm1 wrote: »
    That doesn't look like much food for a 21yo male. How many cals?

Breakfast: 200kcals
    Smoothie: 250kcals
    Dinner: 350kcals

Snacks: 150-200kcals

It's probably just over 1000 but I feel completely full at the end of the day, and have been for the past 6 weeks. I also have a cheat day on a Saturday (donner kebab 1000 calories!)

You're wanting to lose muscle are you?

What am I doing wrong?

Starving yourself
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member

You don't need that much. That's ridiculous. I think a common equation used to figure protein is .9 grams per pound of lean body mass.

My personal dietician recommended that I just take my height in inches and 8 gram per inch. I am 71 inches tall therefore I should get 71 grams of protein
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member

You don't need that much. That's ridiculous. I think a common equation used to figure protein is .9 grams per pound of lean body mass.

My personal dietician recommended that I just take my height in inches and 8 gram per inch. I am 71 inches tall therefore I should get 71 grams of protein

wouldn't 8 grams per inch be more like 500+ ?????? that is crazy too!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Eat more and add veggies in.
  • TavistockToad

if you're 71 inches getting 71g of protein that's 1g per inch not 8?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited August 2016

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

I got my recommendation from there. That's assuming 1 g of protein per lb of an assumed lean body mass. Usually higher protein is recommended for men (especially when they're still growing, he's 21) which is why I picked 1 g. I assumed a 20% body fat.

However, if he wants to do 0.8 g per lean body mass and if his body fat is more like 35% instead of 20%, then perhaps as low as 122 g of protein a day. But definitely more than 1 g per inch height a day (at most if he's tall 77 g?). And WAY more than 30 g a day.
  • blk0110k
    blk0110k Posts: 39 Member
    I love hot sauce in tuna... and on my roasted potatoes... and omlets. mmmmm
  • sky_northern
    sky_northern Posts: 119 Member
    sebedina wrote: »
    Yeah it doesn't sound like much food at all. Maybe add more protein so you don't get hungry. Tinned salmon is nice too. How many calories are you eating?

I have Young's Salmon pieces at least once a week too. The thing is, at the end of the day, I'm full. Anything extra and I'm stuffing myself aren't I? And I think it works out at just over 1000kcals.

An easy change would be start eating full fat yogurt, greek yogurt would be best for the extra protein. More calories and you look like you need some fat in your diet. Eating fat doesn't make you fat and fat is needed by your body.
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    Why did you ask for opinions and help on your diet when you clearly are not interested in changing what you're doing? You're arguing against every response and advice given to you.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Add nuts, nut butter, avocados, full fat dairy for more calories and protein, plus healthy fat. 1000 calories is not enough food to sustain your bodily functions--your body will begin to take it from your muscle if you maintain this type of caloric deficit overtime. You won't be getting the micro-nutrients (vitamins and minerals) you need. But if you want to keep starving yourself, clearly we can't stop you.

But I hope everyone saying you need to eat more will sink in and you'll begin to take better care of yourself.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    You are presently attempting to lose more than 1% of your body weight each week. The smaller you get, the worse that harms you. Please adjust your mfp goal to lose 1.5 lb per week and stay close to your daily calorie target net of exercise
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Why did you ask for opinions and help on your diet when you clearly are not interested in changing what you're doing? You're arguing against every response and advice given to you.

because ... special snowflakes and easy solutions and *kitten* ...
  • TavistockToad
    edited August 2016

He's a 21 year old lad, he knows best.... :laugh: