What happens when you incorporate weight lifting/resistance training but in a calorie deficit?

What happens when you incorporate weight lifting/resistance training 4-5 days/week but in a calorie deficit?

I am curious because I still have weight to lose but enjoy my exercise routine. I do 2 days of cardio/week in addition to weight lifting/resistance training.

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    you lose weight
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited August 2016
    Much the same as when you are maintaining weight or in a surplus - just the results will be slower, performance may be impacted and recovery not so good.

You will get sore at first, you may see a temporary blip upwards in weight (water retention from the soreness), then you will get stronger and if you are lucky and not in a large deficit you may add a little muscle slowly over an extended period of time.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    You will likely become stronger and experience less muscle loss.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    You hopefully continue to lose weight, while maintaining muscle. When we eat at a deficit and lose weight we lose water, fat, and muscle. Lifting in that deficit helps to maintain the muscle so most of our weight loss comes from fat and water.

In doing so, the scale may not move as fast as it did before but you'll notice you're losing inches faster. You'll also notice that you will become more defined as you strip away the fat covering the muscle you're maintaining.

In addition to this, you will also hopefully see gains in strength as you progress your lifting.
  • mrmeza123
    mrmeza123 Posts: 34 Member
    Try and stay near the goal. If you are creating a deficit, make another goal. The calories will get smaller.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    honestly, it sounds like a good plan. You will lose fat, retain more muscle mass, and be a lot more athletic looking than someone that just diets and does cardio. You just can't expect to gain muscle or increase strength much.

I do a mix of strength and cardio on a small deficit while cutting and I can keep my lean muscle mass up.
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    I've been weight lifting from the beginning of staying in deficit. I'm stronger, I have some muscle definition now, and I feel like a million bucks.
  • chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    It's exactly what I am doing and people on here have ripped me because of it. "you don't lose muscle when you lose weight" a couple of droidobot's insisted. You won't necessarily see gains but it helps target the fat. As your body fat % drops your muscles will become more defined and visible
  • keelsmarks
    keelsmarks Posts: 7 Member
    This is me and I'm much more defined and look a lot better. I'm stronger and faster as well, so that's a plus. Just make sure the calories you eat are good ones and you get enough protein. I eat lots of meat and veggies and feel pretty great all around. I wouldn't say the scale is moving a whole lot, but I'm not too worried as my clothes fit better.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    You'll get hyooooge!

Okay, not really. You'll just lose more fat and less muscle and end up with better curves
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    black hole
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    jax_006 wrote: »
    What happens when you incorporate weight lifting/resistance training 4-5 days/week but in a calorie deficit?

I am curious because I still have weight to lose but enjoy my exercise routine. I do 2 days of cardio/week in addition to weight lifting/resistance training.

I've been lifting in a calorie deficit for many months and have lost 86 lbs but have increased my strength and given myself a better body composition than cardio alone could ever have given me. I've seen the cardio only people in the gym - it's not a look I aspire to. Flabby skinny doesn't appeal to me. I want to look FIT when I'm at my goal weight. I want to feel strong and capable. But that's just me.