Stalled after just 2 weeks. HELP

Replies

• SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    edited August 2016
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    well, youre constipated cause your diet sucks. #sorrynotsorry

theres no fresh fruit or veg, a whole lotta processed crap, and inaccurate weights and logging.

forget where the freezer aisle is, go to the fresh meat, deli and produce sections, and buy real food.

Because of the inaccurate weights, I would also wager you are eating more than you think you are. Add that in with the literal s.hit stuck inside you, there's your weight.

I agree with all this except for the bold parts. Food type has nothing to with weight loss.

I don't think they were saying her crap diet is preventing fat loss. But that her crap diet is causing her constipation and she should sort that out.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    well, youre constipated cause your diet sucks. #sorrynotsorry

theres no fresh fruit or veg, a whole lotta processed crap, and inaccurate weights and logging.

forget where the freezer aisle is, go to the fresh meat, deli and produce sections, and buy real food.

Because of the inaccurate weights, I would also wager you are eating more than you think you are. Add that in with the literal s.hit stuck inside you, there's your weight.

I agree with all this except for the bold parts. Food type has nothing to with weight loss.

I don't think they were saying her crap diet is preventing fat loss. But that her crap diet is causing her constipation.

ding ding ding and we have a winner ;)
  • PamWOhio
    PamWOhio Posts: 120 Member
    Ok...I realize I have crap in my food diary but look back...it isn't all crap. I am eating extremely lean beef, freshly ground turkey, and a LOT Less processed freezer stuff than I used to. I used to LIVE on everything processed and fast food. I do realize I have to incorporate healthier food in there but compared to the way I used to eat, what I have been doing is a HUGE improvement for me. Thank you all for your help and I the flowchart was very helpful.

I also agree that YES...I am being impatient. Unfortunately that isn't a new character flaw with me. That has always been one of my downfalls. I was brought up a meat and potatoes girl so I incorporating the fruits and veggies is harder than a lot would think. I need to spread my wings and try some more. I know some I do hate but there are plenty that I have never tried so will try that. I had no problem "going" when I was eating more fat...it was bad fat but fat nonetheless. The leaner meats which I NEVER ate before was the biggest change in my diet. Yes, I love my deli cheese and I do like my sour cream on my potatoes but I have not been overdoing it.
  • jolybac
    jolybac Posts: 130 Member
    Are you constipated, or do you just have a slow digestive transit time? It might be both (slow transit can lead to constipation). If both, take something like miralax for a few days (to soften things up, helps keep water in the intestines), then up your insoluble fiber (metamucil is soluble, needed, but only keeps it soft, doesn't encourage the intestines to move things along and can actually reduce transit time). Insoluble fiber will improve transit time. And really up your fat intake (I never even worry about bad vs good, just get it from real foods - butter, olive oil, nuts, avocados, etc).

As one who suffers from very slow digestive transit, yes, it can appear as a stall. But like above, weight loss isn't linear, so don't get discouraged!
  • PamWOhio
    It could be slow, jolybac but I have IBS D and before I started all this, I was running to the toilet a dozen times a day with NON solid results. Eating anything would set it off within a couple minutes of being done. That is why this is so weird. I will try your suggestions.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    PamWOhio wrote: »
    Ok...I realize I have crap in my food diary but look back...it isn't all crap. I am eating extremely lean beef, freshly ground turkey, and a LOT Less processed freezer stuff than I used to. I used to LIVE on everything processed and fast food. I do realize I have to incorporate healthier food in there but compared to the way I used to eat, what I have been doing is a HUGE improvement for me. Thank you all for your help and I the flowchart was very helpful.

I also agree that YES...I am being impatient. Unfortunately that isn't a new character flaw with me. That has always been one of my downfalls. I was brought up a meat and potatoes girl so I incorporating the fruits and veggies is harder than a lot would think. I need to spread my wings and try some more. I know some I do hate but there are plenty that I have never tried so will try that. I had no problem "going" when I was eating more fat...it was bad fat but fat nonetheless. The leaner meats which I NEVER ate before was the biggest change in my diet. Yes, I love my deli cheese and I do like my sour cream on my potatoes but I have not been overdoing it.

Try adding some high fiber foods with butter or olive oil:

http://greatist.com/health/surprising-high-fiber-foods

6159be22ee2e68d3c21cb357e47d77e0.png

Also, where are you in your menstrual cycle? I gain at ovulation and right before my TOM. Because of this (and because Lyle McDonald said to) I compare myself to last month, not last week.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    What others said about the science of weight loss.

You are not eying 1000 calories because you are not losing weight.

Stop the Metamucil and eat fiber.

Get some professional help because it sounds like you have some disordered thoughts and behaviors.

If I read the original post correctly, the OP is EXTREMELY frustrated after not having lost weight in the last TWO DAYS. I don't think we can say this is a case of "not losing weight."

• PamWOhio
    I guess since I lost 10lbs in the first 2 weeks it was weird to totally stall for Sun thru Wednesday. I am new to all of this so learning as much as I can. kshama, I started this right at my TOM 2 and a half weeks ago and I am at ovulation time in the past couple days.

I realize I sound pretty damn stupid to a lot of you and I am sorry for that but I really am trying to learn so I can avoid any huge mistakes that will cause more harm than good. I have been completely sedentary for 6 years so at first I had a hard time even walking fast for 5 minutes. I have been able to double that and triple it a few times a week which, for me, is good. I know my food choices still have a long way to go.
  • kshama2001
    I guess since I lost 10lbs in the first 2 weeks it was weird to totally stall for Sun thru Wednesday. I am new to all of this so learning as much as I can. kshama, I started this right at my TOM 2 and a half weeks ago and I am at ovulation time in the past couple days.

I realize I sound pretty damn stupid to a lot of you and I am sorry for that but I really am trying to learn so I can avoid any huge mistakes that will cause more harm than good. I have been completely sedentary for 6 years so at first I had a hard time even walking fast for 5 minutes. I have been able to double that and triple it a few times a week which, for me, is good. I know my food choices still have a long way to go.

Well, now you know fluctuations are normal and constipation and menstrual cycles can contribute to them :)

Great job with the walking! Do listen to your body and don't push too hard - you'll get there.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member

Most of that 10lbs was likely water weight due to changing up your diet and eating in a deficit. Don't expect that to continue.

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    As for fat in the diet, it is an important nutritional factor, not just for constipation but also for nutrient absorption such as Vit A, D, E, and K. Another factor with constipation is that if you are taking in less, there will be less waste.
  • kshama2001
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    You are eating too little. Eating too little puts a good amount of stress on the body. Do not let the title below let you think that it is what it is in the title. This explains what happens when a person does eat too little when trying to loose weight. And although your situtation is only two weeks, I hope you do not continue eating like this for another two weeks or month, etc.

edited to add: and your situation is not "starvation".

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/another-look-at-metabolic-damage.html/

Good "Metabolic Damage" article.

Highlights:

We know that cortisol causes water retention
    1. Now, dieting raises cortisol.
    2. Cardio raises cortisol.
    3. Mental stress raises cortisol.

...for the most part I think that’s a lot of what’s going on the fat loss is just being masked by severe water retention. I say this simply because getting folks to rest a couple of days, raise calories (especially from carbs, the increase in insulin lowers cortisol levels) and “refeed” invariably causes that big weight drop/whoosh effect. It has to be water.
  • PamWOhio
    You all have been great. I just feel like crap because there is so much information and I have read through many many discussion threads on MFP and just when I think I have a handle on stuff, I find conflicting info and both sides always sound so sure of themselves. I never used to drink plain water...I used my soda stream and made the cola and pretty much lived on that. Since I started, I only allow myself a fraction of the cola and have been drinking a lot (for me) more plain water or I fizz it and add some MIO. I always feel extremely bloated by mid day. Also, I have only taken 1 day off from my walking. Although I was only doing 1 mile and a half or 2 miles a day, it sure seems like a lot to me and my calves pretty much have been sore the whole time. I dealt with shin splints the first week but those have since stopped.

Anyway, I really do appreciate all the advice and help. This is just the beginning of my journey so I think I am just going to stay off the scale and do my best and keep trying to make improvements. I NEVER in a million years would have thought someone would tell me I wasn't eating enough......lol
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    You all have been great. I just feel like crap because there is so much information and I have read through many many discussion threads on MFP and just when I think I have a handle on stuff, I find conflicting info and both sides always sound so sure of themselves. I never used to drink plain water...I used my soda stream and made the cola and pretty much lived on that. Since I started, I only allow myself a fraction of the cola and have been drinking a lot (for me) more plain water or I fizz it and add some MIO. I always feel extremely bloated by mid day. Also, I have only taken 1 day off from my walking. Although I was only doing 1 mile and a half or 2 miles a day, it sure seems like a lot to me and my calves pretty much have been sore the whole time. I dealt with shin splints the first week but those have since stopped.

Anyway, I really do appreciate all the advice and help. This is just the beginning of my journey so I think I am just going to stay off the scale and do my best and keep trying to make improvements. I NEVER in a million years would have thought someone would tell me I wasn't eating enough......lol

I did a lot of lurking when I first joined and while there was an overload of information and conflicting advice, I kept reading and paid attention to who has been around for awhile and gives sensible advice. It helped cut through a lot of the bad info that I have seen come and go. Reading the posts in the 'Most Helpful' announcements on here and the Getting Started forum helped as well.

Don't feel stupid for asking questions. A lot of us had to unlearn bad info and learn new things when we first started.
  • pdm3547
    pdm3547 Posts: 1,057 Member
    ^^^ THIS!

Take baby steps. Calories in less than calories out. Simple as that. Eat less, move more. It's easy

Then you can find what works for you in terms of eating, macros, lifting, cardio.... it goes on and on and on.

But take one step at a time. CICO first.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    If you're beginning to walk, that's great and will help a little with the constipation. Diet wise, you need to consume a lot more fibre - don't chuck the tiny bit of lettuce out of your burger, for example and switch to brown baps. Eat jacket potatoes or baby new potatoes boiled or roasted with their skin still on. If peas are the only veg you like, have them more often. My husband likes to snack on peas fresh from their pods!

And water/clear drinks - drink a lot of them.