What food/Restaurant makes you feel...blah?

Replies

• stephaniej2888
    stephaniej2888 Posts: 93 Member
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    Huh. There are restaurants I don't care for, and foods/ingredients that don't agree with me or make me feel extra bloated or whatever, but I can't think of a single restaurant where the food from there makes me feel sick when comparable foods from another restaurant wouldn't. That seems really odd to me.

I can make shrimp, chicken, Mac n cheese and green beans at home or eat them out at quite a few restraints with no issues, but from there I always feel sick the next day. And no I don't over eat just because it's a buffet lol I honestly didn't eat much at all
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Oh Rita's. I had some custard last year... spent 2 hours in the bathroom after. Never again.
  • hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    Huh. There are restaurants I don't care for, and foods/ingredients that don't agree with me or make me feel extra bloated or whatever, but I can't think of a single restaurant where the food from there makes me feel sick when comparable foods from another restaurant wouldn't. That seems really odd to me.

I'm the same as you. I'm not saying I doubt what people are saying. I'm sure it's real for them. I just can't understand what makes a meal prepared at place A different from the same meal prepared at place B or at home.

A lot of the places people have mentioned... I've eaten at and had no problems - except for occassionally overeating. I seldom go to buffets because, even when I only intend to eat a little tiny bit of the things I like, I end up blowing through my calories for the day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Pretty much any franchise chain...even the "high end" ones seem to be sub-standard fare to me. For the same price I can go to a local restaurant that is using fresher, higher quality ingredients and making incredible meals, not to mention an overall wonderful dining experience.

What about Ruth's Chris? The Palm? Smith & Wollensky's? Season's 52 isn't bad either for middle of the road dining.

The only one of those we have in town are a Ruth's Chris that just recently opened...we may try it, but it's on the other side of town so we're looking at a good 60 minute round trip...it'll have some good stiff competition with some great local steak houses. In general I also like to support local whenever possible.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    I'll feel "blah" at any restaurant if I over eat. If I keep my portions in check, I feel fine after eating anywhere.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Pretty much any franchise chain...even the "high end" ones seem to be sub-standard fare to me. For the same price I can go to a local restaurant that is using fresher, higher quality ingredients and making incredible meals, not to mention an overall wonderful dining experience.

What about Ruth's Chris? The Palm? Smith & Wollensky's? Season's 52 isn't bad either for middle of the road dining.

The only one of those we have in town are a Ruth's Chris that just recently opened...we may try it, but it's on the other side of town so we're looking at a good 60 minute round trip...it'll have some good stiff competition with some great local steak houses. In general I also like to support local whenever possible.

Try it out sometime. Their steaks are really good.
  • Carriehelene
    Carriehelene Posts: 178 Member
    Bxqtie116 wrote: »
    I'm like that with McDonalds. It's not that I don't like their food, it's just that whenever I eat it, I'm running to the bathroom 30 minutes later. Although I love Big Macs, I haven't had one in 1 1/2 years. When my son gets their food, as soon as he takes the food out the bag, I can smell the grease and it makes my stomach turn.

X2
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member

Mmmmmmm lots of good times at the Smith & Wollensky's outdoor bar in South Beach. Best Captain & Coke in South Florida!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    You couldn't pay me to eat at McDonalds or KFC.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    I feel gross after eating some foods made with flour, especially things like traditional birthday cake with frosting. Last time this came from a good quality bakery.
  • hjlourenshj
    hjlourenshj Posts: 66 Member
    Sadly for me its red meat except when its a processed version and oranges. Both make me sick for a few hours
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Dunno if there's any restaurant I really would feel sick after eating, apart from one really crappy Italian place I went to in Florida where my whole family and I ended up getting terrible food poisoning afterwards.

Except for actual foodborne illness, I certainly don't LIKE a lot of restaurants. I can't understand why my circle of friends actually voluntarily want to eat at Denny's, for example, but while I find the food thoroughly mediocre, I don't feel bad afterwards, just unsatisfied.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Ok so I haven't really completely cut anything out of my eating, I'm just eating smaller portions that fit into my daily allowance if I want something.
    I am not a fan (at all!) Of Golden Coral.....I think the food there is nasty to be honest, but my husband and son wanted to go last night for dinner...so we went.

I ate a few popcorn shrimp, rotisserie chicken, green beans and a little Mac n cheese.....and I woke up feeling bloated and just all around gross even though I stayed in my daily calorie/fat/carb/etc.
    I haven't felt like that from any other place.

What place or food makes you feel gross the next day?

lol I like Golden Corral, but that's because I'm Canadian and only go once or twice a year when I go to the USA. My kids go ape *kitten* over the cotton candy and the chocolate fountain...you just don't see things like that at restaurants here.

The only food place that made me feel gross afterwards was shu sha ya, it was sushi place that has closed down. That place was terrible, they used way too much grease. I went there because it was a popular spot with my friends and it was cheap....ugh stupid I know.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    edited August 2016
    The only buffet I have even been to that I loved was the one at the Wynn Hotel in Vegas. Everything tasted so good! [/end quote]

100% agree! AMAZING! We had brunch with unlimited mimosas and everything was fresh fresh fresh and DELICIOUS.
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Gosh looks like the Chinese buffet is not that great in the US :o I live in Hong Kong and these pics are from the 2 buffet places I go to often (probably too often lol!).

9hwr0y4g32ot.jpg
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited August 2016
    narak_lol wrote: »
    Gosh looks like the Chinese buffet is not that great in the US :o I live in Hong Kong and these pics are from the 2 buffet places I go to often (probably too often lol!).

9hwr0y4g32ot.jpg

In NY and San Francisco they're great. Not so much elsewhere because the Chinese immigrants adjusted their recipes decades ago to appeal to US tastes of that time. Hong Kong is great though I was surprised by the dim sum.
  • biggafadda
    biggafadda Posts: 23 Member
    McDonalds just makes me sad, and sick.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Ok so I haven't really completely cut anything out of my eating, I'm just eating smaller portions that fit into my daily allowance if I want something.
    I am not a fan (at all!) Of Golden Coral.....I think the food there is nasty to be honest, but my husband and son wanted to go last night for dinner...so we went.

I ate a few popcorn shrimp, rotisserie chicken, green beans and a little Mac n cheese.....and I woke up feeling bloated and just all around gross even though I stayed in my daily calorie/fat/carb/etc.
    I haven't felt like that from any other place.

What place or food makes you feel gross the next day?

None. I am a pretty picky eater, so I don't eat at places I don't like whether or not someone else wants to eat there.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    I don't really identify with this too much, although the likes of McDonald's does leave me peckish it doesn't make me feel bad. I tend to avoid McDonald's specifically just because they make everything so bland. Burger King is better, but a decent pub burger is best of all. McDonald's ice cream is good, though.

The only thing that actually upsets my stomach is anything with a big fat and chilli combo, so the type of rich North Indian food you get in restaurants will have a fallout for me. I still eat it, though! Too good not to.

I love Chinese buffets!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    I haven't felt satisfied with a microwave meal in years. They never come out heated well and just look sad in their little trays.