Car Question

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited August 2016
    Selling people the concept that a car is an expression of their personality was one of the motor industries smartest moves* - they took a tool, more complex but no less a tool than a hammer or a computer, and coaxed us to apply emotions and personality values to it. When customers are moved into this area, suppliers can charge more. And, critically suppliers can then dictate the terms on which they can generate interest and market advantage (rather than the hard-nosed factual information about the performance of the car for example).

Ultimately this has a negative affect on the consumer since promoting the image of cool/smart/sexy/macho/capable/rugged/efficient is cheaper than making products which are actually cool/smart/sexy/macho/capable/rugged/efficient.

If you buy into the concept of cars for "real men", congratulations - you've bought into this concept hook line and sinker.

*and one that other manufacturers have done also - mobile phones being another fairly recent one. In their early days they were seen as a tool to get a job done but when the phone companies started to market them as fashion accessories with replaceable covers (remember those) the sales rocketed (and consumers 1st started upgrading their phones on a 12-24 month basis even when the old phones were still pretty close in spec to the new (I'm talking early 90's here before the smartphone))
  • Damien_K
    Damien_K Posts: 783 Member
    Bite the bullet and get yourself a sports car mate

m5zt3163n5qc.jpg
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    5) I can sneak up on my victims without them ever hearing me

I was thinking that too. From the show "Weeds"

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Damien_K wrote: »
    Bite the bullet and get yourself a sports car mate

m5zt3163n5qc.jpg

That is beautiful.

And I hesitate to point this out ..... But I hope you got a screaming deal on that sled; it appears to be defective.

Somebody, somehow placed the steering wheel on the wrong side of the dashboard.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I'm a woman and couldn't care less about what car men drive, lol.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    When I buy a car, I buy it based on what I need. I don't care what others think.
  • JeffreyMGiron
    JeffreyMGiron Posts: 3,582 Member
    Buy yourself something you will enjoy driving to work and back....especially if youre gonna be stuck in traffic.
  • Tsartele
    Tsartele Posts: 683 Member
    Buy yourself something you will enjoy driving to work and back....especially if youre gonna be stuck in traffic.

You have a BRZ dont you ?? I'm really interested in those.. Next spring I will be in the market.
  • scorpjabo
    scorpjabo Posts: 11 Member
    How about the Fusion Hybrid, decent looking and get's almost 40 mpg. Tint the windows and maybe some rims and keep the man card. Win win lol.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    If you get the Prius, you need to sing this song while you drive:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5vD4Ew7a4s
  • Tsartele
    Tsartele Posts: 683 Member
    If you want cheap dependable transportation that is 35+ MPG get a Honda.. You just can't beat a civic or accord!!!!
  • grannynot
    grannynot Posts: 146 Member
    How about a hybrid SUV?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    there are many hybrid cars out there. prius is just one of them
    frankly, my corolla is pretty sexy
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Get the Prius. Saving the earth AND gas money is super manly sexy.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Purchasing an expensive personally owned vehicle so that you can have diamond lane privileges is an expression of being perfectly willing to be "nudged", in the modern language of governmental coercion, to comply with the desires of others.

And what happens when too many people comply? The privilege becomes worthless.

It's Caesar's money. Do with it as Caesar wishes. Cat.
  • Motorsheen
    Purchasing an expensive personally owned vehicle so that you can have diamond lane privileges is an expression of being perfectly willing to be "nudged", in the modern language of governmental coercion, to comply with the desires of others.

And what happens when too many people comply? The privilege becomes worthless.

It's Caesar's money. Do with it as Caesar wishes. Cat.

Heck, I'm just looking to save some time.

Using the diamond lane would probably save 30 to 40 minutes of windshield time every day; that adds up.

I used the diamond lane yesterday because I had a passenger and it was great.

Maybe I should pick up a working girl every morning and simply drive her across town?

At the end of the day, pick her up again on the way home. She could earn her pay as we use the diamond lane.

She could make a buck and I could save time and fuel without the purchase of a hybrid.

Let's call it a win-win. Hopefully Caesar approves.....
  • Motorsheen
    Villae81 wrote: »
    vh0t20civldo.jpg

You're welcome

well.... she does have a purdy mouth
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    vh0t20civldo.jpg

You're welcome

well.... she does have a purdy mouth

While on the hov lane during rush hour? Win win for you

re5pext
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    It's a frigg'n car. Drive what you want.