Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is dairy good or bad?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    I mean is it really natural for human beings to drink the milk of another animal? Cows milk is designed for calves

Is it natural to be communicating via the written word on a world-wide computer network?

Is it natural to fly in aircraft, drive cars, or travel by ship?

Is it natural to drink purified water and shop in grocery stores?

Is it natural that so few women die in childbirth these days or that we save premature babies?

Is critical thinking natural?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I mean is it really natural for human beings to drink the milk of another animal? Cows milk is designed for calves

Nothing in the modern world is natural anymore.

If you want to live the natural way, find a cave to live in, light a fire and grow and hunt your own food.
    Where do we draw the line in what's natural v unnatural? ?

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member

If you want to live the natural way, find a cave to live in, light a fire and grow and hunt your own food.

I don't shave anymore. JK
  • Christine_72
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I don't shave anymore. JK

This is definitely a line i shall draw :tongue:
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

Is growing your food natural though?
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited August 2016
    I heard an interesting thing once about what is natural.

They guy I heard it from said that humans are natural, we are part of nature even if we don' live in the woods, (i.e. the whole being animals thing). So if humans are natural, then anything they do or make is natural. Although that doesn't mean it's always environmentally sound.

So yes, computers, airplanes, are all natural. Would you say an ant mound or bee hive isn't natural? The ants or bees built it so how is that different from humans building things?

So as far as milk not being natural to humans is concerned. That's not true. It might not be designed for human consumption, but what is designed for humans to eat?

I still don't like milk though. Mostly because I can't drink it, but also because I think the cheap stuff is horrible with added sugars, hormones and antibiotics. Milk may have been a good thing back in the day, when most people would of lived on farms and easily burned off the calories. But that's also true with alot of other foods.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    cee134 wrote: »

They guy said that humans are natural, we are part of nature even if we don' live in the woods, (i.e. the whole being animals thing). So if humans are natural, then anything they do or make is natural. It doesn't mean it's environmentally sound.

So yes, computers, airplanes, are all natural. Would you say an ant mound isn't natural? The ants built it so how is that different from humans building things.

Including milking cows :wink:
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member

What are the "natural foods", in your opinion? I have heard this argument before, and it sounds logical at first...and then I think "well, what are the natural foods for humans to eat?" I can really think of only one. We are opportunists, when you really think about it, and the only "natural food" for humans is breastmilk.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

They guy I heard it from said that humans are natural, we are part of nature even if we don' live in the woods, (i.e. the whole being animals thing). So if humans are natural, then anything they do or make is natural. Although that doesn't mean it's always environmentally sound.

So yes, computers, airplanes, are all natural. Would you say an ant mound or bee hive isn't natural? The ants or bees built it so how is that different from humans building things?

So as far as milk not being natural to humans is concerned. That's not true. It might not be designed for human consumption, but what is designed for humans to eat?

Yep, I agree with this.
    I still don't like milk though. Mostly because I can't drink it, but also because I think the cheap stuff is horrible with added sugars, hormones and antibiotics.

I don't drink milk, but I like it fine (it just isn't worth the calories to me). I get some of my dairy from local farms (I do like yogurt and cheese), and you can find all sorts of milk for reasonable prices, IME. Of course, even the cheapest supermarket milk doesn't have added sugars, or I've never seen non flavored milk that did. I think it's some weird myth.
    Milk may have been a good thing back in the day, when most people would of lived on farms and easily burned off the calories. But that's also true with alot of other foods.

And it's also true of milk today, for those who enjoy it. It's not especially high cal if you find the calories filling or otherwise worthwhile, and they aren't any harder to burn off than other calories. I've always found yogurt (or back in the day, milk+a banana) a great and non stomach bothering pre run breakfast, and easy if you are traveling for a race or something. I know not everyone finds milk/dairy as easy to digest as I do (I thank my ancestors for this), but claiming it's bad or not appropriate for today is going too far, IMO.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    A link to a relevant blog piece showed up in my email (link to Genetic Literacy Project sent by NutritionWonk):

https://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/2016/08/17/will-raw-organic-milk-reduce-inflammation/

"Going dairy-free is hot right now. Lactose intolerance, along with the rumors that dairy causes inflammation set the trend. Add to this illogical arguments against milk consumption—like milk being a food “meant” for calves, not humans, and you have people passionately avoiding it like the plague...."

[follow link for the rest]
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member

I still don't like milk though. Mostly because I can't drink it, but also because I think the cheap stuff is horrible with added sugars, hormones and antibiotics. Milk may have been a good thing back in the day, when most people would of lived on farms and easily burned off the calories. But that's also true with alot of other foods.

There are no added sugars, added hormones or added antibiotics in milk.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Dairy is highly processed and youd never get it in nature. It really has no place in the human diet. The calcium in it praised for bone growth and strength . Its too much calcium and it actually hurts bone health and contributes to osteoporosis. Plants have all the calcium and fat you need.

What is your idea of dairy??!! Milk comes from animals (usually cows), and all other dairy items are products of milk. I'm thinking that's nature somehow.
  • Christine_72

That Pete Evans is an embarrassment to my peoples. He's on the tv pretty regularly over here, and some of the stuff he comes out with is eye roll worthy to the max!!
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    It's for baby cows.