Genetics

healthy491
healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
edited August 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone :)! Hope you are all well ! So , my mum , my dad and my sister all store fat in their stomach and tummy mainly. I store it there too even though I dont have that much. I weight 49kg so I dont want to lose more weight , but is it possible for me to have a toned and good looking stomach? If so , how do I do it?

Replies

• RelevantGains
    RelevantGains Posts: 83 Member
    edited August 2016
    Yes. You are correct in that genetics have a lot to do with where you store excess fat, but the fact that you have excess fat is not genetic. That's something you can do something about. No one defies science, and no one is "immune" to losing fat. Sure, it's harder for some people than others, but everyone can do it.
  • healthy491
    Yes. You are correct in that genetics have a lot to do with where you store excess fat, but the fact that you have excess fat is not genetic. That's something you can do something about. No one defies science, and no one is "immune" to losing fat. Sure, it's harder for some people than others, but everyone can do it.

Phew , thats a relief ! Thank you :D !
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Your genes don't absorb calories from thin air. The quicker you drop the fat logic and take personal responsibility, the easier it will be to reach your goals.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    It's always possible. It will just require more work on your part. In my family we store fat in the stomach and hips... while I know some women who store it in their butt/thighs and don't have to work much to get a toned stomach.

I don't necessarily agree that it's just as easy as 'losing fat' though. You got to store your 18-20% body fat somewhere. Losing the extra when it's located in your stomach is hard work when your body fat is already pretty good. I know that my legs and arms look sickly skinny yet I still have extra fat in my midsection, for example. So I'd have to work pretty hard to get rid of it (and frankly I can't be bothered at this point).
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Yes.
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    edited August 2016
    Genetics play a role in body types and physical traits but does not rob us of the potential for peak fitness or optimal health.
    If you want to look good, feel great and live well, the answer is the same regardless of genetics.
    Eat right...exercise...and the devil is in the details.
    The harder you work, the better your results will be. It's just that simple. I ate myself fat, then worked myself back to being very fit and healthy. My genetics did not change; my actions changed.

You should decide exactly what you want, then make a plan that will work. TAKE ACTION...and in time, you will achieve the look you desire.

Good Luck!
  • AJF230
    AJF230 Posts: 81 Member
    Genetics must also play a role in metabolism too. Not an overwhelming role but enough to pack on pounds over months if you are not aware. Take me. My "predicted" base metabolism rate based on height and weight was 14% higher than what was measured when I was tested by breath. Then, using the body composition scanner, even that scan had me 60 calories per day higher than the breath test. Set yourself to "maintain" using that seemingly trivial higher number, and you put on around 2 pounds per month!

Genetics is not an excuse, it is something to be aware of and then adapt yourself to deal with.

Don't get me wrong, I love MFP and use it daily. But I had to go get accurate numbers for myself to set it up. I see now why people might have issues seeing it not work. Set your daily intake too high and don't record stuff diligently....recipe for no progress.
  • healthy491
    Thanks everyone !
  • healthy491
    AJF230 wrote: »
    Genetics must also play a role in metabolism too. Not an overwhelming role but enough to pack on pounds over months if you are not aware. Take me. My "predicted" base metabolism rate based on height and weight was 14% higher than what was measured when I was tested by breath. Then, using the body composition scanner, even that scan had me 60 calories per day higher than the breath test. Set yourself to "maintain" using that seemingly trivial higher number, and you put on around 2 pounds per month!

Genetics is not an excuse, it is something to be aware of and then adapt yourself to deal with.

Don't get me wrong, I love MFP and use it daily. But I had to go get accurate numbers for myself to set it up. I see now why people might have issues seeing it not work. Set your daily intake too high and don't record stuff diligently....recipe for no progress.

Interesting... So how do you know if you have a slow/fast metabolism?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    healthy491 wrote: »
    AJF230 wrote: »

Interesting... So how do you know if you have a slow/fast metabolism?

Expensive testing. Unless your doctor suspects a real medical problem, it's really not necessary.