Eeeeeeek......

Okay, so I go to the gym with my co-worker, who is a tiny tot of a woman---compared to me!!!:laugh: So, we do some exercise, and she said it was her day to weigh in----she weighs on Wednesdays. So, we stroll on over to the scale, which looks like an animal scale to me (big ole silver box just lying on the floor, and it's about a 3 foot wide surface!!!)...:tongue: She steps on the scale, and I hear her sigh...."Oh, my goh...I totally gained a pound. Okay, your turn!" I look at her with absolute disgust :grumble: because the scale reads 127.8 pounds---and she's like 5 feet 5 inches tall! By no means is that fat!

I try to play it off and tell her that I don't weigh in until Sunday, and I don't want to see where I am at this point because I don't want to be disappointed! :ohwell: She INSISTS I get on! So...without opening my eyes, I step on the scale, and WHAT DO I HEAR!!!???? :frown: The GASP of a lifetime!!! I just about slapped her silly! She looks at me and says, "Oh, migod! You TOTALLY don't look like you weigh that much! Are you serious??? Is this right???"

Okay...my feelings weren't COMPLETELY hurt, but now I know that she THOUGHT I was a lot smaller than she imagined!! :laugh: :drinker:

Replies

• Okay, so I go to the gym with my co-worker, who is a tiny tot of a woman---compared to me!!!:laugh: So, we do some exercise, and she said it was her day to weigh in----she weighs on Wednesdays. So, we stroll on over to the scale, which looks like an animal scale to me (big ole silver box just lying on the floor, and it's about a 3 foot wide surface!!!)...:tongue: She steps on the scale, and I hear her sigh...."Oh, my goh...I totally gained a pound. Okay, your turn!" I look at her with absolute disgust :grumble: because the scale reads 127.8 pounds---and she's like 5 feet 5 inches tall! By no means is that fat!

I try to play it off and tell her that I don't weigh in until Sunday, and I don't want to see where I am at this point because I don't want to be disappointed! :ohwell: She INSISTS I get on! So...without opening my eyes, I step on the scale, and WHAT DO I HEAR!!!???? :frown: The GASP of a lifetime!!! I just about slapped her silly! She looks at me and says, "Oh, migod! You TOTALLY don't look like you weigh that much! Are you serious??? Is this right???"

Okay...my feelings weren't COMPLETELY hurt, but now I know that she THOUGHT I was a lot smaller than she imagined!! :laugh: :drinker:
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    That's terrible! I wish people would be more sensitive. :angry:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    I think you would have been justified in slapping her. :grumble:
  • sunflower8926
    sunflower8926 Posts: 485 Member
    With friends like that...:noway:
  • BEFORE
    BEFORE Posts: 1,291 Member
    That sounds like someone trying to be supportive but just keep digging a deeper hole.
    Sometimes what ya say and how it sounds R 2 different things.

When U reach your goal U can look back andf laugh at this situation.
    :flowerforyou:
  • JennyBanker
    JennyBanker Posts: 49 Member
    wow i would get another work out buddy quick!!
  • oh man!
  • Oh, you better believe she's not going to the gym with ME anymore!!!! :wink:
  • Wow, I'm sorry. :cry: I wish I could believe (for You) that she thought you were less but I've known girls like her and she needed to say something. She's totally sensitive :explode: and you should have slapped her :blushing: . I'd would definitely find a new workout buddy. She isn't really there for YOU. I have a co-worker who probably weighs 95 pounds wet and she constantly stands in the walk way and says "do I look fat today?" "I feel so fat today" You're getting the idea right? I have been heavy my whole life and been dieting as long and people who do those things are the worse because they are very thoughtless people. I always say she was the head of the mean girls in high school. We all remember them right! Again, I am sorry that happened to you and hope your next workout buddy really is a buddy. dj
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Ah, the joy of being able to say "No".

After all, it was HER day to weigh in. :noway: :smile:
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Rofl... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I totally would have run the other way with that one. I like looking smaller than I actually weigh. In fact, when I told DH how much I weighed (we had been together for 2 years before I actually gave him an honest number) these were the first two sentences out of his mouth.

"Wow, you are really compact. You must have really heavy bones."

BONES?! :laugh: :laugh: I cracked up. So take it as a compliment! She sounds like a great friend! :drinker:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Look at it this way. She could have said "that's about what I guessed you at":bigsmile:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    uh oh, I don't know how I would take that.
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    I must be weird but I am totally honest about my weight and I really do not care what people think but I like to hear them say they would never have thought I weigh as much as I do they always think I'm lying that I weigh 100 less. I wish! I always loved the guess your weight booth at the fair- I won every time! Must be my heavy bones LMAO!:laugh:

Amy:bigsmile:
    118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    I weigh MUCH more than I look like. I have gotten used to people freaking out. I had a coworker ask me what size I wear and, being honest, I told her a 12. She looked shocked and said, "Wow, I didn' think you were that big." Um.....thanks?????:laugh:
  • lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    LOL this totally goes with the open letter I just wrote.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/35943-free-therapy-another-open-letter?page=4
  • OMG...she's a :devil: incarnate isn't she..but...

you know her better than we do..do you think she was being supportive and it came out wrong ie..would it have sounded better if she would have said something like..oh I think the scale is wrong because you look fantastic?

..... or do you think she meant it as a dig :grumble: ?

As someone who doesn't know her from a hole in the wall...based on her (fake) sigh and comment on her weight gain and her insistance that you get on the scale right after her..it sounds to me like she's the kind of person who uses other people to feel better about herself..

My advice..use her as a leg press weight and heave her the heck out of there. You need to surround yourself with people who make you feel good about yourself and your efforts to achieve your goal....but who also kick your butt when needed....with respect and affection.:drinker: Cheers to you and your efforts to get in shape and be healthy..:wink:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    I get that a lot, actually. When people ask how much I weigh, I don't mind telling them, and I always get "SERIOUSLY?! You're that heavy?? You don't look it at all." So what if I'm heavy? I have a good amount of muscle mass and apparently I carry it well. Don't let your weight or what other people think of it define your self image. :smile:
  • ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    i woulda slapped her lol:grumble:
  • Starrotts
    Starrotts Posts: 164
    :flowerforyou: ur the better person so ffffff her..good luck on ur journey.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!