Herbalife in court

Replies

• nikesandbows
    nikesandbows Posts: 38 Member
    Yeah because they are a giant ripoff like all the other MLM schemes. I hope others like It Works, Shakeology, Thrive, wtc gets sued too. I really don't know how anyone could fall for that crap honestly

I don't sell shakeology and I'm not "brainwashed" (before that comes up), but BB actually helped me. I was able to get off some medications, my blood test finally came back normal after years of hormonal/electrolyte imbalances, and before I hurt my hip, I went from 220-160 with a 25% body fat from 34%.

The products actually work if you put in the work. Granted not everything works for EVERYone. I'll admit Itworks is a load of crap and I've never done research on trive.
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    I get contacted about every 6 weeks from somebody I might not have heard from in years.
    It's gotten to where I can smell the deception.
    s1j6c7c15zk5.jpg
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2016
    Yeah because they are a giant ripoff like all the other MLM schemes. I hope others like It Works, Shakeology, Thrive, wtc gets sued too. I really don't know how anyone could fall for that crap honestly

I don't sell shakeology and I'm not "brainwashed" (before that comes up), but BB actually helped me. I was able to get off some medications, my blood test finally came back normal after years of hormonal/electrolyte imbalances, and before I hurt my hip, I went from 220-160 with a 25% body fat from 34%.

The products actually work if you put in the work. Granted not everything works for EVERYone. I'll admit Itworks is a load of crap and I've never done research on trive.

Maybe their workout videos helped you improve fitness/burn more calories for weight loss but that couldve been done with out them. As for shakeology it is extremely low quality and full of *kitten* that does nothing. Congrats on your improved health but you couldve done it with out beach body for a lot cheaper.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    When I was in undergrad, I almost got caught up with a knife company MLM. I had gone for a week of "training", given them a check to buy my own set, and started to call my friends to give them the sales pitch. Then I panicked when I realized how STUPID it all was, went back and demanded my check back. Wow, were they convincing though, about how much money I'd make selling those knives. Lesson learned, thankfully without financial loss and when I was young enough to benefit from the mistake.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member

If you did "all the work" would you still be off the medicines? That's the piece no one seems to ever really get at.

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member

So with the right diet and exercise and some beachbody products, I can lose weight, too?
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member

It wasn't because of beach body. It's because you consumed fewer calories than you burned and you got some exercise. You did it, not BB.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited August 2016

If you did "all the work" would you still be off the medicines? That's the piece no one seems to ever really get at.

Maybe I am reading your response incorrectly, and apologies if I am, but if any company made a claim in their advertising that their shakes could diagnose, cure, mitigate, treat, or prevent any disease (aka a "disease claim") they may be subject to receipt of a letter from the FDA. There is nothing in Herbalife shakes that one cannot get from whole food sources. Interestingly enough, in addition to the FTC issues in the OP, a quick google search shows letters from the FDA dated December 17, 2014 (regarding a YouTube video hinting at FDA approval), and March 30, 2010 (finding that substances were adulterated within the meaning of federal law).

The dietary supplement industry isn't regulated like the drug industry, and silly claims are made pretty regularly as a result. There are some independent labs that do testing, and while I generally avoid supplements, I'm careful to research the couple I do take (creatine and protein powder). Be wary of any company making grandiose claims, or wanting you to buy products in order to make you money (MLM).
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    htimpaired wrote: »
    When I was in undergrad, I almost got caught up with a knife company MLM. I had gone for a week of "training", given them a check to buy my own set, and started to call my friends to give them the sales pitch. Then I panicked when I realized how STUPID it all was, went back and demanded my check back. Wow, were they convincing though, about how much money I'd make selling those knives. Lesson learned, thankfully without financial loss and when I was young enough to benefit from the mistake.

I got hooked up with the knife company you may be referencing in 1980. I bought my own set for demos and all, never made any money, but let me tell you- 36 years later those knives are still amazing!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,928 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Congratulations on your weight loss and improved health, but the Beachbody products didn't help you - the weight loss helped you. Most people who lose a significant amount of weight experience similar improvements in their health/medical conditions. There's nothing magical in Beachbody's scam products that can cure diseases - if there was anything in them that was truly effective, they would be medicines and would be regulated by the government. Shakeology is nothing but a poor-quality protein shake with trace amounts of a bunch of woo products added in (yes, so-called "superfoods" are pure woo). The results you got were because you "put in the work", as you said. Rather than give the credit to Beachbody, congratulate yourself for your hard work, perseverance and dedication - you deserve the credit.

Several years back an intelligent, hard-working friend of mine got in touch with me about an awesome 'business' opportunity. He sent me some information and the first thing that jumped out was that the material was all geared towards selling the idea of financial gain and independence. When asked about the actual product or products I'd be selling, there were no concrete answers. When I asked him how well he was doing with it, he told me that he was just beginning and hadn't seen any actual returns yet.

As a personal favor to him (being a long-time friend), I agreed to meet with his 'manager' in a local Burger King. Yes, Burger King. After a short spiel, this hair-gelled dude told me to get out my phone and begin listing everyone in my Contacts...name and number. "Not going to happen." Especially when this 'manager' was not willing to show me invoices of sales or proof of his own income. Even though he had stated that he was earning several thousand dollars a month.

Sometimes it can be difficult to be firm with your oldest friends. I did let him talk me into going to a meeting with the 'regional manager' at this manager's house. There was also a young couple present, and they seemed excited to learn more. Once again, this 'regional manager' made the pitch about how much money we'd be making, how great the company was...he was just selling a promise or selling hope. Once again, this 'manager' also refused to show me any proof whatsoever.

"How much did you earn through ________ last month?"
    "Well, for me, personal income is a private matter."
    "I agree. However, you're trying to convince me to buy a 'franchise' and you just volunteered information about your personal income. You JUST told me you have been averaging over $5,000 a month. You JUST said that. Can you show me? All I am asking for is someone to show me an earnings statement for last month."

Anyway, that ended the little meeting and on the way home my friend called. I had not set out to embarrass him---although I kind of found it offensive that he thought I would buy into something like that. It definitely strained the friendship. It also caused trouble for him with his family.

I had a very similar (and equally sketchy) experience years ago with a friend trying to get me into Scamway (Amway) products. That was my first encounter with MLMs and it left a bad taste in my mouth. Since then I've seen several friends/relatives become MLM salespeople. They have absolutely no training in nutrition or fitness and have taken no initiative to learn anything beyond the hype spewed by the companies they sell for, yet they're somehow now qualified to be "coaches" and "help" other people. Their "help" consists of selling overpriced snake oil and repeating health nutrition lies that sound like they come straight from the Dr. Oz show. Oh, and pestering all their friends endlessly (and annoyingly) on social media about their products. I've blocked every one of them because I got tired of the never-ending sales pitches.

tl;dr - MLM products are worthless junk and the "coaches" who sell them are frauds.

Srsly tho, the Amway stain removal spray is the BEST. It gets out everything. Except pen once in a while. It's the only thing I buy and I definitely wouldn't sell it lol.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    cabwj wrote: »

I got hooked up with the knife company you may be referencing in 1980. I bought my own set for demos and all, never made any money, but let me tell you- 36 years later those knives are still amazing!

Could have been filthy stinkin rich, I tell ya!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,928 Member
    edited August 2016

I want to ask you if you are my ex.. but my ex didn't give back the knives... and I don't think he ever clued in that he'd have to actually try if he wanted to sell those knives. But I guess that's what happens when you tell your flunky ex to get a job :/

Of course, you are female so I know you're not him lol. Good thing you caught on when you did! Fun story at least!
  • 808Trish808
    808Trish808 Posts: 122 Member
    edited August 2016
    I still got my knives from a "V" company and 20+ years later they still do the job!!!
  • 808Trish808
    808Trish808 Posts: 122 Member
    cabwj wrote: »

I deleted too much of the quote lol but those knives are still amazing!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Congratulations on your weight loss and improved health, but the Beachbody products didn't help you - the weight loss helped you. Most people who lose a significant amount of weight experience similar improvements in their health/medical conditions. There's nothing magical in Beachbody's scam products that can cure diseases - if there was anything in them that was truly effective, they would be medicines and would be regulated by the government. Shakeology is nothing but a poor-quality protein shake with trace amounts of a bunch of woo products added in (yes, so-called "superfoods" are pure woo). The results you got were because you "put in the work", as you said. Rather than give the credit to Beachbody, congratulate yourself for your hard work, perseverance and dedication - you deserve the credit.

Several years back an intelligent, hard-working friend of mine got in touch with me about an awesome 'business' opportunity. He sent me some information and the first thing that jumped out was that the material was all geared towards selling the idea of financial gain and independence. When asked about the actual product or products I'd be selling, there were no concrete answers. When I asked him how well he was doing with it, he told me that he was just beginning and hadn't seen any actual returns yet.

As a personal favor to him (being a long-time friend), I agreed to meet with his 'manager' in a local Burger King. Yes, Burger King. After a short spiel, this hair-gelled dude told me to get out my phone and begin listing everyone in my Contacts...name and number. "Not going to happen." Especially when this 'manager' was not willing to show me invoices of sales or proof of his own income. Even though he had stated that he was earning several thousand dollars a month.

Sometimes it can be difficult to be firm with your oldest friends. I did let him talk me into going to a meeting with the 'regional manager' at this manager's house. There was also a young couple present, and they seemed excited to learn more. Once again, this 'regional manager' made the pitch about how much money we'd be making, how great the company was...he was just selling a promise or selling hope. Once again, this 'manager' also refused to show me any proof whatsoever.

"How much did you earn through ________ last month?"
    "Well, for me, personal income is a private matter."
    "I agree. However, you're trying to convince me to buy a 'franchise' and you just volunteered information about your personal income. You JUST told me you have been averaging over $5,000 a month. You JUST said that. Can you show me? All I am asking for is someone to show me an earnings statement for last month."

Anyway, that ended the little meeting and on the way home my friend called. I had not set out to embarrass him---although I kind of found it offensive that he thought I would buy into something like that. It definitely strained the friendship. It also caused trouble for him with his family.

I had a very similar (and equally sketchy) experience years ago with a friend trying to get me into Scamway (Amway) products. That was my first encounter with MLMs and it left a bad taste in my mouth. Since then I've seen several friends/relatives become MLM salespeople. They have absolutely no training in nutrition or fitness and have taken no initiative to learn anything beyond the hype spewed by the companies they sell for, yet they're somehow now qualified to be "coaches" and "help" other people. Their "help" consists of selling overpriced snake oil and repeating health nutrition lies that sound like they come straight from the Dr. Oz show. Oh, and pestering all their friends endlessly (and annoyingly) on social media about their products. I've blocked every one of them because I got tired of the never-ending sales pitches.

tl;dr - MLM products are worthless junk and the "coaches" who sell them are frauds.

Srsly tho, the Amway stain removal spray is the BEST. It gets out everything. Except pen once in a while. It's the only thing I buy and I definitely wouldn't sell it lol.

I got conned into Amway as a teenager and have been trying to remove that stain ever since . . .
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    It's all crap. A solid nutrition and exercise plan will do the same, especially a plant based diet. Hard work pays off!