What changed your mentality to want to lose weight?

I have over 100 pounds to lose, sometimes I feel like it's very discouraging and give up for a moment. But I eventually try again. It's a rollercoaster, this has been my struggle since childhood so I have many bad habits to break. If you felt like this let me know what helped you.

Replies

• rise92
    rise92 Posts: 2 Member
    This is exactly me as well. Amazing, your post was the very first one that I've ever read on here and it fits me perfect. It might sound ridiculous, but the factor that has played a part in me wanting to lose wait has been love. I feel like most women want a man in shape and if there is someone I like, I try to use them as a motivator.
  • My best friend whom I just visited back home this past week has lost 100lbs, if she can do it so can I. I got back home seriously thinking about home much I needed to change my life and how much better I would feel once I did so. For the first time in my life I finally feel like this is something I can do if I want to bad enough. So let's do this! :)
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    I was hovering at 500 lbs last March. I will never forget the day because it was my 45th birthday and I was miserable. Not just physically, but mentally and emotionally as well. I cant say that I have yo yo dieted because I have not. However, every time I seriously tried to lose weight I did. I had not even bothered for years. I was deeply depressed and had fooled myself that I was okay at that weight because I had no major health issues. I did not really have an a ha moment. I just was tired of being miserable all the time. I decided to do something about it. Once I started, it was so easy for me that I do not worry about falling off the wagon, because this has truly become my way of living now. I monitor what and how much I eat. I started out walking at home with Leslie Sansone. I have progressed from 1 mile to 4,5, or 6 depending on how much time I have.
    I should tell my story more but I don't. When I do, what i say is that if I can do this then anybody can.
    You have to be determined that it is what you want. It is simple, but not necessarily easy. I get up at 4 am everyday to exercise. I plan, weigh and log what I eat. If you are committed you can do it. I have had periods in the last year and a half when I have gained weight. Even when I gained, I knew I would lose the weight again. For me the mental obstacle was the biggest hurdle.
    NO matter what, DO NOT GIVE UP!!! Believe in yourself. You are worth it. I am a living example. I have lost 150 lbs to date. I dont starve myself. I eat regular food. God bless you!!
  • hopejaye75
    hopejaye75 Posts: 51 Member
    Christmas Facebook photos of me a family member posted and also turning 40 and not wanting to have to worry about being unhealthy going into 41..
  • almostanangel21
    almostanangel21 Posts: 143 Member
    edited September 2016
    After the last final of my 1L year, a friend took a picture of us out celebrating, and I was horrified. I'm planning on going into public-sector law, and while my GPA is excellent, I'm afraid that an interviewer will look at me and see an undisciplined, unprofessional person. At the same time, my husband was diagnosed with fatty liver - this on top of high cholesterol and high blood pressure - and he refused to take it seriously or make any lifestyle changes that could help us have a long, healthy life together. The thought of losing my spouse scares me. I started my own diet and exercise changes in hopes of setting a good example for him. Plus there's the fact that, um, certain parts of being married are difficult when you don't feel desirable or confident. (That's coming 100% from me, not from him - he married me when I was 30 pounds heavier than I am now.)

The other prong is that I have clinical depression and anxiety, and I'm in an incredibly academically challenging, high pressure program. There's a ton of studies that show exercise is an excellent natural antidepressant and stress reliever, plus it helps improve cognitive function. Exercise gives you endorphins, endorphins make you happy, and happy people don't get Cs on their finals. They just don't!
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    edited September 2016
    I changed in an instant due to the medical realities associated with my obesity.
    The chickens had come home to roost.
    :o
    Another motivation were various pictures that totally revealed how fat I was, and that bothered me as well.
    Being "tagged" on FaceBook crushed my delusion that, though a bit heavy, I carried it well...lol
    NOPE!
    I was fat - F. A. T.
    I decided NO MORE OF THIS! That was 6 years ago, and I lost 110 pounds total and have maintained for almost 4 years. I will never be that fat, sick guy again....
  • I spent a whole week if vacation eating terrible and feeling miserable. On 8/29/16....right after my son went home to California. ...I had a little bit of time of personal honesty with myself. I decided that the next time I see my son again...hopefully March 2017....I want to look and feel better about myself. I'm ready to change eating habits. Portion control, adding more whole foods., no sweets...White bread and drinking more water. Im done feeling this way. I'm tired and so ready to make the changes.