Leaning up- cut carbs & up fats OR just drop cals?

Some people say you should drop carbs and have more healthy fats when cutting, others have said to keep your ratios the same and just slower your caleries so your in a calerie deficit, that's it. Any ideas? Wat works best for you?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    To lose weight, all you need is sticking to a calorie deficit. To be able to stick to a calorie deficit, you have to eat well. For many people, this means cutting down on fast food, junk food and sweets, and eating more meat, fish, whole grains, fruit and vegetables. This usually skews the ratio naturally towards lower carb.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    A calorie deficit results in weight loss. Lower carbs and higher fat can reduce your appetite to make it easier to adhere to a deficit.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    If you are focused on maintaining muscle in a deficit, advice typically is to keep protein at about .8 g/lb (if a healthy weight already, if not use your goal weight). What that means is that when cutting calories you often won't cut protein as much as everything else (depending on what that number is and what you are currently eating), but will cut more from fat and carbs. How much from each doesn't matter much -- depends on what helps you have a satisfying diet and feel good for your workouts, but you'll want to make sure you have certain kinds of fats (so-called healthy fats) in your diet -- the kind supplied by fatty fish (for omega-3, the easiest source, not the only source), some vegetables, avocados, olives, nuts, and seeds.
  • deholm
    deholm Posts: 11 Member
    I've been eating a low carb high protein diet for 8 weeks n have lost 8 lbs. Next week I'm starting carb cycling for 3 weeks n have no idea what I'm doing...yet.