is it a one rep max?

I was messing around with some weights and thought I'd like to try a clean and press, which I'd always been warned against because poor form can be dangerous and I don't have an expert handy. Anyway, I did 64 lb. (not an Oly bar, obviously) one time, could not have squeaked out another, BUT I went back about 3 minutes later and did it again. Is that still a 1RM?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Yes. Your 3 min rest made the next rep a new set
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Nice work!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Great but...maybe you could do the same at 70 or 75 max?!
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Thanks everyone; I appreciate the help.
    @lorrpb I think you might be right. The fact that I could do it again three minutes later makes me think I wasn't pushing quite hard enough. I'll have to wait till I can get a decent spotter and find out if that's true.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Just because you can repeat it 3 minutes later doesn't necessarily mean it isn't your 1rm.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited September 2016
    Also I think you shouldn't be worried about 1rm, etc until you learn how to do them correctly as it could be recipe for major injury.

As a beginner you should be nowhere near your 1rm and it isn't something you should be frequently testing. You should be learning using a lighter weight
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone; I appreciate the help.
    @lorrpb I think you might be right. The fact that I could do it again three minutes later makes me think I wasn't pushing quite hard enough. I'll have to wait till I can get a decent spotter and find out if that's true.

Get on a 5x5 program for a while. It's fun to test them once in a while but it's wiser to stick with a set program and resist the urge until your form is locked in.
  • Sara1791
    :smile: I was about 7 weeks into Stronglifts when I decided to take a break because working out under fluorescent lights in a stuffy gym when I could be in the sun was not appealing to me. I made a choice and I'm pretty happy with it. But don't worry, winter is coming. Like I said, I was messing around - as in having fun, goofing off, curious. Does no one do that?
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,903 Member
    I'm all for trying new things for the fun of it. Just be careful with what you experiment with when you don't have a spotter. Basically anything where the weight is above you, I make sure I get trained how to do it right to avoid injury. (Ask me about my experience with incline bench presses...)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    :smile: I was about 7 weeks into Stronglifts when I decided to take a break because working out under fluorescent lights in a stuffy gym when I could be in the sun was not appealing to me. I made a choice and I'm pretty happy with it. But don't worry, winter is coming. Like I said, I was messing around - as in having fun, goofing off, curious. Does no one do that?

Be careful.
    Messing around, "goofing off", imperfect technique and 1RM with an overhead lift really isn't a great combination!
    Have you practised bailing out if you didn't quite make your 1RM?

Have I messed about?
    Sure - I've also pinned myself to the bench, torn a tendon, torn out sutures etc....
    Maybe I'm older and wiser now but I very rarely go under 3RM, the higher chance of injury compared to the benefit isn't worth it to me.
  • Sara1791
    I hear ya. I'll have a good spotter next time. Thanks for the warning.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Having a spotter on clean & press is meaningless. The danger is if you are using poor form in a dynamic movement.

• Sara1791
    :)
    rybo wrote: »
    Having a spotter on clean & press is meaningless. The danger is if you are using poor form in a dynamic movement.

OK.