1900 calories a day?

Hello. I'm 5'9 and 189. My goal weight is 169 and I set my weekly pound lose to 1.5. With this setting I was given a daily calorie intake of 1900. That seems very high to me. Is that the usual amount for weightloss?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    That does seem a bit high. What activity level did you choose and does it match your (non-exercise) daily life?
  • regankles
    regankles Posts: 7 Member
    I'm 115 pounds and maintain on around 2000 calories with no exercise. You should lose on 1900 especially if you are exercising.
  • Chrismadison100
    Chrismadison100 Posts: 70 Member
    That seems high but I suppose it depends on your metabolism. I am 56 and I try to limit my daily calories to 1500.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    For 5'9" that could be right depending on what you put your daily activity level. The taller you are gets you more calories.
  • sunnegirl3000
    sunnegirl3000 Posts: 2 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    That does seem a bit high. What activity level did you choose and does it match your (non-exercise) daily life?

I chose "active" because I walk quite a bit. When I lowered it to "lightly active" it dropped to 1500 but that seems kind of low to me. Lol i can't win.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    You can manually set your own calorie goal by using the Goals page. Set it at whatever you want it to be.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    First you have to figure out your TDEE. Re-run the numbers at sedentary & maintain. That's your starting point. 1500 might be right then. You need to eat about 500 calories less per day / 3500 less per week to lose 1 pound.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    I set my goal for 1800, because 1500 sounded like being hangry all the time. LOL. Plus, it's pretty close to maintenance for my goal weight, so it seemed reasonable to me.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »

I chose "active" because I walk quite a bit. When I lowered it to "lightly active" it dropped to 1500 but that seems kind of low to me. Lol i can't win.

Activity level is based on your job. Walking for exercise would not be included in that. The 1500 you get for sedentary is not including walking so you can definitely eat your exercise calories back.