21 Day No Junk Food Challenge....

2»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    kgeyser wrote: »
    IIRC this is the one:

8f9c82199f2877c752e17dffc368ea70.jpg

I don't really understand the peanut butter thing, but I think I could probably do it. I don't eat a lot of that stuff frequently enough to where it would really be a challenge.

Thank you, I didn't see this before I asked for a definition of junk food.

As for that list...in my perception, all of that is just food. I could probably do it because I don't care for a lot of the foods on the list (donuts, soda, pastries, and a few other), and some I eat occasionally (candy, cookies), and yet others I eat often (chocolate, peanut butter, bread, ice cream).
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    It sounds....sad.
    It's pointless. And what happens after day 21?

Come on.....you know......

Day 22 is a binge! :D
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    It sounds....sad.

Well in that case! :lol:
    Then it's back to day one after a good ole haribo cleanse!1
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited September 2016
    IIRC this is the one:

I don't really understand the peanut butter thing, but I think I could probably do it. I don't eat a lot of that stuff frequently enough to where it would really be a challenge.

21 days without ice cream or chocolate? Count me out. My coworkers would be ready to lock me out of the building by day 3..lol

Also, I wonder what else is being thrown into the "spreads" category aside from peanut butter. Pesto maybe? Hummus? Never thought of those as 'junk'.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2016
    It sounds....sad.

Or the person that did the challenge realizes they were eating some of the junk foods out of habit, not really enjoying them and either eliminates or reduces their consumption, making a positive contribution to weight loss/maintenance (assuming not replaced with something else).

There was a theory at one time, now often refuted that it takes 21 days to break a habit, probably where the 21 day challenges come from.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/inside-the-mind/human-brain/form-a-habit1.htm

If the person is binging on day 22, may want to seek professional assistance.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    It sounds....sad.

Or the person that did the challenge realizes they were eating some of the junk foods out of habit, not really enjoying them and either eliminates or reduces their consumption, making a positive contribution to weight loss/maintenance (assuming not replaced with something else).

There was a theory at one time, now often refuted that it takes 21 days to break a habit, probably where the 21 day challenges come from.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/inside-the-mind/human-brain/form-a-habit1.htm

Nice to see someone finding a positive side for a change. People are always quick to jump on the negatives.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    IIRC this is the one:

21 days without ice cream or chocolate? Count me out. My coworkers would be ready to lock me out of the building by day 3..lol

Also, I wonder what else is being thrown into the "spreads" category aside from peanut butter. Pesto maybe? Hummus? Never thought of those as 'junk'.

The other images I saw mentioned Nutella, so I'm thinking they probably mean that in addition to things like those cookie butter spreads, marshmallow fluff, etc.
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    Yes, I have done that challenge. What is it going to physically hurt to give up those products for 21 days and see how you feel at the end of it? None of those foods contribute to your overall health - question on peanut butter. And well, Chocolate for mental health! j/k If you don't feel any different than before, then it won't really matter if you reintroduce those foods within your calorie allotment. For me, being old, it does make a big difference in energy, sleeping habits, weight control, and blood pressure to limit if not completely cut out most all of those foods. So, again, try it, see how you feel!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    It sounds....sad.

This is pretty much how I feel about challenges, and I think they can be a good thing. Sometimes a person just need some structure and a time-limited goal as the push to try something new. Sometimes they learn it isn't for them, sometimes they discover something new about themselves or it generates a new interest. Maybe someone doing this program would discover they were eating stuff out of habit, or the creativity in making up for those foods led them to discover they really like cooking and searching out new recipes, flavors, and ingredients that they wouldn't have tried before.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    I've never done any of these sorts of challenges but if not eating junk food for three weeks would be an actual challenge (hard to resist, not sure what you would eat) I think it's a great idea to try and see how you make out.

Being able to prepare, eat and enjoy good-for-you-food is a skill/taste worth developing, in my opinion. Good luck! :smile:
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    The problem is that the list is ridiculous and random and includes non "junk" food
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    IIRC this is the one:

I don't have to do this challenge, I already know what would happen after day 21. I would eat everything on this list in vast quantities and gain several pounds within a week.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    The problem is that the list is ridiculous and random and includes non "junk" food

The absolute items on the list posted are somewhat irrelevant. Everyone has their own list of calorie dense, low nutrient foods that may give them issues in trying to control their weight. Dropping items from the diet (or making another change) for a period of time, i.e, a challenge can help some drop or reduce on a permanent basis.

I was able to quit a 3-4 Diet Pepsi a day habit when I gave it up for Lent one year. Now maybe drink one a week.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    IIRC this is the one:

4 of the things on this list I eat almost daily. Eating those foods has not hindered my weight loss b/c I stay within my calorie goals. But if you want to do it, good luck! I truly wish you the best with it and I hope that you gain some insight from participating in it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Yeah -- if someone thinks they have a poor diet or aren't eating enough nutrient-dense foods or too much "junk" food, I am all for changing that, and starting with a shorter period of time if you think that feels more do-able.

I also have personally benefited from cutting things out for a specific amount of time, when I had specific reasons why I was doing it.

But most of these popular things aren't really well-thought-out, the person doesn't understand why certain foods are being chosen, and plenty of "junk" foods are technically part of the permitted list, so one can just substitute. Better to figure out for yourself what you want to cut down on or cut out for a while, have good reasons beyond a challenge, and -- most important -- have an idea of what a good diet is and what foods you should be eating.

As I said above, I don't think doing that would be much of a challenge (I'll use my vanilla protein powder, not the chocolate, LOL), but I also don't see the point. I'd think it would be better to focus on something positive like eating what you should be and not going over calories or cutting out things that truly are overeaten by you and might be a challenge.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    First off no interest at all in doing an "avoid junkfood" challenge, I like my junk food. Second, just because I'm curious now, in whose world is peanut butter a junk food? I get the rest of the items on there...but peanut butter? Just because something is calorie dense doesn't make it junk food.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I said okay, but I don't get the "or spreads" part. Any sandwich filling? Or some American peanut spread that isn't peanut butter? :o