Hypothyroidism and Weight Loss?!!

13»

Replies

• GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    Living with hypo/hashimoto can be trying at times. However, not life threatening if treated and you take care of yourself. I'm 58 and my levels fairly normal with my meds and a diet of gluten free, soy free, soda free, - I know some folks don't go down that road, but it makes ME feel better. Less bloated, less fatigued. Even with the meds I was experiencing issues. Losing the weight wasn't too hard - maintaining the loss is a daily struggle. But, worth it! Studied quite a bit, did elimination time periods and found what makes me feel better. Everyone is different. Just be vigilant with your health. My 82 year old mom has also been on thyroid meds since her 30's. My 104 (!!) yep, 104 year old grandma had her thyroid out many many moons ago and still kicking it living on her own.
  • pinksparklefairy
    pinksparklefairy Posts: 97 Member
    I agree with those who say that as you eat less, your metabolism eventually seems to slow down to match it. I found the only way to counteract this is some high-intensity workouts.

I have just read about some new HIIT workouts in the water, which sound perfect as it's gentler on the joints than jumping around but still works your body just as hard (I so much hate burpees!!) Apparently they are currently only available in London though.

• StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    I find it interesting how many people with Hypothyroid also seem to have food allergies or intolerance. I was diagnosed with hypothyroid at 8 years old, my sister wasn't diagnosed in her early 20's. We both have gluten intolerance and wheat allergy. I am sensitive to the hormones in dairy and soy. I am also finding that I do much better on a low carb/high fat woe.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    I was diagnosed with Hashi's at the age of 11 (I'm now 34). Over the years I've increased doses from 25 mcg to now 150 mcg. I'm still playing around with my levels. I was able to lose weight even with a TSH of 40. We are working to get that down. It is possible to lose weight but the closer you get to your goal weight you might notice that it is becoming harder than it seems for others.

Interval training and low/moderate carb consumption with high fat is what helps me personally.

Best of luck to you in your journey!
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    edited September 2016
    Have been to see Doctor about thyroid. He says levothyroxine is the only game in town, take it or leave it.
    And: no smaller dose, either. He says normally for people like me its 175mcgs not just the 100 that I was given. He reckons an even smaller dose would be pointless. But he wanted to take more blood tests- kidney, liver, cholesterol, etc
    So in the interim, I ordered some natural thyroid on the internet.
    Has any one here tried that?

You have a dinosaur doctor. Synthroid is NOT the only game in town. Many of us need T3 in addition to the T4 you get in levothyroxine. How can you tell? By having your doctor order the CORRECT blood tests, not just the fairly useless TSH test. You should be getting Free T4 and Free T3, as well as reverse T3 tests. These are the actual thyroid tests, unlike the TSH, which measures pituitary hormone.

I wouldn't just order medication on line, though. You can make yourself very ill this way. Find a better doctor instead; one who is up on proper thyroid treatment. They're out there, if difficult to find.

• JennifrClaire
    JennifrClaire Posts: 141 Member
    Pawsforme wrote: »
    Have been to see Doctor about thyroid. He says levothyroxine is the only game in town, take it or leave it.
    And: no smaller dose, either. He says normally for people like me its 175mcgs not just the 100 that I was given. He reckons an even smaller dose would be pointless. But he wanted to take more blood tests- kidney, liver, cholesterol, etc
    So in the interim, I ordered some natural thyroid on the internet.
    Has any one here tried that?

I'm confused -- why would you want a smaller dosage of levothyroxine? Are you having overactive thyroid symptoms? What symptoms are you having? What are your numbers?

I was never told what my numbers were. I had no symptoms -apart from being overweight. Then blood tests showed I was hypothyroid and they gave me 100mcg a day after which I gradually developed all the symptoms other thyroid patient have without their meds. Weight gain, depression tiredness etc
    So a year ago i stopped them and felt better, lost more weight etc.
    But thyroid patients on these boards ( as well as in my family) have set me straight on that 'solution': it does long term damage to not take your meds.
    I thought taking a smaller dose would be a good compromise.
    But apparently not.

• brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    brendak76 wrote: »
    I have hashimotos and had no trouble losing a few vanity pounds 2 years ago with MFP and weighing my food. But this last year, despite weighing my food and calorie counting, I've gained almost 15 pounds. I went to the dr yesterday and was SO relieved to find my thyroid levels were way off and I needed a medication adjustment for the first time in 13 years. I thought I'd been feeling off because I gained weight, and I felt like a failure because weight loss is CICO and even though I was trying my hardest I was gaining weight for the first time since my youngest was born 13 years ago. Im relieved to know I'm not crazy and there really was a problem, not just "you're eating more than you think."

I wanted to post a weight loss/ thyroid update here since I've been on new meds. I've lost 5 pounds in 4 weeks without trying at all. I'm not as sleepy and the brain fog has lifted. Getting my levels rechecked in 2 weeks. Super thankful I'm not totally crazy. Hoping the last 10 Hashimotos pounds come off this easily.

• JennifrClaire
    JennifrClaire Posts: 141 Member
    I was lookinh for the name of the enzyme that converts T4 into T3 and I found this article, which might be interesting to people on this thread.
    https://www.nahypothyroidism.org/deiodinases/