Questions for those who have done Breast Reduction surgery

I have very large breasts, and have an appointment to see physican about getting a referral for a breast reduction consultation in which they will evaluate whether I fit as a candidate for insurance coverage - say, 6 months from now - I approach the consultation, and it is approved- does anyone know if I have to maintain that weight until the surgery date?

I assume I won't be allowed to lose weight until the surgery is complete. I have read that the surgery is typically 12 months after the consultation.
12 months with forcing myself not to lose weight seems like such a shame - is this likely going to be the scenario - no weight loss allowed until after surgery? (and recuperation of course)

Replies

• mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    What country are you from? I'm in the states and had a reduction-went to the consultation, scheduled the surgery at the end of that appointment and had it within a month. I don't remember being told I could or couldn't lose/gain weight, but again I had surgery within weeks of the initial consultation.

I can't believe it takes 6 months to get a consult with the plastic surgeon.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    I had a reduction when I was 22 (I'm 46 now). I was told if a person is overweight (I wasn't) they would be required to lose a certain amount to see if they got smaller chest wise before surgery. Otherwise, there were no restrictions with losing weight if a person needed to. I was like mom22dogs. Had the consult, surgery a month later, done. Would do it again in a heartbeat!
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    usually they encourage weightloss before surgery as anesthesia is safer. I know people who had their elective surgery put on hold until they lost weight and/or quit smoking.
  • malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    mom22dogs wrote: »
    What country are you from?

I can't believe it takes 6 months to get a consult with the plastic surgeon.

I am from Canada. The referral can take 3-5 months, and the surgery after consultation wait time can be 12 months. This is the average as stated in the provincial health guide, but I'm sure there are private surgeons who could do it faster, in addition - the actual weight time varies between individuals.

meritage4 wrote: »
    usually they encourage weightloss before surgery as anesthesia is safer. I know people who had their elective surgery put on hold until they lost weight and/or quit smoking.

Yes, but that is if they have not been approved, this is under the assumption that my current weight will be approved.
  • HeathermRVT
    HeathermRVT Posts: 79 Member
    This is always in the back of my mind. Pre-weight loss was an H cup. Almost 30 lbs down and they've definitely gotten smaller but I have yet to get re-measured. They're still much too large for my liking.
    I'm really hoping that with another 30-ish lbs they'll be a size I'm comfortable with.
    I'm in Canada as well and while I love our health care system that is a very unfortunate wait time.
  • malioumba
    I'm really hoping that with another 30-ish lbs they'll be a size I'm comfortable with.

I hope it shrinks down to where you want. =)
  • boomboom70
    boomboom70 Posts: 13 Member
    My surgeon didn't mention weight to me in any way. There again I was only probably 10-14lbs overweight when I had the consultation and he agreed the operation. I had the operation 13 years ago, since then I had another baby and put on 5 stone (I'm in the UK - I guess that's about 60lbs?) and lost it. My breasts were affected a little as in stretch marks so that wasn't ideal - the general advice is to have the operation years before or after you have children - but I'm still so happy with them. I'm sorry that is not answering your question but thought I'd just let you know that in case any of it is helpful or relevant. Good luck!
  • amarneu
    amarneu Posts: 164 Member
    I'm in Canada as well, it likely depends on where you are planning to go - when I was approved initially I was put on a lengthy list for Ottawa, but since moving my closest surgeon is in Sudbury and it will only be about a month after I go for my consult which I'll arrange once my daughter stops breastfeeding
  • carr3107
    carr3107 Posts: 26 Member
    I've had one (highly recommend it). It been a while since your post, but there is no *medical*reason you can't lose weight at a reasonable pace.

My doctor told me that many of her patients are slightly overweight, most of them struggle to lose weight before surgery and about half of them lose weight afterwards.

If they use the Schnur scale (height & weight calculation of how much they have to take to qualify as medically necessary), you may run into issues if you lose too much. I would have been underweight before the number of grams would have been an issue for me.
  • stephaniej2888
    stephaniej2888 Posts: 93 Member
    If you don't mind me asking, how overweight are you? The reason I ask is, if you are significantly overweight then loosing weight would probably reduce the size of your chest as well and you could avoid the surgery all together.
    I know some people need the surgery...doesn't matter if they are overweight or not, but if you are significantly overweight why not try and loose some weight first and see if that helps.
    I am down 21 lbs (still have around 45 lbs to go) and my chest is already down 3" (from busting out of a DD to almost fitting into a D....probably be a full C by the time I'm done.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    If you don't mind me asking, how overweight are you? The reason I ask is, if you are significantly overweight then loosing weight would probably reduce the size of your chest as well and you could avoid the surgery all together.
    I know some people need the surgery...doesn't matter if they are overweight or not, but if you are significantly overweight why not try and loose some weight first and see if that helps.
    I am down 21 lbs (still have around 45 lbs to go) and my chest is already down 3" (from busting out of a DD to almost fitting into a D....probably be a full C by the time I'm done.

I agree. My mother & sister both have had reductions. My sister is very happy, but my mother gained some weight back & her chest just got bigger again. I've lost a ton in my chest. I don't know what my actual size was because I refused to invest more money in bigger bras, but I was at least a UK 36K based on how my 75J's were fitting with extenders. Now I'm down to a UK 30HH/J (depending on TOM) & really not as big as it sounds. I feel quite small & petite. Definitely manageable.
  • malioumba

In my eyes, I'm 35lbs overweight, but according to the BMI - I'm 15lbs from meeting the appropriate minimum before "overweight".

When I was 130lbs (at 5'6 height), my chest was still very very large - yes, they were smaller, but I was still bursting buttons in my bust while my waist was fitted. There is no doubt that even if I were to lose 35lbs, I would still want the surgery.

My appointment is only one month away, and I'm 15lbs overweight. I likely will not get approved.
  • amyk0202
    Hopefully you'll get approved, but if not, there are clothing options:

http://bustyresources.wikia.com/wiki/Apparel

• malioumba
    amyk0202 wrote: »

But it's not about the clothing/appearance - it's about the pain =(
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    malioumba wrote: »

I'm surprised that with only 15#'s they wouldn't approve it. That little bit of weight generally doesn't make a huge difference chest wise for *most* people. I realize for some it might, but boy, that wouldn't have done anything to change my size. I get you with the pain. Very uncomfortable!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    In my eyes, I'm 35lbs overweight, but according to the BMI - I'm 15lbs from meeting the appropriate minimum before "overweight".

When I was 130lbs (at 5'6 height), my chest was still very very large - yes, they were smaller, but I was still bursting buttons in my bust while my waist was fitted. There is no doubt that even if I were to lose 35lbs, I would still want the surgery.

My appointment is only one month away, and I'm 15lbs overweight. I likely will not get approved.

Do you have photos from that time? Maybe if you had proof that even at a lower weight your bust was still large enough to cause you problems, then they might consider it. It seems a bit unfair as well that they might not approve you if you're only 15lbs "overweight", when you'll have to wait months for the surgery anyway and may well have lost that by then.

I don't know if the "rules" vary between provinces, but I'm in Alberta and worked with a lady a few years ago who was obese and was able to get a reduction - she was extremely short (maybe 4'8"-ish) and having a lot of back and shoulder pain, so maybe that also had something to do with it, but she wasn't asked to lose weight before they'd consider it. Would you be able to get a second opinion if this consultant doesn't approve you, or can you try again when you get into a normal BMI range?
  • amyk0202

I know it can be painful for some. I guess I've been lucky. Even at my biggest, I never had any pain. I do make sure my bra band is tight enough to support the weight. I think being morbidly obese & an avid baby-wearer when my kids were little probably helped build up the muscles in my back & upper body. After carrying around an extra 150 lbs plus a 30-40 lbs toddler on my back for years, my chest is nothing.
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Can anyone tell me what size you have to be in order to get a reduction here in British Columbia? I am 5'6" and about 135, which is pretty big for me, but my chest is now 36DD, getting close to 36E, and I'm very uncomfortable with my size, which increased a lot when I went on HRT. The rest of me more or less stayed the same size; just my chest increased. I have to continue on with the HRT because without it my life isn't worth living at this point. I was able to deal with a large bust when I was a bit smaller, but now I ache all the time from my bra band and the straps; in order for the bra band to be tight enough to support me, it's also tight enough to make me feel like I'm suffocating. I can no longer wear anything that buttons up the chest.

Also, who do I have to see to get a referral?
  • malioumba
    edited September 2016
    @SueSueDio

Yes, it does vary from province to province. =)

I do have some old photos and I do plan to bring them to the surgeon in our appointment. I called MSP to ask what the "requirements" are for my province and the woman just said that my provincial requirement is based on the surgeon's recommendation, and having the surgery in a public hospital (can't be a private surgeon). That's all fine with me so far - there are no minimum grams needed, chest size or set BMI - just depends on what the plastic surgeon writes to the provincial health board.

• RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    I think the main thing considered is pain, not weight or size. I'm in BC, and have my consult coming up on Oct 25. I'm 5'3" and currently 155 lbs. I've lost 85 lbs but I'm still a GG cup. I also have arthritis and degenerative disc disease in my spine along with nerve issues from my shoulders down to my hands. I don't think I'll have any problems getting the surgery.